Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times

Advertisements

What cities would you consider not to be impressive...

Here is my opinion...

Indianapolis, Indiana: A very bland city overall with very unappealing neighborhoods that mainly have a rural feel to them. For being the 12th largest city in the nation, Indianapolis is a very big dissapointment. No wonder the cost of housing is so much lower then the rest of the country for a region of nearly 2 million people it has so little to do but luckily Chicago is 3 hours away!

Terre Haute, Indiana: I dont even know if I spelled it right but when I went through it seemed like a very generic, unappealing place to me that has seen much better days.Davenport, IL: The only thing that I think is appealing about this city is its close proximity to Chicago.

Indiana has some appealing smaller cities like Bloomington and Richmond and Southern Indiana is very nice with lots of trees but overall its major cities tend to be blah.

Sioux Falls, SD: The economy might be good but the downtown is very generic and it is very, very sprawly in nature.

I like Ohio alot but in my personal opinion have not found Lima or Zanesville, Ohio to very appealing at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Most places in the Midwest don't impress much. Are you going to start talking up Ohio when you move there?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,612 times
San Antonio, Texas: The Riverwalk is nice, downtown is nice and historic but the roads, highway system, and general layout is the WORST I've seen out of any city I've been in. The city is over run by Mexicans (many illegal), and it's just nothing but fields and fields outside city limits. It's a nice, slow, country place.

Cleveland, Ohio: Was at one point nice but slowly deteriorated

Detroit, Michigan: Can you say ghetto? Try not to get shot at, or carjacked, or robbed within a five mile radius of downtown. If you do make it out, try and avoid aggressive drivers (my parents almost died on three separate occassions driving through Detroit).

Gary, Indiana: Enough said.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:00 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Ashland, Ohio. B.O.R.I.N.G. (Shelby, Ohio is a close second)

Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Houston
LA
New Orleans (pre-Katrina)
Boise, Idaho was a disappointment

I guess I am interpreting "not impressive" as "not living up to hype/expectations," as obviously all these places have something natural or man-made in the vicinity that could be looked at as being individually "impressive." But the overall "big picture" was not.

And course, there are countless places that could be listed as having absolutely nothing going for them. There's no point in even starting that list . . .

Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Philadelphia

Hartford

Trenton

Baltimore
Scranton
columbus
cincinnati
richmond
memphis
jacksonville

Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Phoenix!

Most unimpressive place I have ever been. There is such a hype for this place. Sounds like this oasis in the desert and everyone seems to be moving here. But it is the biggest letdown. This place lacks culture, real neighborhoods, transit, nightlife, and soul...pretty much the things that make a city enjoyable to live in! This place is like living in a big, sprawling, dusty suburb. BLAH!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Salt Lake City (minus the views)
Memphis
Phoenix
Billings
Indianapolis
Raleigh
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Flagstaff
Boise
Jackson

LOL Ive been to many that I wasnt impressed with whatsoever. The above mentioned are the ones that stand out. Booooooring.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Buffalo - just miserable
Newark - horrible beyond words
Houston - probably #1 on my list.
Los Angeles proper - such a small downtown for such a large sprawling area
Indy - i get confused with columbus
Columbus - i get confused with indy

"impressive" to me doesn't mean they are a sh**hole (even though I think buffalo and newark are), just left me saying "eh" after visiting.

re: salt lake city - in a absolutely gorgeous setting. i found the ppl to be "different". friendly, but in a weird way. not much to do in the city proper. take away the scenery and it would be on my list as well, but the area left an impression that midwest cities didn't.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I was kinda disappointed with Albuquerque. Maybe it's just because I was staying with friends who had three young chidlren and that was our focus for "things to do," but other than Old Town and the Petroglyph State Park, all I remember is endless acres of cement and stucco.

I'd certainly be willing to give it another try, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.