Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,963 times

Advertisements

95% of American cities appear the exact same to me due to unrestricted growth.
It's all strip malls of Home Depot and Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Except for a small, (sometimes) unique downtown....I really think people's experience of a town
will be mostly the same if they live there. Visiting may be different of course as you can afford
to live right in the older, walkable, dense, planned downtown section for a few days.

Most people live away from the tourist attractions of their home town and reside in the 'Anytown,USA style' suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
What cities would you consider not to be impressive...

Here is my opinion...

Indianapolis, Indiana: A very bland city overall with very unappealing neighborhoods that mainly have a rural feel to them. For being the 12th largest city in the nation, Indianapolis is a very big dissapointment. No wonder the cost of housing is so much lower then the rest of the country for a region of nearly 2 million people it has so little to do but luckily Chicago is 3 hours away!

Terre Haute, Indiana: I dont even know if I spelled it right but when I went through it seemed like a very generic, unappealing place to me that has seen much better days.Davenport, IL: The only thing that I think is appealing about this city is its close proximity to Chicago.

Indiana has some appealing smaller cities like Bloomington and Richmond and Southern Indiana is very nice with lots of trees but overall its major cities tend to be blah.

Sioux Falls, SD: The economy might be good but the downtown is very generic and it is very, very sprawly in nature.

I like Ohio alot but in my personal opinion have not found Lima or Zanesville, Ohio to very appealing at all
Please. Those cities beats my current city by 10,000 miles!! Come to Lehigh Acres, FL. A small rural bedroom community in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral Metro. A small town with thefts, burglaries, rapes, and other heinous crime galore. Better yet, Lehigh is not even the tip of the iceberg. Immokalee is the very icing on the tip!!! Immokalee is somewhere close to the everglades. It's EXTREMELY rural and barren. I can honestly swear I never saw developed roads ANYWHERE in the town besides the road to get through it. Ugh.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
City I was disappointed in-San Francisco. It seemed so old, nothing new and fresh. I guess I was expecting that. Fisherman's wharf was fine and their science and technology center was great. But that's about it.

I did like Seattle which I was there only briefly about 25 years ago. Yes it was cloudy, but actually I found the people very cordial. Maybe I'm a fit for that city.

Others I really liked include Knoxville and Chattanooga and Galveston.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Land wise, Jacksonville is bigger than Miami.
Population wise, too.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Yeah its also the largest city land wise in the US but thats because the whole county is the city thats why its pop is so big
I know it's an old post but Jacksonville is not the geographically largest city in the US (maybe the lower 48)

Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I know it's an old post but Jacksonville is not the geographically largest city in the US (maybe the lower 48)
Jacksonville is in fact, geographically, the biggest city in the country.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
San Francisco--what's the big deal?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
No, it's not.

Jacksonville, Florida: 767 square miles
Anchorage, Alaska: 1,697 square miles

Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
No, it's not.

Jacksonville, Florida: 767 square miles
Anchorage, Alaska: 1,697 square miles
Correct.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Detroit, Michigan: Can you say ghetto? Try not to get shot at, or carjacked, or robbed within a five mile radius of downtown. If you do make it out, try and avoid aggressive drivers (my parents almost died on three separate occassions driving through Detroit).
1. Leave the freeway
2. It's easy to not get shot, carjacked, or robbed. Downtown is one of the safest areas in the cities and has a crime rate well below city and state averages. Sounds like you've never even been. Also, the surrounding areas, especially within 5 miles, are very nice parts of town on average. It's when you hit 6-7 mile on the east side that it gets bad.
3. Sounds like your parents are those people that almost got me killed because they were going 60 on the freeway and I had to get around them to not get rear ended by a semi. Michiganders drive fast, Detroit is the motor city and has one of the best freeway systems in the world.

On the note of Cleveland, it's comin' back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.