U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times

Advertisements

On the U.S. Map, look at the northern borders of Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Collectively, see how they seem to form a line across the mainland? That's a logical way of separating the geographic southern half of the U.S. from the northern half. As a matter of fact, you should be able to distinguish one from the other at first glance.

Now, as far as culture goes, I'm from Texas and I already gave my educated opinion on that, but think about this (for those of you who like to leave poor old Virginia, West Ginny, and Maryland hanging high and dry): from Virginia, a drive to the real Northeast is much shorter than a drive to the real South. I'm not suggesting these states belong to either or, but I do think they should have their own region .

Old 04-20-2007, 11:50 PM

165 posts, read 420,477 times
I have noticed that some people from Missouri and Indiana sound Southern. Kansas, too.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:06 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina. End of story.
Plus Virginia, but NOT West Virginia, Maryland, or Delaware.

But more importantly, it depends on how many regions you are dividing the country into. If it's 4, that should be the split. The Midwest, and West, are pretty clear cut. And just put WV, MD, DE into the NE.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:14 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmexandproud View Post
Here's my proposal--these count as the South:
-Tennessee (more than 20 minutes south of Kentucky)
-North Carolina (in towns and rural areas with fewer than 75,000 people)
-Florida (north of I-10 then the Gulf Coast west of Panama City)
-Arkansas (south of I-30/I-40 east of Little Rock)
-South Carolina
-Georgia
-Alabama
-Mississippi
-Louisiana

Do not count:
-Texas: it's so great, it's its own region and country. It's like eight states in one with ten different cultures and types of topography.
-Virginia: It is now a mid-Atlantic state.
-West Virginia: hillbilly and country doesn't mean southern. And, they say "pop." More industrial in history, like the northeast and upper midwest.
-Kentucky: They say "pop," don't know what grits and sweet tea are, and it doesn't have a great deal of that Southern hospitality. Ever been to Louisville, Lexington, and Owensboro?
-Arkansas: western Arkansas is more like Oklahoma and east Texas.
-Florida: south of I-10, it's now New York South
States I consider the "south" are any that seceded from the union.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:19 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,715,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't anybody dare tell a Kentuckian OR a Virginian that they do not reside in the South ... !!
I second that!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,715,728 times
Quote:
Here's my proposal--these count as the South:
-Tennessee (more than 20 minutes south of Kentucky)
-North Carolina (in towns and rural areas with fewer than 75,000 people)
-Florida (north of I-10 then the Gulf Coast west of Panama City)
-Arkansas (south of I-30/I-40 east of Little Rock)
-South Carolina
-Georgia
-Alabama
-Mississippi
-Louisiana

Do not count:
-Texas: it's so great, it's its own region and country. It's like eight states in one with ten different cultures and types of topography.
-Virginia: It is now a mid-Atlantic state.
-West Virginia: hillbilly and country doesn't mean southern. And, they say "pop." More industrial in history, like the northeast and upper midwest.
-Kentucky: They say "pop," don't know what grits and sweet tea are, and it doesn't have a great deal of that Southern hospitality. Ever been to Louisville, Lexington, and Owensboro?
-Arkansas: western Arkansas is more like Oklahoma and east Texas.
-Florida: south of I-10, it's now New York South
wELL EXcuuSE me I'll have you all know that I am from Ky. and already had my grits this mornin..If I aint too tarred ,I reckon to make sweet tea to offer any one who drops in fer a bat to eat this evenin!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 7,369 times
Arrow Follow-up

I am NOT looking to incite fights or harsh criticism with what I am about to say, and I don't mean any of this in a negative, personal context.

I've noticed that Kentuckians, ironically enough, get the MOST insulted when you tell them they're not southern. Some parts of the state might have southern-resembling accents, but culturally and socially speaking, it just doesn't have the feel, aura, or appeal that the rest of The South has! Also, Kentucky is a basketball state, not a football one, and there inlies another difference. I have lived in Kentucky, and I'll say this, it is beautiful.

To the people that have said Virginia, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and parts of Missouri were southern: Y'all are wrong. Sorry.

Of course, I live in Texas, which is so great that it is its own region (greatest country in the world!) But, if I absolutely ever had to leave Texas, I would definitely stay in The South!

Last edited by texmexandproud; 04-21-2007 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: I had too much information

Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 AM

70 posts, read 296,464 times
It's really a shame Virginia is not considered Southern anymore. It is such a beautiful, historic state and is basically the cradle of Southern civilization. But then again Mesopotamia is the cradle of Western civilization and its far from Western now. Any volunteers from Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana or any other true blue Southern states to refill Northern Virginia with Southerners? Then maybe I could move there and feel good about it.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,704,865 times
Quote:
Of course, I live in Texas, which is so great that it is its own region (greatest country in the world!) But, if I absolutely ever had to leave Texas, I would definitely stay in The South!
What if one day you woke up Canadian, like I did, so you couldn't stay in the U.S.A.?

Old 04-21-2007, 01:10 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
Quote:
To the people that have said Virginia, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and parts of Missouri were southern: Y'all are wrong. Sorry.
Well I'm glad THE AUTHORITY on all things Southern has spoken! If you knew the answer, why start a thread? Just to have an opportunity to tell people how "wrong" their impressions are?

No two states are entirely alike, so to kick out some of the "border states" because they don't meet all of the criteria you imagine a Southern State must have seems silly to me. The South isn't one homogenous region (no region is). The South is a collective region due to some shared cultural attributes, a history of banding together, and an accident of geography, but VA is not exactly like AL, AL is not exactly like FL, FL is not exactly like MS, which isn't exactly like TN, etc.

Virginia, for example, is CLEARLY part of the South, historically, geographically, and culturally. They seceded from the Union with the rest of yous, had racially segregated facilities like the rest of yous, love thumping bibles, and even say "y'all" a lot. If VA doesn't belong in the South, where does it belong? Is it its own glorious region like Texas is??? What makes VA NOT Southern? Suburban sprawling mess in the northern portion of the state? Umm, name a major metropolis in the South that ISN'T a sprawling mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or