U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 PM
 
Location: IN
20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Reputation: 13287

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Still...what does that have to do with being Southern?
I am just stating the fact that Missouri lags far behind other states in the Midwest when it comes to economic development in rural counties. Missouri is sort of in the middle when it comes to economic development in rural areas, however. The Midwest rural core tends to have more prosperity, while the rural south has more poverty and less economic development, for the most part.
What makes Missouri a LITTLE more like the south is that their tends to be larger numbers of people living in rural counties with few jobs. However, the state tends to do better economically than other states that are located further south.

 
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,768,116 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I am just stating the fact that Missouri lags far behind other states in the Midwest when it comes to economic development in rural counties. Missouri is sort of in the middle when it comes to economic development in rural areas, however. The Midwest rural core tends to have more prosperity, while the rural south has more poverty and less economic development, for the most part.
What makes Missouri a LITTLE more like the south is that their tends to be larger numbers of people living in rural counties with few jobs. However, the state tends to do better economically than other states that are located further south.
Well there's tons of rural areas in all 50 states. Shoot, even look at Illinois. You have Chicagoland, but then the rest is country.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 3,964,527 times
Reputation: 702
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...an_English.svg

Wiki has spoken.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 3,964,527 times
Reputation: 702
Also, there isn't countryside in ALL fifty states. New Jersey has no census-designated rural areas, and Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maryland aren't far behind.

The most rural states are out West anyway - the South is very congested by comparison.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:35 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,768,116 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Yeah but for many articles, Wikipedia is more of an opinionated encyclopedia (often times crap) than a reliable source.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,768,116 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Also, there isn't countryside in ALL fifty states. New Jersey has no census-designated rural areas, and Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maryland aren't far behind.

The most rural states are out West anyway - the South is very congested by comparison.
So there's absolutely no open green spaces in any of those states?
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,594 posts, read 23,708,591 times
Reputation: 3505
Everywhere in the lower 48 is probably more congested and developed than Alaska.
It's certainly not southern.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Definitely shows that the Midwestern accent is far more more dominant than the Southern accent in Missouri and pretty much maps it out exactly the way I figured it to be. I'm really getting tired of all these claims about rural Missouri and Missouri in general being more like the South in ANY WAY, shape, or form. WE ARE NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM LIKE A SOUTHERN STATE!!!! PERIOD!!! Illinois as a whole state is more impoverished than Missouri as a whole state! Tell them that they're more like the South. Anybody who would claim Missouri is more like the South at all in any way, much less compare the whole state to the South and say it in general rural Missouri everywhere is more SOuthern than Midwestern in aNY way, to me needs serious education. MISSOURI IS MIDWEST!!!! NOT SOUTH!!! MIDWEST!!! THE U.S. CENSUS BUREAU, PRACTICALLY EVERY SOURCE OUT THERE CALLS MODERN MISSOURI MIDWESTERN. THE VAST MAJORITY OF ITS CITIZENS THINK IT IS MIDWESTERN, THOSE THAT DON'T SAY IT IS MIDDLE BORDER. AS A WHOLE STATE WE ARE PRETTY MUCH IN NO WAY LIKE THE SOUTH AT ALL AND MORE LIKE THE MIDWEST IN EVERY WAY. THIS OVERRIDES ANY OTHER THOUGHT OR OPINION. This really getting out of hand. A small difference between Missouri and some of its other fellow Midwestern states is being taken and made into a mountain of one. Rural Missouri is rural Missouri...it is not more like the South than the Midwest. The poverty line is the only way to define all of rural Missouri as different from every other Midwestern state. Nothing about it seems Southern to me unless we are talking about Southeast Missouri and extreme Southern Missouri. The poverty thing has more to do with Missouri's own economic policies and its own landscapes and situation than it does with missouri being a southern state. That is the bottom line.

Last edited by ajf131; 04-30-2007 at 09:58 PM..
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_line
Am I missing something or is the Mason/Dixon line located at 39N further to the east? Does the Mason/Dixon line travel further to the south following the Ohio River? Historically the Ohio River was a good dividing line between the north and the south.
Yes it is located at 39 degrees north further to the east, only on the Maryland, Pennsylvania border. IT does follow the Ohio River. And this definition makes Missouri a Midwestern state. And it still is a good divider between the North and South. You can claim with all your statistics Missouri is a Southern state...but I'd like to see you convince all of rural Missouri it is Southern. Believe me that won't sell. The Southern culture and speech patterns in Missouri appear around the Mason-Dixon line which is 36 degrees north when it runs across Missouri. once you are above that latitude Missouri becomes less Southern and more Midwestern. 36 degrees north is practically at the bottom of Missouri.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
 
Location: IN
20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Reputation: 13287
Post St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Yes it is located at 39 degrees north further to the east, only on the Maryland, Pennsylvania border. IT does follow the Ohio River. And this definition makes Missouri a Midwestern state. And it still is a good divider between the North and South. You can claim with all your statistics Missouri is a Southern state...but I'd like to see you convince all of rural Missouri it is Southern. Believe me that won't sell. The Southern culture and speech patterns in Missouri appear around the Mason-Dixon line which is 36 degrees north when it runs across Missouri. once you are above that latitude Missouri becomes less Southern and more Midwestern. 36 degrees north is practically at the bottom of Missouri.
I know a few people from St. Louis and their speech patterns are quite similar to the ones found in Chicago. The Great Lakes region also tends to have a northern cities shift accent or NCSA.
Also you claim that 36N is the dividing line between the north and south. However, how can St. Cloud Minnesota and Springfield Missouri both be considered Midwest cities. St. Cloud Minnesota is located at 46N latitude and Springfield Missouri is located at 37N. Culture, politics, and language patterns are FAR different in these two cities considering you want to group nearly all of Missouri into the Midwest category. I wonder how many people from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, or Iowa would actually CLASSIFY a town like Springfield Missouri has a Midwest city. It would be interesting to find out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top