U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post
These threads always make me laugh. It's always the same losers coming up with this stuff too.

Every two days I see threads like "Is such and such unimpressive...Which city is an embarrassment....What city would you not miss if it blew up...I would rather die than live in such and such"... It's the same thread over and over again, only reworded. Do these people not have lives or anything else better to do? I guess not.

I could care less who hates what city, but it seems that much of the hatred comes from stereotypes or irrelevant reasoning, often both. These threads are never meaningful. If you're going to make a thread like this, at least go into detail why you hate such and such and provide evidence. Two words cannot sum up an entire city but surely there are people here who would like you to think otherwise.
Agreed. Which is why I do not participate in these types of threads as far as listing cities. They lead to nothing but a circle of people demeaning other cities and people defending their cities. If I do not like a city, I keep it to myself or offer some guidance to what I need to do to enjoy myself whenever I find myself in their city the next time. But you can still have Crossett, Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,318,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Texans do NOT have low self esteem -- Texans LOVE Texas
Not talking about Texas or Texans, more about Houston and some of the Houstonians

Old 06-15-2007, 06:33 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Not talking about Texas or Texans, more about Houston and some of the Houstonians
Well in that case, I can't think of any poster you would be talking about. Every poster from that city I can think of has been nothing but respectful to the people on this forum. Ridicule under any circumstance is childish and demeaning. Not directing this towards you, person, rather anyone else who has an unkind opinion on it.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:29 PM

332 posts, read 359,320 times
I think people don't find Houston very attractive or impressive because it's not your average walkable city with people walking through the city streets. I like Houston alot because their is alot to do there! but if your the type of person who goes to Houston expecting it to be like Chicago or New York than most likely you will find it unimpressive, just accept the city for what it is, which is a sprawled out city with many things to do

Old 07-05-2007, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Worcester, MA. Boston meets Lawrence, minus the jobs, diversity, and public transportation. Home of 13 colleges (including Clark, Holy Cross and, UMass Medical), yet the public schools are terrible, and no one plows the roads.

Fitchburg, MA- Worcester with 1 college, fewer jobs, worse public transit, and more elderly people.

New Orleans, LA. I visited in 1998, and my sister spent 2 years at Xavier. Racist (she saw more than 1 Klan rally), scary, corrupt, and extremely humid.

Other contenders:
Cleveland, OH
Buffalo, NY
Albany, NY
Pleeeze. Boston is more diverse than it was 20 years ago but extremely segregated and one of the most racist places I know. Pretty bad for Latinos and I would not live here if I was black. It's just a bigger version of Worcester. Lived in both places so I know. Only some nearby suburbs are ok. Newton where i live now is very safe but bland, Cambridge, Brookline are ok but just ok, nothing great. the rest is a toilet. Backbay, beacon hill, south end are very bland, gentrified, and homogenized and sterilized like a theme park like wellesley moved to the city. Outside of 128 it's just endless sprawl like the southern cities everyone critisizes but even more sparse with the exception of heavily minority satellite cities Worcester, Lawrence, Lowell, etc aka by locals as 'bad areas'. Lousy weather too.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM

351 posts, read 975,200 times
Detroit
New Orleans
Buffalo
Newark
Jersey City
Gary, IN
Cleveland
St. Louis
Memphis
Miami
Oakland
Baltimore

I don't care for old ran down cities with large ghetto areas.

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 07-05-2007 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 10:21 PM

124 posts, read 404,933 times
Default RE: black city comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I worked in the financial district of San Francisco and had a four hour commute each day. I was too exhausted to explore Oakland. But I do know they have a Chinatown. I don't understand why it's important to you that something be a black city in order to appreciate it. Furthermore, I don't get your Europe comment. I don't think SF is overrated, and I've been to quite a few places.
It's not so much about a place being a black city. The question is does the city have cultural activities and a vibe that appeals to me as a black person. No matter how much we try to pretend that we are all one, in reality we are not quite there yet and culturally blacks and white still tend to exist on different planes. Many blacks enjoy the music of Chante Moore, Sade, Maze and Luther, while 6 out of 10 whites probably couldn't name a single song from either of them. The reverse would probably be true for blacks trying to identify the music of Korn and Kenny Chesney.

On another note, I've travelled all over the United States and to be truthful, San Francisco was probably the most boring and unmemorable (and surprisingly cold and dreary) of all the places I have been to. Admittedly,
it has been many years since I was last there and I would like to give it another try just to see if I can rediscover what all the hype is about. Houston is high on my list in terms of places where I have had the most enjoyable times.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 34,712 times
Default Ogden, Utah

I passed through Ogden, Utah. I will have to say that is one of the worst places I've been. A lot of sketchy people. I was only there for a few hours, but I got a really bad feeling about the place.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM

606 posts, read 2,777,812 times
I like alot of cities, I don't see why everyone is slamming detroti and Cleveland? if you managed to walk around the ctities downtown area, then you could see that it has a lot of nice areas.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
I like alot of cities, I don't see why everyone is slamming detroti and Cleveland? if you managed to walk around the ctities downtown area, then you could see that it has a lot of nice areas.
The downtown area may be nice, but... what about the rest of the city?

I think that's what this forum is about-the WHOLE city in general.
People slam Detroit and Cleveland because they are Rust Belt cities, that have dropped in population more than risen in the past few decades. Detroit alone can be be used in about 5 minutes of a Jay Leno monolouge. They're mainly steriotyped to be crime and drug infested hell holes......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or