U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,465 times

Advertisements

Ajf131, I am glad to see that you agree with me about West Virginia. At the end of the war many Southerners knew the true story of how WV was formed. If you can find a copy of Why The Solid South by Hilary Herbert you will find a fairly true history of WV. Unfortunately, a lot of the early histories of WV were written by men who participated in breaking up Virginia, such as John Marshall Hagans, Granville Parker, and Granville Davisson. They were later abetted by the Morgantown school of history, personified by Charles Ambler and Festus Summers. All of them perpetuated the myth of Unionist West Virginia. Much of the anti-Secession vote in West Virginia was self-preservation, one of the primary motivations of human existence. West Virginians had no reason to support South Carolina's secession, but they were inevitably drawn into the whirlpool. And most West Virginians, once the war started, stood up for Virginia, but not necessarily for the Confederacy. The process of statehood was out of their hands, it was a process initiated by Wheeling and ecouraged by Lincoln's administration. I find it interesting that the main instigator of West Virginia statehood, John Carlile, had a change of heart. But he had started an avalanche that he could not stop, even as the recognized Senator from Virginia when he tried to sabotage the Statehood bill in Congress. It is encouraging that in recent years historians have taken a fresh look and are re-evaluating the history of West Virginia. I recently had a correspondence with John Shelton Reed about this, and I said that one of the stars in the Confederate flag should have been for West Virginia, and he said that WV shared the Virginia star.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:46 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Colts, don't you know any better than to interfere in a family fight?
LMAO I gotta give you a point just for THAT great line and axiom, sir! (BTW --nothing against you at all, Colts -- you write some great posts -- but you gotta admit that WAS a good un'! )

Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think this thread has run its course. Nearly 60 pages about what states are considered the South, and still no definitive answer.
And it could run six HUNDRED more and there STILL wouldn't be! LOL

I think the Wikipedia map of the "Modern South" is about as close as it will get when averaging out the huge total of personal opinions, survey's and official sources on the topic

Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-26-2007 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,472,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yeah, because it's known for being very similar to the Caribbean, but before all of that, it was very kuntry, and still is in the black culture. So yes Florida. Besides, just because New York says something is or isn't southern that makes it official? Yeah right.
You can't get any more south than Florida! lmao! The south is the south and Florida is as far south as you can get in the US.. PERIOD! Some people may not consider Florida "southern", but that doesn't mean it's not in the south! lol! I was born and raised in Florida, I have lived here my whole life, and I have lived all over the state of Florida. Different parts of Florida are very different from other parts of Florida, and I would say that the majority of Florida isn't very "southern", for the most part, but there are plenty of very "southern" places in Florida. But as far as which cities are considered "the south", Florida should be in there without a doubt. Again, whether people would consider Florida "southern" or not, you cannot get more south than Florida.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
You can't get any more south than Florida! lmao! The south is the south and Florida is as far south as you can get in the US.. PERIOD! Some people may not consider Florida "southern", but that doesn't mean it's not in the south! lol! I was born and raised in Florida, I have lived here my whole life, and I have lived all over the state of Florida. Different parts of Florida are very different from other parts of Florida, and I would say that the majority of Florida isn't very "southern", for the most part, but there are plenty of very "southern" places in Florida. But as far as which cities are considered "the south", Florida should be in there without a doubt. Again, whether people would consider Florida "southern" or not, you cannot get more south than Florida.
EXACTLY.

The problem is, people are comfortable with their outdated stereotypes and views of the South, and Florida doesn't fit into that picture to them. But they don't know what they're talking about.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 AM

12 posts, read 454,222 times
Angry Excuse me!

I'm from the Tidewater region of Virginia and live 10 mins away from North Carolina I'l be damned if people are gonna call me unsouthern. I can't account for those people in Northern VA. They shouldn't even be Virginians they should leave Virginia just as quick as West VA did. They want to anyhow.

As for the other debates on border states I somewhat agree. West Virgina doesn't really count, MD is southernlike except for everywhere that DC and B-more touch, Delaware is like MD but with philly, and every person I have ever met from Missouri all say that they are midwestern. I at least get a good number of people from MD and Delaware saying they are southern.

As for excluding Tenessee and Kentucky I'm not too sure. I was always taught that TN is a Southern state though.

Florida... I think the jury's still out. But my sister always jokes and says that Florida is a grave yard, retirement home, and witness protection place for NYers NJers. I think its slowy turning into a mix of South NY and the eastcoast's CA.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM

48,139 posts, read 45,484,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina. End of story.
I used to live in Texas and it isn't the South to me. It is big enough to be it's own region, but I consider it a Southwestern state mainly because of its Old West culture. Maybe if you go east of Dallas you'll find some vestiges of Southern culture, but Texas isn't the South.
Oklahoma isn't the South for the same reason Texsa isn't the South. Western culture. Actually, Oklahoma is more Western and Great Plains than south, unless you go east to Tulsa and Muskogee and even in Tulsa you can still find some of the Old West.
Florida is only southern by culture until you hit Orlando.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,454,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmexandproud View Post
Which states do you consider The South?
All of my favorite ones

Seriously, let'see...

Purely, Definitely Southern
Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana

Partially, Definitely Southern
Virginia (outside metro DC), Missouri (southeastern/Ozarks), Ohio (southeastern/southwestern), Indiana (south/Evansville), Illinois (extreme south tip/"Little Egypt"), Florida (panhandle),

Arguably Southern/Borderline
Kentucky, W. Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas

Formerly Southern (but now totally Yankee )
Maryland, Delaware, rest of Florida (non-panhandle), Northern Virginia

Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo8032d View Post
I at least get a good number of people from MD and Delaware saying they are southern.
Really? How come I've lived here my whole life and have only gotten a few that say they are southern and a HUGE number saying they are mid-atlantic and than a bigger number than those who consider themselfs southern say northern?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Really? How come I've lived here my whole life and have only gotten a few that say they are southern and a HUGE number saying they are mid-atlantic and than a bigger number than those who consider themselfs southern say northern?
If one can go by this 14-year study (probably the most detailed ever done), then the results are:

Percent who say their community is in the South (percentage base in parentheses)

Alabama 98 (717) South Carolina 98 (553) Louisiana 97 (606) Mississippi 97 (431) Georgia 97 (1017) Tennessee 97 (838) North Carolina 93 (1292) Arkansas 92 (400) Florida 90 (1792) Texas 84 (2050) Virginia 82 (1014) Kentucky 79 (582) Oklahoma 69 (411)

West Virginia 45 (82) Maryland 40 (173) Missouri 23 (177) Delaware 14 (21) D.C. 7 (15)

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791)

West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197)

I do really think that, at the least, the South can be very well defined by where people truly consider themselves to live there, and think of themselves as Southern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or