U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times

Advertisements

THE SOUTH:

Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
It's apart of the state isn't? Why it might be common knowledge that Northern Va is Northeastern, It is also common knowledge that Nothern Kentucky is Midwestern!
Despite years of Washington swallowing up our fair state, Northern Virginia is NOT Northeastern.

Its Southern lite. But its a very transient area that has people from all over. Thats why its not likely to be included as typically "southern". Same can be said for Hampton Roads area and many parts of North Carolina.

40 years ago, it was no different than the rest of Virginia.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:19 PM

114 posts, read 468,849 times
"Austin is the fourth-largest city in Texas (behind Houston, San Antonio, & Dallas repectively) the 16th largest in the United States, and the 5th largest city in the South." Wikipedia

Old 07-28-2007, 11:27 PM

666 posts, read 2,253,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Thank you!!!! By the way, where in KY are you?
i live in the east end of Louisville

Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
i live in the east end of Louisville
I'm in the PRP/Shively area myself

Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
okay, the kentucky part...WHERE IN KENTUCKY DOES ANYONE SAY "POP"????, i moved there from ohio and got made fun of for callin coke or soda, POP. as for sweet tea, try and find someplace around here where they DONT serve sweet tea. And as for the grits, go to any Waffle House and you can get as much grits as you want. Maybe you should know a little more about what your talking about before you post it...
Oh and as far as grits you can get them almost any sit down restaurant that serves breakfast.... at least in my part of town. Oh, and don't forget the biscuits and gravy!!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I've been ignoring this sweet tea thing for quite awhile, but wanted to add to the discussion. My Aunt Ann, a German-Catholic who was born and raised in the city of Baltimore (she pronounced it "Bawlimer"), always served sweet tea when we'd visit from "up North" (upstate NY). I had never had it anywhere else. So after reading all these posts on this and similar threads, I'm confused. How could she give us sweet tea when she couldn't possibly be a Southerner since she was a) Catholic; b) German extraction; c) a native of Maryland? (She also made the greatest fried chicken I've ever had. She firied it in bacon grease!)

I too have exercised restraint with the sweet tea thing. I think sweet tea is being given to much leverage as a distinctive southern beverage. For goodness sakes, you can get sweet tea damn near anywhere! And if you cant, just go to wal mart and buy some.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM

443 posts, read 1,387,756 times
Check Louisville slugger on page 52, can't argue with the stats he put up. My common knowledge agrees with the data links he found. Just because you don't want to be considered part of the south doesn't mean you're not part of it. You can twist things and make caveats all you want. The DFW area is at least 50% non southern, but it's base heritage still has to be considered southern. Migration patterns have lended a more Midwestern feel to the city in the modern age, and it's always had a more western bent, Texas has always kind of been it's own creation. But saying Kentucky, Texas or West Virginia isn't southern just isn't right.

And where is austin listed as the 16th largest metro? It's 37th by the lastest census estimates and the 8th largest city in the south.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM

46 posts, read 146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
ummm as a Southern, all that are under the Mason Dixon line. But culturally, all below Richmond Virginia and above Orlando Florida. Below MO. and east of New Mexico

agree with all, rep point coming your way.

while southern florida has been invaded by old northerners the north part of florida is still the old south

northern virginia has still got it's parts but slowly losing out there

Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,904,089 times
Roughly anything in the confederacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or