U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 AM

281 posts, read 343,308 times

Advertisements

Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina...Anywhere else is definitely not the south,(in the true sense of speaking)... line or no line, especially if it snows during the winter (Kentucky), and I'm not speaking of a isolated snowfall or two.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
I took a Southern Politics class in my undergrad days, and we had this discussion. We pretty much agreed that NC, SC, Virginia (despite Northern VA's less southern feel. Richmond was the capital of the confederacy... Virginia was a major player in the plantation economy... Heck, when Booth killed Lincoln, he shouted VA's state motto. Definitely the south), Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee were shoo-ins. Louisiana is a slightly different beat in spots with the french influence, but is still very southern. We all agreed that Texas was its own thing. We debated Kentucky and West Va, and (if I recall) decided that they were at least half southern. My dad grew up in Berea, KY, and if that ain't the South....

Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natchezbreed View Post
Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina...Anywhere else is definitely not the south,(in the true sense of speaking)... line or no line, especially if it snows during the winter (Kentucky), and I'm not speaking of a isolated snowfall or two.
Not even North Carolina?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM

384 posts, read 1,086,100 times
Quote:
Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
I think you are thinking "deep south." It snows in North Georgia at least a few times (I don't know the exact numbers) a year.

Here would be my list:

South:
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
North Carolina
South Carolina
Louisiana
Arkansas

Fringe south:
Kentucky
Virginia
West Virginia
Florida
Texas

Here is a map that is kind of line with that I had in mind (from wikipedia):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/US_map-South_Modern.png (broken link)

The Dark red are almost always included in the south, the medium red are usually included, and the striped states are sometimes included.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

158 posts, read 412,392 times
Quote:
Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
This is absurd to the Nth degree nearly! How are you going to omit certain states due to some snow fall? That makes about as much sense as having a screen door on a submarine! You have:

South Carolina
Mississippi
Florida
Alabama
Georgia and,
Louisiana

mentioned, but what of the others that are clearly Southern? You mean to tell all of us so rigidly, unequivocally, and unambiguously that the states of:

Texas
Virginia
Arkansas
Tennessee and,
North Carolina

are not Southern because they get more snow than some other Southern areas! Weather or climate alone cannot be used as the sole measuring stick to determine Southern or Northern! Several factors have to be included such as dialect, way of life, and general cultures and attributes. History and regional affiliation should also be included, but not something as simple as snow-fall alone!

I'm not getting into all this about the Border States, but even portions or large areas of these Border States:

Oklahoma (half and half)
Missouri (to a lesser degree)
Kentucky (to a greater degree)
West Virginia (half and half)
Maryland (to a lesser degree)
Delaware (to a much lesser degree)

share many ties, more or less with the North and South. Kentucky is by and large Southern. Even I was never this rigid and ended up being flexible on the Border State issues. But these claims go beyond all logic and common sense.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I think you are thinking "deep south." It snows in North Georgia at least a few times (I don't know the exact numbers) a year.

Here would be my list:

South:
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
North Carolina
South Carolina
Louisiana
Arkansas

Fringe south:
Kentucky
Virginia
West Virginia
Florida
Texas

Here is a map that is kind of line with that I had in mind (from wikipedia):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/US_map-South_Modern.png (broken link)

The Dark red are almost always included in the south, the medium red are usually included, and the striped states are sometimes included.

I modestly admit to having been one of those who had a hand in developing that map! LOL. Of course, I was in favor of cutting Delaware totally. However, as some others pointed out, the U.S. Census Bureau includes it in its definition so, like it or not, Delaware DOES fit the criteria of "sometimes" being considered Southern.

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-24-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM

395 posts, read 910,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
This is absurd to the Nth degree nearly! How are you going to omit certain states due to some snow fall? That makes about as much sense as having a screen door on a submarine!...
lol This entire topic is pointless so don't get too upset over it.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM

158 posts, read 412,392 times
I don't get too upset, just flabbergasted...lol! But what's this with Florida being in the Fringe South? Or Texas for that matter. I understand that Florida's been overrun by Northern hoardes for the past 40 years or so, but unlike the Border States, Florida is geographically Southern obviously, founding member of the Confederacy, strong Southern dialect in predominantly all of it's rural towns and counties (at least 60 out of 67 counties). Florida's government is closer to Alabama's, Georgia's, and Mississippi's than with any Northern or Western state. Florida has not always been like Missouri--divided. Florida was once homogeniously Southern from Key West to Jacksonville to Pensacola and everywhere in between. This trend lasted up until the 60s and even early 70s to large degrees. All this has to be taken together. Florida is not the Fringe South. I don't care what Wicked-Pedia says...lol!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
Maryland=not southern what so ever

Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas.

Texas and Oklahoma are both Southwestern and Southern. West Virginia is half Mid-Atlantic and half-Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or