U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,918,613 times

Advertisements

[quote=DefaultAlias;801632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post

The stretch of I-70 between Terre Haute and Indy is tolerable, IMO. The gently rolling hills along with the turns and the patches of forestry in between tend to break up the monotony of Indiana highways and add some variety to the drive, which is good. Now, the stretch of I-55 between Cairo and Memphis is undoubtedly THE most boring stretch of highway I have ever driven on. It's not like other boring highways because on this one, there's nothing out there and it seems endless because the highway is perfectly flat and perfectly straight...

And back to the map for a sec...I agree with ajf and maybe move the transition zone a few miles south so that all of the St. Louis area counties lie in the Midwest zone, and move Dixie up a few miles in Kentucky...but the rest of Dixie is pretty accurately depicted though. Keep in mind the map is just an overall generalization and I think it's fairly accurate.

Agreed. This map is very well thought-out by whoever put it up there. If this were a test, I'd give it a 96-100% (A+)...hehe.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,212,142 times
I'd say from the Ohio River down is south. From North Carolina down is south.
Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and all toward the the east are south to me.
The funny thing is, I don't consider Florida south. I mean, I know it is south but I don't think of it in a country bumpkin kind of way.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 AM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Country bumpkin does not mean Southern anyway. And if you think there are no country people in Florida. Take a trip to the panhandle towards Jacksonville south towards Orlando. You'll find that country bumpkin you was looking for.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Country bumpkin does not mean Southern anyway. And if you think there are no country people in Florida. Take a trip to the panhandle towards Jacksonville south towards Orlando. You'll find that country bumpkin you was looking for.
LOL, I never even been to Florida. This thread asked "Which states do you consider The South? I answered what I considered south, (my opinion).
But thanks for the heads up on the panhandle towards Jacksonville south toward Orlando.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 AM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
I didn't mean to come off as brash with my comment. Just got in from class and was tired lol.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:04 AM

Your fine. I'm tired too.

When I say country bumpkin, I mean country south but yes you are right, country bumpkin doesn't mean the south. Actually I'm in what I consider the south. So I guess I'm a country bumpkin myself.

I want to be a southern belle though. But I'll take the country bumpkin because that is what I am right at this moment. Country Bumpkin to me is a sassy cute way of saying country. I really want to be a California surfer girl though. (But I'm way to old for that).

Did you know that there are retail stores and rental cottages named Country Bumpkin?

When I think of Florida, I guess I think mostly of the beaches and Miami. Pink flamingos and tan bodies. Fun in the sun type of activities. A vacation spot.

Last edited by Roma; 05-31-2007 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 AM

301 posts, read 1,267,435 times
[quote=ajf131;802489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post

Agreed. This map is very well thought-out by whoever put it up there. If this were a test, I'd give it a 96-100% (A+)...hehe.

Some people in the Kentucky forums treat St. Louis as though it's Louisville twin, which must of us know isn't true.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM

81 posts, read 297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
When I think of Florida, I guess I think mostly of the beaches and Miami. Pink flamingos and tan bodies. Fun in the sun type of activities. A vacation spot.
I bet you do. Thanks to Hollywood and it's portrayal of Florida.

Anyone who says Florida is not southern should take a class on cultural geography.

Better yet, anyone who says Florida is not southern should visit Belle Glade, Brooksville, or any Florida town under 20,000 for that matter.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 PM

87,043 posts, read 102,757,343 times
ajf131
Quote:
Plus sweet tea exists at every restaurant there.
What is with this sweet tea business? They have sweet tea in Omaha, for Pete's sake.

In regards to Paducah, it is in Kentucky. And I know people from Carbondale, IL who do not have southern accents. It's a mixed area. Illinois, all of it, is the Land of Lincoln! It is NOT southern.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM

81 posts, read 297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
ajf131 What is with this sweet tea business? They have sweet tea in Omaha, for Pete's sake.

In regards to Paducah, it is in Kentucky. And I know people from Carbondale, IL who do not have southern accents. It's a mixed area. Illinois, all of it, is the Land of Lincoln! It is NOT southern.
Illinois per say may not be southern but those southernmost counties are heavily influenced by Dixie. Carbondale is far south enough IMO to be considered Dixie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or