U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,912,876 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Missouri once was arguable during the antebellum times, not anymore. Missouri is definitely Midwestern nowadays. There is nothing southern about Missouri until you are practically out of the state into Arkansas. St. Louis and Kansas City are very Midwestern, as Midwestern as Indianapolis and Columbus. Ozark Missouri is no longer Southern either, kind of mixed. Every lower Midwestern state, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and Kansas have something Southern about them in their very Southernmost portions, but it is not distinctly Southern. Northern Kentucky tends to mirror the Southern parts of these states. But the vast majority of Missouri qualifies as Midwestern easily. No question about it.

 
Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,772,603 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Missouri once was arguable during the antebellum times, not anymore. Missouri is definitely Midwestern nowadays. There is nothing southern about Missouri until you are practically out of the state into Arkansas. St. Louis and Kansas City are very Midwestern, as Midwestern as Indianapolis and Columbus. Ozark Missouri is no longer Southern either, kind of mixed. Every lower Midwestern state, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and Kansas have something Southern about them in their very Southernmost portions, but it is not distinctly Southern. Northern Kentucky tends to mirror the Southern parts of these states. But the vast majority of Missouri qualifies as Midwestern easily. No question about it.
Actually, according to certain sites, Missouri is arguable. Some people consider it southern.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 3,967,873 times
Reputation: 702
In case anyone still thinks Maryland is Southern, I point you to HL Mencken, the Sage of Baltimore. Read his essay "Sahara of the Bozard" to see what I mean

http://writing2.richmond.edu/jessid/...ed/mencken.pdf

Mencken was a god.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:16 PM
 
70 posts, read 296,652 times
Reputation: 72
I think this map, from my experience, is one of the most accurate ways of seeing where the "South" actually is. The areas in Red (where the leading Church body is Baptist) seem to correspond almost spot-on to the areas that are Southern in culture.

My only qualm with this method/map would be Missouri, which I agree is a Midwestern state through and through. But, I haven't spent a lot of time there, so I don't really know.

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
Which states do you consider The South?-church_bodies.gif  
 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:23 PM
 
Location: IN
20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Reputation: 13304
Post Missouri is mostly southern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
I think this map, from my experience, is one of the most accurate ways of seeing where the "South" actually is. The areas in Red (where the leading Church body is Baptist) seem to correspond almost spot-on to the areas that are Southern in culture.

My only qualm with this method/map would be Missouri, which I agree is a Midwestern state through and through. But, I haven't spent a lot of time there, so I don't really know.

What do you guys think?

I would say that most areas south of the KC Metro and STL Metro are predominantly southern in flavor and culture. The only thing that may be changing this southern flavor would be the influx of newcomers moving into the Lake of the Ozarks area. Your assumptions are generally right. The only areas in Missouri that I consider to be in the Midwest would be the far northern parts of the state that are close to the Iowa border. Kansas City is at the epicenter of several different regions including the Midwest, Plains, and South.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,772,603 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
I think this map, from my experience, is one of the most accurate ways of seeing where the "South" actually is. The areas in Red (where the leading Church body is Baptist) seem to correspond almost spot-on to the areas that are Southern in culture.

My only qualm with this method/map would be Missouri, which I agree is a Midwestern state through and through. But, I haven't spent a lot of time there, so I don't really know.

What do you guys think?

Well, no because it includes the Texas Panhandle and excludes Houston and San Antonio, and there's no way that the Panhandle is more southern than Houston.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM
 
1,075 posts, read 3,247,498 times
Reputation: 1130
Here's what i call the south
TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA

If it were going by accent then
same as above including parts of NC & VA, KY them boys have a big time accent, southern IL from carbondale south, southeast MO, AR
 
Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,772,603 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Here's what i call the south
TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA

If it were going by accent then
same as above including parts of NC & VA, KY them boys have a big time accent, southern IL from carbondale south, southeast MO, AR
Certain parts of NC & VA....hmmmm

So, what did the southern accent just skip over parts of North Carolina and jump to Virginia?
 
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,306,986 times
Reputation: 1410
Sorry...missouri is not "midwestern through and through" its just not. thats not a bad thing....its just not.
 
Old 04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,912,876 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Actually, according to certain sites, Missouri is arguable. Some people consider it southern.
Arguable, but if you live in St. Louis or anywhere north of there, it's the Midwest. Ask just about any Missourian in these parts of Missouri and they will tell you it is Midwestern. I'm one of 'em. A Missourian is the best person to ask when you want to know what Missouri is. It ain't southern except around Cape Gireardeau and south of there. The Southern culture in Missouri is basically when you are into Arkansas. Rest is Midwestern or not southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top