U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:22 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Well I'm glad THE AUTHORITY on all things Southern has spoken! If you knew the answer, why start a thread? Just to have an opportunity to tell people how "wrong" their impressions are?

What makes VA NOT Southern? Suburban sprawling mess in the northern portion of the state? Umm, name a major metropolis in the South that ISN'T a sprawling mess.
Funny!

IMHO, any place that the majority of residents consider "Southern" is Southern. When I was in north central West Virginia, one local, a fellow customer in a gas station corrected me when I asked for pork rinds. He said "Pork Skins; you're in the South now!" What would be the point in argueing with that man? Besides if all the locals believe it is Southern, to me it adds a quirky charm.

I agree with the previous posters, the South is a very large region, and there are different 'brands' of "Southern" in different states, even in different regions within a state.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:38 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,301,103 times
Kentucky is DEFINTLEY the south!!

I'm from Northern Illinois, even Southern Illinois is quite culturally different from Northern Illinois. But, once you cross that border into Kentucky its a different world!!! Its a Southern world....

Now...Texas, technically (and I did learn this in gegoraphy class) is the South in Dallas and Houston and east and north of there. (okay my memory is failing, it may have just been houston, but the point is, there is a geographical line drawn through the state and I learned it in a regional geography class in college

I do not think Texans have the authority to tell Kentuckians how southern they are.... until Texans live in Illinois all their lives and can really tell the difference. And if Kentuckians dont have a southern accent, well what is that then!?!?

Old 04-21-2007, 02:02 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Just drove from NM to PA--and I'd reckon the lower portion of Illinois, Kentucky, and West Virginia are south of me -- Plenty of grits, southern comfort(able) and hospitality. And, certainly, I wouldn't ever exclude Virginia, no matter how many are living in VA and working in the Capitol. They may be transplants, but Virginia is ole South, imo!

Old 04-21-2007, 02:16 PM

52 posts, read 112,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
States I consider the "south" are any that seceded from the union.
Missouri was one of those states they were the last state to join the confederacy. I have been all over the south and midwest Kentucky is definitely apart of south and so is Missouri. There are some t-shirts circulating in the south that says "quit hating the south and missouri, kentucky, and virginia is included.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:55 PM

331 posts, read 1,483,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmexandproud View Post
Also, Kentucky is a basketball state, not a football one, and there inlies another difference.

And yet you DID include North Carolina as southern . . .

Do UNC, NC State and Duke even HAVE football teams????

Old 04-21-2007, 03:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Okay, in my opinion, if it's not piping hot in the summer time, and the Church's chicken isn't entirely too too greasy, it's not the South.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,301,103 times
Well, my first indication that I am in the south would be the sighting of a waffle house -- that would be as soon as I cross the border into Kentucky, and there is one near St. Louis in Missouri.

There are some fakes creeping their way north, but it's not the real thing

Definitley the waffle houses, thats the dead givaway.

And proof...kentuckians are aware of grits!!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 PM

42 posts, read 219,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

Virginia, for example, is CLEARLY part of the South, historically, geographically, and culturally. They seceded from the Union with the rest of yous, had racially segregated facilities like the rest of yous, love thumping bibles, and even say "y'all" a lot. If VA doesn't belong in the South, where does it belong?
sorry but segregation was NOT exclusive to southern states...

Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,964,878 times
True, but the Northern states repealed legal segregation laws well before the South did. Even as far south as Maryland had abolished Jim Crow in the early 1950's - ten years before the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The South had to forcefully be integrated, kicking and screaming every step along the way.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:24 PM

610 posts, read 2,980,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Well, my first indication that I am in the south would be the sighting of a waffle house -- that would be as soon as I cross the border into Kentucky, and there is one near St. Louis in Missouri.

There are some fakes creeping their way north, but it's not the real thing

Definitley the waffle houses, thats the dead givaway.

And proof...kentuckians are aware of grits!!
Duhhh Hey! Ohio has Waffle Houses too.

Kentucky owns land on the north side of the Ohio River - they were the only state to gain land in the Civil War. Kentucky is definitely the south as are little tidbits of those states across "The River". WVA is definitely the south regardless of where it is. No. Carolina is definitely the south ... cause it definitely ain't the north ... as is Virginia.
Seen a touch of controversy over Missouri - someone thinking it was the midwest - and that's a whole other can of worms. I grew up in the Midwest ... and it was Ohio! Don't know which way to argue that but I'm aware of the arguments on both sides. Then, there are other descriptions of the South --- such as having Magnolia trees or red-clay and pine forests - but I was raised in what I call the north. I would much rather eat in the south.
Then, somebody is speaking of the Mason-Dixon line. Gad - it's getting way too technical.
I figure if you're withing 100 miles north of the Ohio River then, you're in the south. Florida doesn't count - that's a tropical place once you get down past Ocala.
I only feel a little odd counting Missouri but not counting Texas and Oklahoma - but that's the story as I see it with my three good eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or