U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Ahhhh, but that is only so as not to confuse our northern and californian transplants. We'uns say PokeSkins when we iz alone.
Texas to me is too western to be grouped in with the South exclusively.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Hey, that is one of the most pure southern statements I have heard on this subject. LOL.

Only a true Southerner would dare tell someone that. I love it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, now that transportation is so widespread, one can find pockets of Southern Culture all over our country. But....

To be Truly considered a Southern State one must look at the current culture and majority of people who reside in such state.

I'm all for letting Texas be from Texas...they have always been a little different than us anyway.

Now with Virginia...I agree that they fall into what is known to us Southerners as Applichaian with all the coal mines and hills there.

Kentucky....hey, you can't make good whiskey if you are not Southern.

I agree that the panhandle of Florida can still be called Southern, farther down and you have the retired rich influence then the Cuban influence which is Tropical/sub-tropical.

Lousiana is indeed a true blue-blood Southern state with a bit of cajun/French flair.

Tennessee is, has, and always will be a Southern state.

Arkansas? you bet most of the people are Southern to the core...I will condede and say that there is a bit of difference in the NorthWest corner of the state, but hey, they'll come back around.

What I am always truly amazed with is the ferver we have while defending our Northern/Southern/Western status. I usually do not think of it, but when I do and a debate starts, I quickly find my ire rising as I defend the great South in anything.

Being Southern is not really about the war ya know. It is about our culture, our manners and we take great pride in our geentel hospitality. Southerns are naturally a friendly lot, until you cross them, then watch out. We are nosy as well, but we do it with such charm one cannot be offended.

I have lived all over, and let me tell you, we Southerners catch it from Northerners. I can remember coming home in tears from playing with neighborhood children who made fun of the way I spoke. I tried and tried to lose my accent so I could be accepted. It was only when I grew older that I realized how special it was to be Southern, and then I stopped trying to be someone I wasn't. Yes, all regions can be cruel to people who are different which is sad isn't it? Our country was founded on the right to be different without fear of reprisal.

Let us all remember that we might be SOuthern, NOrthern or Mid-Western or whatever, first and foremost we are Americans and that should never be forgotten.

by the way, if you're ever by my way, I will invite you to my front porch for some iced sweet tea and great conversation, being very hospitible and a true Southern belle; just like my grandmother taught me.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,284,933 times
Simple test to see if you are a southerner. Does the term "War of Northern Agression" get you mad or defensive?

Now you Northerners quiet down or we'll sic Texas on you!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Ahhhh, but that is only so as not to confuse our northern and californian transplants. We'uns say PokeSkins when we iz alone.
Lol, shhhhh...

Old 05-22-2007, 05:49 PM

If I had to classify states in general, I'd say that the Southern states are Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida.

Midwestern states:
Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

Southwestern (both Southern and Western) states:
Texas
Oklahoma

Northeast: Maryland, Delaware, Northern and Eastern Panhandles of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine

Every other state I just consider the West.

Last edited by ajf131; 05-22-2007 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,302,914 times
what about the great plains? I definitley think its a mistake to group the plains states with the midwest. Insulting to both and I like both. of course your entitled to your opinion, but the plains is a region just as valid as the midwest, south, pacific northwest, etc.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
what about the great plains? I definitley think its a mistake to group the plains states with the midwest. Insulting to both and I like both. of course your entitled to your opinion, but the plains is a region just as valid as the midwest, south, pacific northwest, etc.
Which states are the plains? I'll give back whatever you define as plains. If you mean Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, and North Dakota, fine, you can have them and I guess Oklahoma as well since that is a plains state. I've also occasionally heard of Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri being considered great plains states...they are included among the Great Plains states but I consider them much more Midwestern.

Last edited by ajf131; 05-22-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
If I had to classify states in general, I'd say that the Southern states are Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida.

Midwestern states:
Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

Southwestern (both Southern and Western) states:
Texas
Oklahoma

Northeast: Maryland, Delaware, Northern and Eastern Panhandles of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine

Every other state I just consider the West.
Southwestern doesn't mean southern and western. New Mexico and Arizona don't have a lick of southern culture in them.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Southwestern doesn't mean southern and western. New Mexico and Arizona don't have a lick of southern culture in them.
Then somebody please reclassify Oklahoma and Texas. I'm trying to argue these states have both strong Southern and Western elements to them. It really wouldn't seem right to me at least to group Oklahoma and Texas in with the rest of the South when they clearly have strong Western elements to them not found in any Southern state.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:12 PM

I for one have grown tired of all these country hick stereotypes being thrown around by southerners themselves. You're embarassing yourself. Stop. Talking about whiskeys and what not?? All of these outdated policy statements and half truths aren't doing anything but keeping the belief alive that all southerners are still slow and backwards. We all know this isn't true, so stop acting like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or