U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM

766 posts, read 2,271,383 times

Advertisements

What's up with the "haterade" for Las Vegas? I can understand that if you're not into gambling, it might not do much for you. However, for better or for worse, there's absolutely no other city like it in the world (whether you find it tacky or luxurious). At the very minimum, if a city is going to be considered "impressive", you need to be able to wake up in that place and know immediately that you're not in "Anytown, USA". I think Vegas is actually one of the few places in world, not just the U.S., that lives up to its hype. It's not supposed to be a place of restrained high culture. Instead, it's unabashedly all about crazy excess, and it does it better than anyone else. I'm not saying that I would want to live there, but in terms of getting away to strictly have some fun, Las Vegas is without any peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM

99 posts, read 493,157 times
I feel, Indianapolis is far better than Charlotte. People are good and friendly, its a cheaper place and you have a good nightlife too. What else you want?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
I feel, Indianapolis is far better than Charlotte. People are good and friendly, its a cheaper place and you have a good nightlife too. What else you want?
Culture, educational institutions, parks, indoor and outdoor entertainment facilities, good public transit, interesting neighborhoods, for a few...

Old 04-23-2007, 04:48 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,776,125 times
Nashville
Daytona
Orlando
Atlanta

Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 AM

5,374 posts, read 12,993,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
And actually I was all over SanFran looking for something to do. I don't doubt that San Fransisco is a great city, but it's not a great city for blacks; thus, it isn't everything it's made out to be when it comes to culture. If Houston is dull and uninspiring to anyone, then they either came to the city determined not to be happy or weren't correctly informed on where to go.
This is indeed interesting. I'm black myself and San Francisco is my favorite city. I lived all over the place from D.C. to L.A. and many places in-between. Now I live in Seattle. But SF is such a happening city to me. It's not about a great city for blacks but a great city for ALL people. For me its about beauty, ocean, SF bay, fantastic downtown, walkable, great public transportation, nightlife, weather, charm, great jazz town, great restaurants, architecture, wine country and so easy to get around without driving everywhere.

In all fairness I do travel to Houston quite often and I find it being a different vibe. A vibe I do like though driving is an absolute must. If I did live in Houston I would definately live INSIDE THE LOOP. Far more interesting, not so spreadout and the coolest neighborhoods.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,915,658 times
Honestly, I have to agree with indy and Columbus. They are not that big, not a whole lot to do, there's nothing about them that really distinguishes them apart from other cities...they just are not Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, or Chicago. They are not standout Midwestern cities. Nothing about them makes them special at least in my opinion. I've never been fond of Louisville either. I was pretty disappointed with it. Also, Tulsa and Oklahoma City are just not that impressive either. They are just cities....that's it. There is nothing about them that makes you go wow...this is incredible.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 AM

378 posts, read 1,103,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I never said they were equal to the place they represent, I said a SAMPLE. It's cheaper to go to Las Vegas and get a taste for the city than to go to each individual city. And no they can't equal the REAL thing but it's fun nonetheless.
So are carnivals.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM

20,865 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Default Plains cities

Other cities that are not impressive...
Salina, Kansas
Emporia, Kansas
Lexington, Nebraska
Sioux City, Iowa

Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,460,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Having never been to Houston, it may be the same way, anyone care to fill me in the state of theater in Houston? is it just a big theater district for the sake of being big? or is anything interesting and innovative actually going on down there? because if so, I'd like to hear about it.
Houston has a lively independent arts scene, but like many of the more interesting aspects of this city, you won't hear about it from most Houstonians because they probably aren't aware of it. Check out fresharts.org and spacetaker.org for more on it. For theater, look for Infernal Bridegroom, Mildred's Umbrella, Bobbindoctrin Puppet Theatre, Nova Arts, Dos Chicas, and there are others.

Go to hottowncoolcity.org, too. It's a recently released documentary that aims to shed light on some of Houston's 'hidden gems,' many that are hidden even from native Houstonians.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 24,085 times
wichita, ks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or