U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,242 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Reputation: 15889

Advertisements

Rainrock, I've seen your Chamber of Commerce-ish photos posted on this forum countless times before, but this is the first time I noticed the little "Equality Forum" rainbow banner on the Center City streetlight. A city that promotes "equality," eh? I'm not used to that up here! Philadelphia just rose a few hundred spots on my "Best Places to Live Besides Scranton" list. Thanks for posting that photo; it made me reeealllllyyy happpyyy!!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,334,251 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You highlight Pittsburgh,Cleveland and Philadelphia as unimpressive but fail to mention Baltimore. Hmm could we be pertinaciously biased.
so because you are ashamed that your city got on his (opinion) list, you feel the need to make other cities look bad. how nice...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,909 posts, read 12,539,254 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Baltimore does have places to avoid indeed but the touristy parts are a lot more impressive than the touristy parts of Philly
I would disagree with that point of view. I've been to Baltimore and the Inner Harbor countless times, I enjoy it and always have a great time but it pales in comparison to Philadelphia's Soceity HIll,Old City,Rittenhouse Square,Benjamin Franklin Parkway,sprawling Fairmount Park(10x larger than Central Park).

SWB yes it is big on equality.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,909 posts, read 12,539,254 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
so because you are ashamed that your city got on his (opinion) list, you feel the need to make other cities look bad. how nice...
OP has made several disparaging comments specifically towards Philadelphia in the past. I've always overlooked them, it was time to make a stand. And where did I make another city look bad? I tried to use as much tact as possible, putting the onus on the poster who has been shedding Philadephia in a negative light. I'm not ashamed of my city, I'm simply trying to educate people who don't know any better.

There are rules and etiquette in the city-data forum. Being from Philadephia I can't criticize NYC, Chicago,LA for density,skyline, overall better city etc., same principle goes here.I can't have an individual from Baltimore constantly busting on Philadelphia, it doesn't work that way. I like Baltimore, you'll never hear me criticize a city or region unless its warranted.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,490 posts, read 16,181,014 times
Reputation: 5646
^I agree. I love Baltimore, but frankly, I find the Inner Harbor to be a bit too kitschy/cheesy touristy to me. I mean if you love having the options of Hard Rock Cafe or ESPN Zone, then it's great. Me, I prefer areas like Fells Point, Canton, and Mount Vernon which have more character and interesting shops and restaurants. Philly's great old neighborhoods do more for me than Baltimore though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 PM
 
942 posts, read 1,069,229 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
rainrock, awesome post on philly. hopefully i'll be there soon.

i'm not surprised at the mentions of los angeles, phoenix & houston, but i am surprised at the mentions of toledo. what makes it so unimpressive? also, i'm glad to see my home city, tampa, not make any lists yet. i guess it's so forgettable that everyone just skipped over it.

here's my picks...

orlando, FL
indianapolis, IN
new haven, CT
raleigh, NC
miami, FL
san jose, CA
buffalo, NY
I think Tampa was mentioned by someone as a very overated city along with where I live Portland, Oregon, and they are right with Portland it is overated a bit, nice but overated greatly
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
 
154 posts, read 642,604 times
Reputation: 71
swb, you got philly right at your fingertips, take advantage of it. for similar reasons, that's one of the reasons i'm hoping to be in philly soon!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,472 posts, read 7,538,234 times
Reputation: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Rainrock, I've seen your Chamber of Commerce-ish photos posted on this forum countless times before, but this is the first time I noticed the little "Equality Forum" rainbow banner on the Center City streetlight. A city that promotes "equality," eh? I'm not used to that up here! Philadelphia just rose a few hundred spots on my "Best Places to Live Besides Scranton" list. Thanks for posting that photo; it made me reeealllllyyy happpyyy!!!
Haha. Did that really surprise you that much? Philly and Pittsburgh have long been bastions of liberalism in Pennsylvania.

Here's something else that may interest you:

Philadelphia's Gayborhood: An Up-and-Coming Gay Destination :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,334,251 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
OP has made several disparaging comments specifically towards Philadelphia in the past. I've always overlooked them, it was time to make a stand. And where did I make another city look bad? I tried to use as much tact as possible, putting the onus on the poster who has been shedding Philadephia in a negative light. I'm not ashamed of my city, I'm simply trying to educate people who don't know any better.

There are rules and etiquette in the city-data forum. Being from Philadephia I can't criticize NYC, Chicago,LA for density,skyline, overall better city etc., same principle goes here.I can't have an individual from Baltimore constantly busting on Philadelphia, it doesn't work that way. I like Baltimore, you'll never hear me criticize a city or region unless its warranted.
oh, I'm sorry! i understand now
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,967,263 times
Reputation: 2129
Default just found this....

Travel magazine says Louisville underrated

Shermans Travel, a national publication, calls Louisville one of the "Top 10 Underrated Cities in America."

It ranked fifth on the list behind, in order, Baltimore; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Houston and Kansas City.



The magazine and its Web site, shermanstravel.com, said: "The Kentucky Derby may be its claim to fame, but the famous horse race isn't all Louisville has to offer.

"This Southern city has loads of small-town charm, a cosmopolitan riverfront district, a diverse art scene, a growing foodie market and its own Restaurant Row.

Also, "Sports lovers should make a stop at the Louisville Slugger Museum; thrill-seekers, take a ride on the world's longest stand up coaster at Kentucky Kingdom; and history lovers, sip mint juleps on a river cruise aboard the Belle of Louisville, a national historic landmark."
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top