U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,491,876 times

Advertisements

Well, the City of London only has 7,000 people, but metro London has millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,275,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Houston is the largest city in Texas but Dallas/Fort Worth is the larger metro area and San Antonio is the bigger cultural area.
There is no way that SA comes into the picture when compared to DFW and Houston.

Not in your life

Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Default 100% True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Columbus is the largest city in Ohio, but Cleveland has a bigger metro.
Columbus has sucked up all it's suburbs and incorporated to the point of no more growth. Cleveland is a city with many suburbs remaining, doing a great job at refocusing on city growth, mainly growing downtown population. Columbus' downtown is based on gov't and scant business. The short north and German village are the only two entertaining neighborhoods in cols. Cleveland has many vast neighborhoods, Ohio city, tremont, Coventry, Detroit-shoreway, edgewater, Clifton and a downtown that are maintaining residents and businesses.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,323,833 times
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia......even with Philadelphia being twice as large as Pittsburgh both cities offer comparable amounts of Education, Culture and Amenties.....

Philadelphia's proximity to NYC DC and the shore gives it the better edge...

But neither city overshadows the other each dominates their defined regions, both are hated by rural PA and recieve equal amount of attention from harrisburg.....

Most would think that with Philly and Pittsburghs population difference it would be a NYC vs. Buffalo situation in PA but its more a CA LA vs SF both have equal weight in the state.....

Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 AM

267 posts, read 737,938 times
Portugal: Porto and Vilanova de Gaia.
Porto is well known, but the other side of the river has more inhabitants.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM

4,055 posts, read 4,434,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There is no way that SA comes into the picture when compared to DFW and Houston.

Not in your life
In what category? DFW is an isolated, flat, ugly, concrete jungle with zero culture. SA is a tourist destination with authentic culture and food. That's why people come here to the second largest city in TX. On the o ther hand, Austin is much smaller than SA but seems to act more like a city, similar to the way DC seems more like a city compared to Baltimore.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
In what category? DFW is an isolated, flat, ugly, concrete jungle with zero culture. SA is a tourist destination with authentic culture and food. That's why people come here to the second largest city in TX. On the o ther hand, Austin is much smaller than SA but seems to act more like a city, similar to the way DC seems more like a city compared to Baltimore.
dallas is not Isolated. If you ask me SA is more isolated. There is not much south of it or west or north west of it. To its south west there is just poverty. And everything north, northeast or east of it is also within reach of Dallas.

Dallas's importance is largely due to its location. it is not isolated at all. Like Chicago , its location is strategic giving it access to a a lot of the country.

And Austin functionally is much closer to SA than Baltimore is to DC. the gap between SA and Austin is not that wide. I would not compare SA and Austin to DC and Baltimore. Probably Minneapolis and St Paul

Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM

9,046 posts, read 17,333,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
dallas is not Isolated. If you ask me SA is more isolated. There is not much south of it or west or north west of it. To its south west there is just poverty. And everything north, northeast or east of it is also within reach of Dallas.

Dallas's importance is largely due to its location. it is not isolated at all. Like Chicago , its location is strategic giving it access to a a lot of the country.

And Austin functionally is much closer to SA than Baltimore is to DC. the gap between SA and Austin is not that wide. I would not compare SA and Austin to DC and Baltimore. Probably Minneapolis and St Paul
Dallas is topographicly in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps a logical location for a hub on the prairies in terms of distribution, but still a random location for such a huge metro area. No big river, no valley, no coast, just plains. I went to DFW 2 weeks ago and enjoyed Fort Worth a lot more. It had a much more vibrant downtown and more Texas character and charm. Dallas seemed like an LA knockoff. So I would agree with what some other posters have said Fort Worth being the second city, but a much more inviting one. Likewise with San Antonio. I've never been to Houston so I couldn't comment there.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Dallas is topographicly in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps a logical location for a hub on the prairies in terms of distribution, but still a random location for such a huge metro area. No big river, no valley, no coast, just plains. I went to DFW 2 weeks ago and enjoyed Fort Worth a lot more. It had a much more vibrant downtown and more Texas character and charm. Dallas seemed like an LA knockoff. So I would agree with what some other posters have said Fort Worth being the second city, but a much more inviting one. Likewise with San Antonio. I've never been to Houston so I couldn't comment there.

Dallas is in a strategic location dude. From there many things gets shipped and conversly many things get shipped to their en route to other places.

Not being next to the coast doesn't mean being in the middle of no where. sam ewith being near a valley (wth? who needs a valley?)

and I would hardly call any city that is surrounded by 5 million people isolated

Old 10-13-2010, 04:45 PM

442 posts, read 679,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So you are mad at Dallas because it was not the stereotypical Texas you were looking for? That is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.