U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,129,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
Richmond Va. 44.24N, 72.59W

Louisville Ky. 38.15N, 85.46W

According to this website, Louisville is actually SOUTH of Richmond! The curving lines on the maps can be misleading because they represent the curvature of the earth.

This website provides the latitude & longitudes for many locations in the USA.

USA Latitude and Longitude, Latitude and Longitude of USA, USA Latitude, Latitude/Longitude of USA, USA Longitude, Latitude and Longitude of Important Cities of USA

regards...Franco
Well I took a ruler on the map and Richmond lies just South of Louisville.

Things you get off the internet aren't always accurate. I just look at the map and I can see how the states curve a little so that Virginia and Ketucky slant in the same direction.

Just look at interstate 1-64. It curves in a Northwest Direction going from Richmond to Charlottesville on through West Virginia and to Kentucky.

Looking at the map it doesn't take a genius to figure out Richmond is clearly south of Louisville:

Last edited by vasinger; 06-19-2007 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 PM

301 posts, read 1,267,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Well I took a ruler on the map and Richmond lies just South of Louisville.

Things you get off the internet aren't always accurate. I just look at the map and I can see how the states curve a little so that Virginia and Ketucky slant in the same direction.

Just look at interstate 1-64. It curves in a Northwest Direction going from Richmond to Charlottesville on through West Virginia and to Kentucky.

Looking at the map it doesn't take a genius to figure out Richmond is clearly south of Louisville:

http://www.nova.edu/alumni/images/us_alumni_map.gif (broken link)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/WeatherandForecasts/usmap.gif (broken link)

There is indeed a Southwestern curve the further west you go on the Kentucky and Virginia bottom border.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,917,150 times
Louisville's latitude is relatively correct, actually is 38.25 N, which pretty is the same as 38.15. Richmond is NOT at 44.24 degrees north ROFL!!!! That would make it further north than Chicago, Cleveland, and New York City. Richmond is south of Louisville by about 50 to 60 miles if you place it directly below Louisville. Richmond is roughly at about 37.6 degrees north, around there. Whether or not the capital of Virginia is south of the capital of Kentucky (Frankfort), which Richmond clearly is, has nothing to do with Virginia being south of Kentucky, which it is not. Either state is in the South, anyway you put it. You have to take I-95 NORTH to get to Richmond, not I-95 South. Now unless South and North have been interchanged to mean the opposite definitions of what they refer to, I'm positive that Richmond is south of Louisville

Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 PM

92 posts, read 462,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post

There is indeed a Southwestern curve the further west you go on the Kentucky and Virginia bottom border.
Wow. Your toolishness is mind boggling! Seriously.

Do you know the difference in map projections? Curvature of the Earth?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,892,985 times
LouisvilleJake

Thanks!

regards...Franco

Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,967,263 times
Why are we name-calling? Can't we all give our opinions without being ugly?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleJake View Post
Wow. Your toolishness is mind boggling! Seriously.

Do you know the difference in map projections? Curvature of the Earth?
So what the Hell was that comment for?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
http://www.nova.edu/alumni/images/us_alumni_map.gif (broken link)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/WeatherandForecasts/usmap.gif (broken link)

Yes, and Virginia curves right along with it.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Louisville's latitude is relatively correct, actually is 38.25 N, which pretty is the same as 38.15. Richmond is NOT at 44.24 degrees north ROFL!!!! That would make it further north than Chicago, Cleveland, and New York City. Richmond is south of Louisville by about 50 to 60 miles if you place it directly below Louisville. Richmond is roughly at about 37.6 degrees north, around there. Whether or not the capital of Virginia is south of the capital of Kentucky (Frankfort), which Richmond clearly is, has nothing to do with Virginia being south of Kentucky, which it is not. Either state is in the South, anyway you put it. You have to take I-95 NORTH to get to Richmond, not I-95 South. Now unless South and North have been interchanged to mean the opposite definitions of what they refer to, I'm positive that Richmond is south of Louisville
I think the only way Kentucky is south of Virginia is when you look at the north tips of each state. Now, The northern tip of Virginny is about parellell to Cincinati, OH. However, if you look at Kentucky there's parts of that state that do curve up to the Cincinati line. Its hard to conjecture with the naked eye, though.

The real part of Kentucky that is South of Virginia (as I have said) is that little tiny part near Paduckah that merges onto Tennessee.

That being said, however, most all of Virginia and Kentucky match each other.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I think the only way Kentucky is south of Virginia is when you look at the north tips of each state. Now, The northern tip of Virginny is about parellell to Cincinati, OH. However, if you look at Kentucky there's parts of that state that do curve up to the Cincinati line. Its hard to conjecture with the naked eye, though.

The real part of Kentucky that is South of Virginia (as I have said) is that little tiny part near Paduckah that merges onto Tennessee.

That being said, however, most all of Virginia and Kentucky match each other.
Fair enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or