U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times

Advertisements

Illinois is a northern state. Period. Sometimes political boundaries e.g. state lines are important. Illinois was not a slave state.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,899,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Actually, the furthest south point in Illinois is Cairo, which is at 37N latitude. Meanwhile, most counties in southern Missouri that are at this same latitude are located along and south of Highway 60. Springfield and Joplin are both located around 37N latitude with Branson about 36.5N latitude. West Plains, Poplar Bluff, and Sikeston are both located at around 36.5N latitude as well. So if you are saying that all of southern Illinois is part of the south than southern Missouri should be included for the most part, especially all counties south of Highway 60.
I guess I'm a bit confused by the region you define as Southern Missouri Plains....the areas around Springfield and Joplin and below i could agree on, as for the Southern half of Missouri, I'm not too sure. 37 degrees N at Springfield is still only about a quarter of the Southern half of the state. But if this is what one means by Southern Missouri than yes I agree that Southern Missouri should be included in the South. As far as all of Southern Illinois being in the South, I would not agree about that at all. Southern Illinois begins to take on a more Southern demeanor maybe around Carbondale and it's Southern tips but still overall looks more like the Midwest. The only exception would be the parts around where I-24 begins. That is when you begin to head into the Ohio River bluffs. Southern Illinois I'd deem as a transition area. And technically the people of Southern Missouri I've noticed resemble the culture and people of Southern Illinois. Same attitudes, feel, not the same appearance though. So I'd say around carthage, springfield and joplin, cape girardeau, and sikeston, as probably where a true Southern demeanor begins to emerge in Missouri, although Southeast Missouri is much more Southern than Southwest Missouri. South of Highway 60 is unquestionably the South. In Southeast missouri around the Southern tips of Illinois, the culture is VERY southern. Highway 60 has always historically formed the upper boundary of the South...except for Virginia and West Virginia, it runs parallel to the Ohio River and Missouri Compromise line, which have long been the Mason-Dixon boundaries. Btw, as to a state not being a slave state making it immune entirely to Southern culture, I strongly disagree. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio all have noticeable Southern components to them even though they are overall Midwestern states, as is most of Missouri at least IMO. I know other people disagree over this so I'll just leave quietly before chaos again erupts

Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused by the region you define as Southern Missouri Plains....the areas around Springfield and Joplin and below i could agree on, as for the Southern half of Missouri, I'm not too sure. 37 degrees N at Springfield is still only about a quarter of the Southern half of the state. But if this is what one means by Southern Missouri than yes I agree that Southern Missouri should be included in the South. As far as all of Southern Illinois being in the South, I would not agree about that at all. Southern Illinois begins to take on a more Southern demeanor maybe around Carbondale and it's Southern tips but still overall looks more like the Midwest. The only exception would be the parts around where I-24 begins. That is when you begin to head into the Ohio River bluffs. Southern Illinois I'd deem as a transition area. And technically the people of Southern Missouri I've noticed resemble the culture and people of Southern Illinois. Same attitudes, feel, not the same appearance though. So I'd say around carthage, springfield and joplin, cape girardeau, and sikeston, as probably where a true Southern demeanor begins to emerge in Missouri, although Southeast Missouri is much more Southern than Southwest Missouri. South of Highway 60 is unquestionably the South. In Southeast missouri around the Southern tips of Illinois, the culture is VERY southern. Highway 60 has always historically formed the upper boundary of the South...except for Virginia and West Virginia, it runs parallel to the Ohio River and Missouri Compromise line, which have long been the Mason-Dixon boundaries. Btw, as to a state not being a slave state making it immune entirely to Southern culture, I strongly disagree. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio all have noticeable Southern components to them even though they are overall Midwestern states, as is most of Missouri at least IMO. I know other people disagree over this so I'll just leave quietly before chaos again erupts
Yes, I was saying all the counties in far southern Missouri that are located along and south of Highway 60 should included as being part of the south. Southeast Missouri does have a stronger southern component than Southwest Missouri but the southern influences are fairly strong in both places and the latitudes they are located at are along and south of 37N latitude. For the most part, the only part of Illinois that should be part of the south are the extreme southern counties and those located close to the Mississippi River.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Some southern culture in S. Ill, yes. Is it really southern? Not in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Some southern culture in S. Ill, yes. Is it really southern? Not in my opinion.
And I agree. I think most of Southern Missouri at the same latitude as Southern Illinois has relatively the same influence of Southern culture as its neighbor across the Mississippi. Now when the border shifts from Illinois to Kentucky and TN, then Missouri becomes dominated by Southern culture. It's remarkable how drastic the change is once the neighboring state across the river is no longer Illinois.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Yes, I was saying all the counties in far southern Missouri that are located along and south of Highway 60 should included as being part of the south. Southeast Missouri does have a stronger southern component than Southwest Missouri but the southern influences are fairly strong in both places and the latitudes they are located at are along and south of 37N latitude. For the most part, the only part of Illinois that should be part of the south are the extreme southern counties and those located close to the Mississippi River.
Agreed Plains.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,873,308 times
I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina and we all called soft drinks, pop. We are getting so many people from everywhere that the last time I took one of those "where are you from" tests, I had to take it twice in order to be Southern. I took another test and registered Southern and then took the advanced that included phrases and came up Northern. Boy, that was a shock. I didn't bother to take it over though. You see who I am.

A few years back my daughter moved a little north of Richmond. She called home telling me how they make fun of her Southern accent. She is also blonde. She said, Mom they say they are Southern, but they're not. I told her not to worry about it. It is an advantage when people think you are less intelligent than you are. It wasn't long until she was their boss.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:48 AM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
I grew up in Texas and we called soda, soda. I never heard of people referring to soda as coke until I came on the internet. Also, all the big cities of Texas call it soda too.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,946,269 times
I call it coke. Always have. My kids, however, call it soda though I am not really sure why.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,839,560 times
Here we go again. It does not matter what the lattitue is, or that a state has "southern components" or even southern influence.

The states that are in the South are; Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or