U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,796,255 times

Advertisements

Okay, I must take issue with Jacksonville. How long ago were you here?

I'm not impressed with Daytona Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Salt Lake City (minus the views)
Memphis
Phoenix
Billings
Indianapolis
Raleigh
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Flagstaff
Boise
Jackson

LOL Ive been to many that I wasnt impressed with whatsoever. The above mentioned are the ones that stand out. Booooooring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
I've visited many cities that were extremely over-hyped and didn't live up to my expectations at all. A few notable ones:

St. Louis
Atlanta
Los Angeles
Oklahoma city
Detroit

The only one that I was somewhat impressed with was Atlanta but I think it's vastly over-hyped. Every other one is like a giant toilet.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,650,955 times
Some of the comments about LA are interesting and predictable. The city has always been the subject of both extreme adulation and derision. Such is the burden of fame.

However, the idea that the city falls into the "not impressive at all" category, is absurd.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,027,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Some of the comments about LA are interesting and predictable. The city has always been the subject of both extreme adulation and derision. Such is the burden of fame.

However, the idea that the city falls into the "not impressive at all" category, is absurd.
It is a sprawling sun belt city. It may be the grand-daddy of the sprawling sun belt cities but it's still in the same species.

I think the idea that the city is "not impressive" is mainly due to the hype that is given LA through the media and the fact that it is home to the movie industry. It's just kinda a let down and I know I am not alone in feeling that.

It's an alright place. The weather is great and the beach is cool. There are a couple of cool enclaves. But, on the whole, LA is a sprawling suburb which, apart from the palm trees, you can see anywhere. Blah.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 PM

74 posts, read 445,828 times
Cincinnati
Washington D.C ('cuz nothing says "welcome to our nations capital" like a hooker welcome wagon)
Dallas
New Jersey (ok, so not a city, but thats because I choose Jersey as a whole. As in an option "D. All of the above." Jersey in general.)
Atlanta

Old 04-20-2007, 10:55 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
New Jersey (ok, so not a city, but thats because I choose Jersey as a whole. As in an option "D. All of the above." Jersey in general.)
Uh-oh! Now you did it! You said something unflattering about the Garden State! Prepare for the barrage of red dots to come flying at you shortly because, as I learned from my dealing with most people on that forum in debates, they haven't quite grasped the concept yet of NOT giving people red dots because they "disagreed with the poster." I have yet to come across another forum on here where the people band together to scare off opposition by individually attacking your reputation!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 PM

74 posts, read 445,828 times
The crazy part is that BOTH sides of my family are ALL from Jersey, born and raised. Im the only one in the family tree not from NJ.
Tho I DO give credit that there is nothing on this earth quite like a good ol' Jersey sub....but other than that, I'll pass. LOL!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
The crazy part is that BOTH sides of my family are ALL from Jersey, born and raised. Im the only one in the family tree not from NJ.
Tho I DO give credit that there is nothing on this earth quite like a good ol' Jersey sub....but other than that, I'll pass. LOL!
I actually love New Jersey for a variety of reasons; I just dislike how COMBATIVE most of the NJ forum members here seem to be if you try to disagree with them and have a civil debate. They don't seem to know how to deal with opposition other than to SQUASH it. I know people say I'm beating a dead horse, but the name-calling, red dots, etc. back in December really stung me to the core with hurt, and I have yet to receive one apology from the offending parties. As a result, I'll always love the Garden State but think of its residents as being a bunch of rude jerks. I did nothing to deserve some of the nasty comments I received in replies, PMs, red dot comments, etc., and as long as the guilty parties are content in not apologizing, they can expect me to hold a DEEP grudge.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:57 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
It is a sprawling sun belt city. It may be the grand-daddy of the sprawling sun belt cities but it's still in the same species.

I think the idea that the city is "not impressive" is mainly due to the hype that is given LA through the media and the fact that it is home to the movie industry. It's just kinda a let down and I know I am not alone in feeling that.

It's an alright place. The weather is great and the beach is cool. There are a couple of cool enclaves. But, on the whole, LA is a sprawling suburb which, apart from the palm trees, you can see anywhere. Blah.
Oh man, here we go again with people referring to sprawl as "un-urban." I'm losing count.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:10 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,822 times
Chicago seems underrated compared to coastal cities and the sunbelt sprawl.
I think people are too harsh on Cleveland and Indianapolis, and I don't see why anyone should beat on Pittsburgh or St Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or