U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
On the U.S. Map, look at the northern borders of Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Collectively, see how they seem to form a line across the mainland? That's a logical way of separating the geographic southern half of the U.S. from the northern half. As a matter of fact, you should be able to distinguish one from the other at first glance.

Now, as far as culture goes, I'm from Texas and I already gave my educated opinion on that, but think about this (for those of you who like to leave poor old Virginia, West Ginny, and Maryland hanging high and dry): from Virginia, a drive to the real Northeast is much shorter than a drive to the real South. I'm not suggesting these states belong to either or, but I do think they should have their own region .
Thats not true. In Richmond, I'm only an hour and half from NC. I am almost 11 hours from Boston and Im 7 and 1/2 hours from New York City.

IMO, Virginia is where the South began, not only geographically, but historically too.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,082 times
Deep South is Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Upper South is Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Southern Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and southern Delaware.

Its all good well most of it at least.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM

151 posts, read 658,946 times
^ You forgot to put Florida with the Deep South! Thats the most southern it gets!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM

But ironically only extreme Northern Florida is Southern. The rest of Florida doesn't count.

Which is why geography is not always what it seems.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Arkansas is actually on top of Louisiana, lol. And I only said that those states can't be disputed not because of opinion but because they're the only states that are officially the part.

Virginia is argued, Florida is argued, WV-argued, Kentucky argued, and so on and so on. Texas isn't really argued, it's just understood that half of it is in the south and the other half in the southwest (which, by the way, is not an official region).

And correction, Louisiana needs to be added to the undisputed states. Forgot to add that one.
I can't believe anyone would doubt Virginia's Southerness. Its where the Southern culture started !

Old 05-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
...and Virginia seems to be the most popularly debated state. All I can say is that where I'm from, no one I know thinks Virginia is in the south. It's just too far up! And there's snow capped mountains. Something most people down here have never seen. But just so everyone knows, "country" does not necessarily mean "southern." For example, the first believed cowboy ranch in this country was in New York state.

Virginia is not too far up. Its where the South starts and its very hot and humid and its climate is more like the Carolinas than NJ or PA.

And it snows in the South- even in the deep south they get snow in the mountain areas. My daddy talked about ice storms when he was in Mississippi.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
ummm as a Southern, all that are under the Mason Dixon line. But culturally, all below Richmond Virginia and above Orlando Florida. Below MO. and east of New Mexico
I think Richmond Virginia is 10x more Southern than Atlanta or Nashville.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Well don't tell it to me, lol you need to take that up with the rest of Texas. I'm saying what a majority of people here believe. You want to be southern, fine. I could care less. All I'm saying is that down here in the "South of the South", it is not common for people to believe that Virginia is the South. Historically? Yes. But some might even find it an insult that people would think that Virginia even qualifies. But that's not my opinion.

What I can say on my behalf is that I have been to Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg, and Tappahannock. Now, I'm sorry but nothing about either of those places said "south" to me. I should know because I've never lived anywhere but Georgia and Texas. That's just me. I don't know, maybe it's just the black culture of the state that isn't southern. I, for one, felt out of place.
Its funny but we Virginians don't consider Texas the South.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I hate to tell you, but you'd be LOL-ing pretty hard if you talked to people from the deep south. Most people from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, etc. would tell you that Virginia isn't part of the south anymore. And before you go into a diatribe about Virginia's role in the Civil War (as most Virginians do) - I really don't care about the debate, I'm just telling you what's considered a common opinion.
I disagree. Virginia just has a much more distinctive culture that just isnt like Alabama or any place else. Its too unique to be just southern.

But IT IS Southern.

I know lots of Southerners from the Deep South who consider Virginia the South.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Northern Virginia is part of the whole D.C. area "Yuppieville". I grew up in the Washington area - there's nothing southern about it.
50 years ago Northern Virginia was southern. And the natives had Virginia accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or