Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times

Advertisements

In terms of "large" cities- I'd argue the ONLY true large cities, that FEEL like cities are NY, Chicago, SF, and Boston. Therefore, a lot of of supposedly large cities, that do not feel like cities at all (atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston) are dissappointing b/c they don't feel like cities. D.C. is impressive to me despite its crime problem b/c of the monuments, buildings, museums and history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
In terms of "large" cities- I'd argue the ONLY true large cities, that FEEL like cities are NY, Chicago, SF, and Boston. Therefore, a lot of of supposedly large cities, that do not feel like cities at all (atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston) are dissappointing b/c they don't feel like cities. D.C. is impressive to me despite its crime problem b/c of the monuments, buildings, museums and history.
Not trying to pick an argument, but I'm interested in knowing what you mean by "feel like cities." Also, have you been through extensive tours of all eight cities that you mentioned above? It's just that I think just about everyone on this site knows by now that I like "accurate" opinions. Can't really stand when people have only scraped the outline of a city and judge it on that basis.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM

56 posts, read 206,256 times
San Diego, Las Vegas, Miami and Phoenix. I would add Los Angeles too but it has some good culture and world influence going for it. Not so for the other 4 cities!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 PM

56 posts, read 206,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I would have to say San Antonio. It's too big to not have enough to do. I would also say San Francisco. Yuck. I liked Oakland better.

I was very surprised to see so many people list Los Angeles. Now, as for Houston, lol don't even let that city's name come out of your mouth the wrong way:

That city is entirely too huge for anybody in this entire world to get nothing out of it. It's the New York of the south. Only difference is it's wide and not walkable, and it's hot. But it comes in second, only to NY, in a lot of things. The theatre, opera, ballet, symphony, humongous mall, top rated suburbs, the coolest nightlife, bars, inside recreational parks, international dining, gorgeous nature...downtown...ehhh it's getting there, but it's still very big with all those super skyscrapers across the city. Houston is the most surprising and shocking city in the world. Atleast to those who don't do their research before they come.

So if you didn't get anything out of Houston, you were obviously lost or stuck in your room.
mpope 409, I like your style. I get tired of a certain segment of these posters saying that Houston sucks. I can't really add to your post though, you said it all!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies07 View Post
mpope 409, I like your style. I get tired of a certain segment of these posters saying that Houston sucks. I can't really add to your post though, you said it all!!!!
Lol, thank you. You took me in the way back machine with that post of mine. That was back in the days, lol.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:09 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Philadelphia would definitely fall in that category, as well.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM

81 posts, read 333,106 times
Wow. I am really beside myself on this one. This thread is downright laughable.

It seems that the same cities keep popping up. Houston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc. It also seems that these are America's fastest growing cities and have the most potential.

What upsets me is not that you're unimpressed. I could care less if you think Indianapolis or Nashville or Houston or Los Angeles were the absolute most despicable places on the face of the earth.

What I'm concerned about it why you feel that way. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but some of the posts were just downright ridiculous. [insert city here] has no soul...[insert region here]is bland and all of the cities suck...I can't see why anyone would live in [insert city here]... Why would anyone judge an entire city or region for that matter without having the best possible impresson of it? But hey--I guess a city/region is "unimpressive" if it doesn't appeal to urban geeks at first glance, huh?

The same cities that keep popping up are the ones, in my opinion, are very impressionable and have plenty of potential. They would have to be, because if they didn't then people wouldn't keep moving there in droves and abandoning your beloved "true cities". And by the way, if anyone can honestly say that they visit a medium or large city and get nothing out of it, you either were looking too hard or not looking at all. That, or you could be just pretty stupid.

Okay I'm done. Resume the bashing.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,017 times
Here's my list

Houston, TX
San Antonio, TX
Port Arthur, TX
Memphis, TN
Birmingham, AL
Cincinatti, OH
Louisville, KY
Witchita, KS
Philadelphia, PA
Phoenix, AZ

It really pains me that I had to put 3 Texas cities on this list (as it is my neighbor to the West) but in my opinion it was only fair. Do not get me wrong I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these states, unfortunately these cities just did not impress me at all.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I find it so strange how many people put phily on their list. Why?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
^ Well, most of the older cities took a big slide when the white flight suburbanization of America happened. Philly took a HUGE slide. I mean that city was a pit for a long time. I think its resurgence is too recent to be widely known, and that resurgence hasn't gotten far out of Center City yet. People who last visited in 1990 remember the dark days. C.C. Philadelphia is one of my favorite places in the country, but much of the rest of the city still has a LONG way to go!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.