U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 09:39 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,794,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Why do people get so irritated and defensive when someone states they weren't impressed with their favorite city? It's not like they're insulting your children. We all have different likes and dislikes in regards to climate, architecture, housing, people, etc. which will naturally lead to one person's hell being another's paradise.

I will say that the least impressive city to me, is whatever city it is that you who are reading this are from. It sucks. I hate your city.

I just like being contentious.
Yes! Why is that??? I wasn't impressed with Houston, therefore I didn't do my homework, I'm not an elite traveler, or I was holed up in my hotel room the entire time. Holy Moly. My God, if I got all up in arms everytime someone said they didn't like NJ, I'd be one unhappy pissed off person 90% of the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,774,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Yes! Why is that??? I wasn't impressed with Houston, therefore I didn't do my homework, I'm not an elite traveler, or I was holed up in my hotel room the entire time. Holy Moly. My God, if I got all up in arms everytime someone said they didn't like NJ, I'd be one unhappy pissed off person 90% of the time.
Well, tahiti, if you would have read on, you would have noticed the part where I said that there are some people who just will never like the city. And it isn't like I attacked anybody for not liking the city. I just challenged their opinion by making sure they weren't judging just one half of the city. I was just saying that of 601 sq. mi., I highly doubt that anybody saw everything there is in the city. And I never said that if you don't like the city that you're not an elite traveler, I said that the elite know what to do when they come here.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well, tahiti, if you would have read on, you would have noticed the part where I said that there are some people who just will never like the city. And it isn't like I attacked anybody for not liking the city. I just challenged their opinion by making sure they weren't judging just one half of the city. I was just saying that of 601 sq. mi., I highly doubt that anybody saw everything there is in the city. And I never said that if you don't like the city that you're not an elite traveler, I said that the elite know what to do when they come here.
but are the elite impressed? if not, are they indeed elite?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
but are the elite impressed? if not, are they indeed elite?
They may very well at times not be impressed. Even as much as Houston has to offer, it lacks a lot. Atleast it lacks a lot for it to be the size and status that it is.

I just think that humans a very adaptable, and it can sometimes take a long time for us to realize that we're in love with a place. Not saying that you'll ever fall in love with Houston, I'm just certain that there was something there that you might not have caught, that might have you wanting to come back.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:01 PM

...which is why I've never written off any city. Even San Antonio that I made a comment about earlier.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
They may very well at times not be impressed. Even as much as Houston has to offer, it lacks a lot. Atleast it lacks a lot for it to be the size and status that it is.

I just think that humans a very adaptable, and it can sometimes take a long time for us to realize that we're in love with a place. Not saying that you'll ever fall in love with Houston, I'm just certain that there was something there that you might not have caught, that might have you wanting to come back.
i'm just razzin' ya. i agree with your last paragraph. i haven't obviously seen everything houston has to offer ( but i have been to the astrodome! ), and if circumstances bring me back, i'll be sure to post ya to find out where i should go. afterwards, who knows, houston may make my "most surprising and impressive" places!!

Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
i'm just razzin' ya. i agree with your last paragraph. i haven't obviously seen everything houston has to offer ( but i have been to the astrodome! ), and if circumstances bring me back, i'll be sure to post ya to find out where i should go. afterwards, who knows, houston may make my "most surprising and impressive" places!!
Is there a thread for that?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,005,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Vegas is a fake shell and not real.

I hate Vegas because it represents everything about the US I dislike. Instead of having it's own culture it has to make a shabby copy of another place.
I agree. That's why I said it is not a city to live in but only to visit. My view of Vegas may have been colored by my stay in the Excalibur on September 1.

Houston on the other hand is a city to live in. Its not geared towards tourists. About the Theater District, downtown in general really needs to have dependable public transportation. Park and Ride seems to run infrequently on the weekends and at night. Driving is the only reliable way to get to downtown and there is no alternative transportation option. The parking garages are a deterrent since parking is usually free at the places outside of downtown. Main Street, is not a shopping street since the Galleria offers free parking garages. Macy's on Main Street is rarely open in the evening and never open at night. Houston needs to get commuter rail and offer a weekend pass like Metra in Chicagoland offers for $5.15 in order to make downtown a destination. A trip from Aurora to the loop on that pass is much cheaper than by car. The $5.15 doesn't even pay for 1 hour of parking or even the gasoline. There shouldn't be a monopoly by the parking garages on transportation.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I agree. That's why I said it is not a city to live in but only to visit. My view of Vegas may have been colored by my stay in the Excalibur on September 1.

Houston on the other hand is a city to live in. Its not geared towards tourists. About the Theater District, downtown in general really needs to have dependable public transportation. Park and Ride seems to run infrequently on the weekends and at night. Driving is the only reliable way to get to downtown and there is no alternative transportation option. The parking garages are a deterrent since parking is usually free at the places outside of downtown. Main Street, is not a shopping street since the Galleria offers free parking garages. Macy's on Main Street is rarely open in the evening and never open at night. Houston needs to get commuter rail and offer a weekend pass like Metra in Chicagoland offers for $5.15 in order to make downtown a destination. A trip from Aurora to the loop on that pass is much cheaper than by car. The $5.15 doesn't even pay for 1 hour of parking or even the gasoline. There shouldn't be a monopoly by the parking garages on transportation.
Long way to go for the City of Houston.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:52 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've visited many cities that were extremely over-hyped and didn't live up to my expectations at all. A few notable ones:

St. Louis
Atlanta
Los Angeles
Oklahoma city
Detroit

The only one that I was somewhat impressed with was Atlanta but I think it's vastly over-hyped. Every other one is like a giant toilet.
Detroit overhyped? On what planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or