U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM

5,861 posts, read 14,066,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Dead, only to wake up again at around 10 or 11 p.m. But I guess I can't argue with you about where Houston needs to go. Regardless, that doesn't mean it isn't a real city just because it doesn't look like some corny Eurocentric hell.

This is the south, people. This is how we live.
Fine. And the Yukon's cities relect how Yukoners live, and Trinidad's cities reflect how Trinidadians live. We are just not impressed!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,775,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Fine. And the Yukon's cities relect how Yukoners live, and Trinidad's cities reflect how Trinidadians live. We are just not impressed!
Well, it's no city's job to impress you. Every city is not for everybody. Some people are "hip" enough to adjust and get with the program and others are just simply snug around one way of life. New York wasn't so great that my parents didn't decide that it just wasn't what it used to be. Now, they live in and love Houston.

In some aspects, every city is overrated and every city is underrated because every city has plenty of things overlooked.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:32 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,892,985 times
Default The ones I like

greetings...

I'm going to take the easy way out on this one. The only larger cities that I really LIKED would be Seattle, Portland, Vancouver..BC, San Francisco, Denver, & Albuquerque. ALL of the other cities would be on my unimpressive list.

Franco

Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM

142 posts, read 956,404 times
My nominee: Hartford, CT.

Hartford has the potential to be a great city. It has a lot of history, there is a lot of excellent historic architecture, and it is right in between NYC & Boston. You even have Trinity College, and the University of Hartford (actually in West Hartford) and probably a few others around. Plenty of literary greats of yesteryear such as Mark Twain & Harriet Beecher Stowe came from or lived in Hartford at one time or another. However, Connecticut has allowed Hartford to deteriorate into a dirty, dull, crime ridden ghetto. It is one of the poorest cities of its size in America, sitting in the middle in one of the richest states. Hartford has no vibrancy or energy what-so-ever. I think the only reason people stay there is because of insurance industry employment opportunities. Even the once famous hockey team, the Hartford Whalers hauled ass out of town. Because of some of the above reasons and more, so did I.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,378,332 times
Quote:
And actually I was all over SanFran looking for something to do. I don't doubt that San Fransisco is a great city, but it's not a great city for blacks; thus, it isn't everything it's made out to be when it comes to culture. If Houston is dull and uninspiring to anyone, then they either came to the city determined not to be happy or weren't correctly informed on where to go.
I'm not sure this is a fair criticism. I lived in SF for six years. In the Bay Area, in general, there are plenty of blacks, although you may find them more in Oakland and other parts of the Bay Area. The Bay Area is VERY diverse. In fact, I used to feel like a minority when I rode the BART train. Asians actually comprise the largest percentage of those who live in the City.

BTW, it's world class and I miss it.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'm not sure this is a fair criticism. I lived in SF for six years. In the Bay Area, in general, there are plenty of blacks, although you may find them more in Oakland and other parts of the Bay Area. The Bay Area is VERY diverse. In fact, I used to feel like a minority when I rode the BART train. Asians actually comprise the largest percentage of those who live in the City.

BTW, it's world class and I miss it.
I liked Oakland, not San Francisco. It's bad enough that it's not a black capital, but it's not even a black city, so there goes your "culture" for you. Funny how Eurocentrism is the ideal American way. Anyway, in many ways, San Francisco is overrated.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,378,332 times
Quote:
I liked Oakland, not San Francisco. It's bad enough that it's not a black capital, but it's not even a black city, so there goes your "culture" for you. Funny how Eurocentrism is the ideal American way. Anyway, in many ways, San Francisco is overrated.
Well, I worked in the financial district of San Francisco and had a four hour commute each day. I was too exhausted to explore Oakland. But I do know they have a Chinatown. I don't understand why it's important to you that something be a black city in order to appreciate it. Furthermore, I don't get your Europe comment. I don't think SF is overrated, and I've been to quite a few places.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:12 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Hartford has no vibrancy or energy what-so-ever. I think the only reason people stay there is because of insurance industry employment opportunities. Even the once famous hockey team, the Hartford Whalers hauled ass out of town.
Thats not why the Whalers moved. They moved to NC to become the miserable Hurricanes, a state where people dont care nor understand hockey. Sooner or later the Canes will fail (like the Preds in Nashville, the Coyotes in Phoenix, the Panthers in Florida) and will end up moving, maybe back to Hartford (yes, there has been rumors in the NHL of that).

Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I worked in the financial district of San Francisco and had a four hour commute each day. I was too exhausted to explore Oakland. But I do know they have a Chinatown. I don't understand why it's important to you that something be a black city in order to appreciate it. Furthermore, I don't get your Europe comment. I don't think SF is overrated, and I've been to quite a few places.
My Europe comment was reference to the fact that San Francisco is a Eurocentric city, plain and simple. My point in saying that San Francisco is overrated is because as the fourth most important city in the United States (arguable) everyone is always saying how much there is to offer, but how can you be a "world class" city and not have something for everyone? Just how am I supposed to praise a city that has nothing for me to do?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,892,985 times
Default Nothing to do!

hello mpope409

Quote:
originally posted by mpope409

Just how am I supposed to praise a city that has nothing for me to do?
It's not that there is nothing for you to do, but rather that you choose NOT to do the things that ARE available.

best wishes.....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-08-2007 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or