U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,126,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
Greetings....

I just moved to Colorado after living in Virginia Beach for almost 16 years. In my experience the Hampton Roads area is a mix of both north and south, more closely resembling the north than the south. Whenever I travelled away from the Virginia cities, I experienced a greater sense of being in the south, especially along the US 58 corridor. While travelling through the Shenandoah Valley I felt like I was in heaven. It was neither north or south...just a fabulous unique world of it's own. Virginia is a great state wether it gets classified as a northern state or a southern state. In reality, those classifications are just man made judgements, always open to debate and differient opinions.

Many Blessings....Franco
VA Beach is transient, like northern Virginia so its really hard to classify it.

Same could be said with Florida.

I think Virginia overall is distinctly Southern- and the Shenandoah Valley is very Southern.

I don't see how anyone could classify Virginia as a Northern state unless they were on drugs.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
VA Beach is transient, like northern Virginia so its really hard to classify it.

Same could be said with Florida.

I think Virginia overall is distinctly Southern- and the Shenandoah Valley is very Southern.

I don't see how anyone could classify Virginia as a Northern state unless they were on drugs.
Ok. I've watched this forum grow with amusement. But enough is enough. VAsinger, as a fellow Virginian, born and raised here myself (Franklin County, VA, look it up on a map if you have to) i take offense to you constantly tearing down other people's opinions about how they classify Virginia, just because you dont agree. Me, personally, i really dont care if Virginia is classified as Southern, Northern, Eastern, Western, w/e. Although in my opinion i classify it as Mid-Atlantic as well. But thats not the main point of my argument. My point is you need to chill with this whole idea that no one else can disagree with you and that your opinion is the correct one. It's just that...an opinion. You're not GOD, so your OPINIONS dont mean that they are the official law of the land. Maybe you should go read a book or something instead constantly arguing that Virginia can be nothing but the South when in fact IT IS APART OF THE UNITED STATES and thats all that really matters.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,883,108 times
vasinger

If you take the time to actually read my post, nowhere did I state that Virginia is a northern state. What I actually wrote was this:

Quote:
Virginia is a great state wether it gets classified as a northern state or a southern state. In reality, those classifications are just man made judgements, always open to debate and differient opinions.
Sorry to disappoint you...no drugs were used to influence my opinion.

Have a great weekend and thanks for responding to my post....Franco

Old 06-17-2007, 12:07 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,841,741 times
Cool Missouri is not Southern!!!!!!!

Im sorry to break it to yall but Missouri is not part of the south. The south starts in Arkansas and goes Southeast from there. :

Old 06-17-2007, 03:40 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Im sorry to break it to yall but Missouri is not part of the south. The south starts in Arkansas and goes Southeast from there. :
FINALLY somebody with common sense Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the south, I'm actually considering moving to North Carolina when I finally retire, but Missouri is not the Upper South, not by a long shot, ESPECIALLY the northern half of Missouri. Southern Missouri may have some Southern characteristics but unless you are in the Mississippi Delta counties of southeast Missouri (around Cape Girardeau), it is not Dixie by a long shot. You'd be surprised how much more southern Louisville is than places in Missouri that are further south, like Rolla, for example. Even Carbondale, Illinois, which is practically at the latitude of Richmond, Virginia, is not as southern as Louisville. How is this possible, you might ask? Quite simple...THE OHIO RIVER a.k.a. Mason-Dixon line separating the Midwest and the South. It's quite an accurate divider these days. As an avid traveler, I've crossed it many times so I would know, including the areas where it becomes the 36 degree latitude line in Missouri.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:30 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
ajf I's kiss ya if I could! I love your answers!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
OK, I'll probably get killed for starting this again, but I was in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania last weekend and I saw a sign at a McDonald's that said "Large sweet tea $1.00! There is no way on earth anyone could think that Beaver Falls is the south, and yet McDonald's is advertising sweet tea there. Then I few days later I was driving by a McDonald's in Aliquippa, PA and same advertisement. Apparently, sweet tea is not an indicator of southerness, if it's being sold in two very northern cities.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 PM

4,097 posts, read 10,177,401 times
McDonald's advertized sweet tea in Los Angeles! It has nothing to do with the South.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
OK, I'll probably get killed for starting this again, but I was in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania last weekend and I saw a sign at a McDonald's that said "Large sweet tea $1.00! There is no way on earth anyone could think that Beaver Falls is the south, and yet McDonald's is advertising sweet tea there. Then I few days later I was driving by a McDonald's in Aliquippa, PA and same advertisement. Apparently, sweet tea is not an indicator of southerness, if it's being sold in two very northern cities.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:43 PM

20,855 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Post Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
FINALLY somebody with common sense Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the south, I'm actually considering moving to North Carolina when I finally retire, but Missouri is not the Upper South, not by a long shot, ESPECIALLY the northern half of Missouri. Southern Missouri may have some Southern characteristics but unless you are in the Mississippi Delta counties of southeast Missouri (around Cape Girardeau), it is not Dixie by a long shot. You'd be surprised how much more southern Louisville is than places in Missouri that are further south, like Rolla, for example. Even Carbondale, Illinois, which is practically at the latitude of Richmond, Virginia, is not as southern as Louisville. How is this possible, you might ask? Quite simple...THE OHIO RIVER a.k.a. Mason-Dixon line separating the Midwest and the South. It's quite an accurate divider these days. As an avid traveler, I've crossed it many times so I would know, including the areas where it becomes the 36 degree latitude line in Missouri.
I agree, the Mississippi Delta counties and the counties in Missouri south of Highway 60 should be grouped with the south. It is interesting that you brought up Rolla. Rolla is right near the Ozark National Forest and has more of what I would call "Ozark culture." However, when I have visited this area their were southern accents for sure. However, I often hear more people with southern accents in KC than STL.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
McDonald's advertized sweet tea in Los Angeles! It has nothing to do with the South.

Dawn
Of cuourse it doesn't! That was my point. If you read back through this thread (search it) for sweet tea, you will see that some people are using the presence of sweet tea on a menu to indicate that a place is "southern". I haven't been inside a McDonald's here in Colorado lately, but they are not advertising it here. Probably all the yuppies here don't want to hurt their waistlines with sugar.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-17-2007 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or