Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

I find something impressive and interesting about all cities. All cities have crime and bad areas. So what. But most cities have something thats impressive and unique about them. New Orleans definately stood out imo. One of the most enjoyable and fascinating north american cities I ever set foot in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Culture, educational institutions, parks, indoor and outdoor entertainment facilities, good public transit, interesting neighborhoods, for a few...
Well, educational institutions it does have. IUPUI, Ivy Tech, Butler University, University of Indianapolis, etc.

Really nice parks, it does lack. Eagle Creek is the one of the largest urban parks in the country, but in the summer, the lake is choked full of algae. Nasty. Water we drink half comes from that and you can taste it in the water. Gross. It can be decent enough in other seasons, but the lake is nowhere near the size of any body of water I would ideally like to live near, so we are out of here in the winter.

If you get out a Google map and have a look at Indy, you will see a lot of green that look like parks at first, but are actually 3/4 golf courses. Fantastic.

Indianapolis is your place if you like your war memorials. There are a ridiculous number of them here.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:20 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,759 times
I agree with Raleigh. I flew all the way out there because it kept getting written up as one of the "10 Best Cities" blah, blah, blah. The countryside in NC is gorgeous but Raleigh was like, huh? I went into town on a Sunday and the whole place was shut down, even Subway Sandwiches. And Cary, NC is the worst. Nothing but chain stores and chain restaurants. Scary.

Artie

Old 06-05-2007, 04:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I agree with Raleigh. I flew all the way out there because it kept getting written up as one of the "10 Best Cities" blah, blah, blah. The countryside in NC is gorgeous but Raleigh was like, huh? I went into town on a Sunday and the whole place was shut down, even Subway Sandwiches. And Cary, NC is the worst. Nothing but chain stores and chain restaurants. Scary.

Artie
Its a sunbelt "boomtown". What else did you expect? I went there when I visited my cousin at the Marine Base in Cherry Point, I thought the town was like Anytown, USA. Nothing struck me as awesome. In fact I was quite bored.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:06 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Raliegh is less of a city than Charlotte. North Carolina is a nice state though. Asheville feels like more of a city than Raliegh and is much smaller.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its a sunbelt "boomtown". What else did you expect? I went there when I visited my cousin at the Marine Base in Cherry Point, I thought the town was like Anytown, USA. Nothing struck me as awesome. In fact I was quite bored.
Dear Spider Man,

Well, this was when I first began my research for a new place to live. It was then I learned that all this stuff in Money Magazine about "Best Towns" is all Public Relations Bunk (PRB). I'm getting ready to hit the road soon. I'm leaving Los Angeles for good. Not sure where I'll end up.

Artie

Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's dead after the pm rush.
Dead, only to wake up again at around 10 or 11 p.m. But I guess I can't argue with you about where Houston needs to go. Regardless, that doesn't mean it isn't a real city just because it doesn't look like some corny Eurocentric hell.

This is the south, people. This is how we live.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 PM

154 posts, read 707,162 times
rainrock, awesome post on philly. hopefully i'll be there soon.

i'm not surprised at the mentions of los angeles, phoenix & houston, but i am surprised at the mentions of toledo. what makes it so unimpressive? also, i'm glad to see my home city, tampa, not make any lists yet. i guess it's so forgettable that everyone just skipped over it.

here's my picks...

orlando, FL
indianapolis, IN
new haven, CT
raleigh, NC
miami, FL
san jose, CA
buffalo, NY

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,393 times
Worcester, MA. Boston meets Lawrence, minus the jobs, diversity, and public transportation. Home of 13 colleges (including Clark, Holy Cross and, UMass Medical), yet the public schools are terrible, and no one plows the roads.

Fitchburg, MA- Worcester with 1 college, fewer jobs, worse public transit, and more elderly people.

New Orleans, LA. I visited in 1998, and my sister spent 2 years at Xavier. Racist (she saw more than 1 Klan rally), scary, corrupt, and extremely humid.

Other contenders:
Cleveland, OH
Buffalo, NY
Albany, NY

Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah, and of course BALTIMORE doesn't have any "iffy neighborhoods!" LOL
Baltimore does have places to avoid indeed but the touristy parts are a lot more impressive than the touristy parts of Philly, especially Fort McHenry, the Inner Harbor, and the Aquarium which just had a major expansion. And the food and culture in Baltimore is very unique.

And I like crabcakes more than cheesesteaks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.