U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM

388 posts, read 1,643,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-Arkansas (south of I-30/I-40 east of Little Rock)
ROFLMAO

I suspect that would be a hard sell around around these parts (yes, it's north of I40).

Too many folks buried in the local cemeteries who died wearing butternut or gray, including some of my relatives, for that to be seen as a valid point of view.

Seems to me, along with geographic location, state of mind and how the locals view themselves is also a qualifier for determining a "southern" state, along with the cultural/historical/traditional considerations.

That being said, y'all just keep on arguing the finer points of what y'all consider the "south"...I'm pretty sure the folks around here know where and how we live, so it doesn't much matter what you decide.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,689,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmexandproud
-Florida: south of I-10, it's now New York South
I'm going to partially agree that not all of Florida is "Southern," but I'm going to push your "boundary" line down to about "anything North of Orlando" (Just above I-4, is "Southern" in culture....complete with change in landscape and predominant dialect), and that from then on South is a colony populated by NY, NJ, CT, Britain, and Latin America, and is basically the Northeast with palm trees!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,765,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheels View Post
The whole state of Maryland is southern, less so in the Beltway from DC-Philly but still it is almost always considered to be the beggining of the south.

For me the North eastern states are New York and New England (Maybe North Jersey too) Pennsylvania is not the northeast (At least most of it)because too much of the state straddles the heartland, the midwest and south, I would call PA a border state at best or Mid Atlantic, like South Jersey. Also most maps curve the coasts to try to simulate the earth's curvature, making the coasts look much higher up than they really are. The northern tip of ME is actually more than 300 miles south of the northern tip of MN.
Okay, see I can understand why some people would consider Virginia the south, but now this is just getting out of hand. You people are placing half the United States of America in the South, lol! Maryland is NOT the south. Baltimore is a northeastern city. Nobody in Baltimore considers themselves southern. They say "Booltimoore."

Why don't we just put it like this, if the entire state is not of "southern" quality, just don't count it because it seems like this thread is going nowhere. I get the feeling that it was started only so that user could tell everyone who didn't agree with him that they were wrong.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,087,274 times
Missouri could be seen as southern yes, i would agree but not Kansas

Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 658,871 times
I guess some people call the Gulf Coast part of the East Coast because the Gulf connects to the Atlantic Ocean, and to those of you that do not consider Flordia south probably has never been there other than Disney World or the awfuly urban Miami.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
How 'bout we use the Mason-Dixon line to decide. But now that our nation stretchs coast-to coast, let's extend that line from the Atlantic to the Pacific. That places San Fran, LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Carbondale, IL, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Washington, and Wilmington, DE right down south in Dixie!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,934,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How 'bout we use the Mason-Dixon line to decide. But now that our nation stretchs coast-to coast, let's extend that line from the Atlantic to the Pacific. That places San Fran, LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Carbondale, IL, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Washington, and Wilmington, DE right down south in Dixie!
Nope, don't think so, buddy!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,899,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $how Me $tate Bred View Post
I think it would be safe to suggest Missouri and trust me I know some of you will disagree since it is in the Midwest. My family originated in the "Little Dixie" Region of the state and that is where the majority of the slaves resided.
If this were during the antebellum period, I would say that Missouri would be a border state. Today Missouri is definitely Midwestern. Today if I had to pick between Northern or Southern I'd say Missouri is more Northern. Little Dixie today is hardly Dixie by any means...it's much more like Downstate Illinois, Kansas, and Iowa, and well, central and Northern Missouri. Southern Missouri's landscape is one unique to itself. The accent is generally Midwestern, the landscape is generallyMidwestern, and for the most part by today's standards Missouri in general is a Midwestern state in just about every way, not much more Southern than Indiana or Ohio. And St. Louis and Kansas City are unquestionably Midwestern. the Mason-Dixon line these days is the Ohio River and if that is how define the South 9/10 of Missouri is in the Midwest. Southeast Missouri basically around Sikeston is where the South is at. Missouri is politically, culturally, climatologically, and for the most part dialect speaking a Midwestern state. sure the bible belt is in the southern part of the state, but that is not a way to define the south.

Last edited by ajf131; 04-25-2007 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 PM

The states I can conclusively identify as Southern are Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Virginia starts to lose its Southerness once you get north of Richmond. Northern Virginia around D.C., which is a very small portion of Virginia is definitely not Southern...dialect-wise, politically, climatologically. Kentucky is at the maximum a Southern state, at minimum a border state. The Cincy suburbs are exclusively Midwestern, while I have found that Louisville, Frankfort, and Lexington tend to exhibit characteristics of both the Midwest and the South, and neither one particularly dominates the other. The speech patterns, culture, cuisine, and religion seem to be Midwestern and southern hybrid-mixes, plus these cities are border cities historically. Pretty much once you are 30 miles south or so of the metro areas of these cities, the accents, culture, and politics become predominantly Southern. Now..if I had to define Kentucky as either northern or southern, I'd pretty much have to say Southern because except for Cincy's suburbs, Midwestern culture is never the dominant culture in Kentucky while southern culture is partially or fully dominant in the state depending on where you are assuming ur not in Cincy's suburbs. Same with Virginia...except for the D.C. suburbs, Virginia is generally exclusively a Southern state. For the most part Missouri is a predominantly Midwestern state. The only place where you see a true exclusive Southern culture/lifestyle/dialect is in Southeast Missouri and the extreme Southern portions of the state, where are you practically near either just Arkansas, or Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Most of Southern Missouri tends to be a cross between Midwest and South but in general Missouri is never exclusively Southern. The speech patterns for the most part are Midwestern and the landscape while partially comprised of the Ozark Mountains, which are not exclusively Southern themselves, is mostly Midwestern. Oklahoma and Texas are Southwestern. As somebody who has traversed 43 of the lower 48 states in great detail I think this definition of the South by contemporary standards is pretty accurate.

Last edited by ajf131; 04-25-2007 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The Mason-Dixon line does not extend due west from the Maryland-Pennsylvania border!!! It starts there and then becomes the Ohio River basically and then where the Ohio meets the Mississippi the line extends due west across the 36 degree latitude line established by the Missouri Compromise. That is the modern (modern being early 1800's LOL) definition of the Mason-Dixon line. Using the Mason Dixon line this way, all of the cities you just mentioned except for San Diego and Phoenix are far north of Dixie. Baltimore and Wilmington and Washington are obviously not purely Southern because they are ON the Mason-Dixon practically and I've been there and I'll be damned if Dixie is in Maryland or Delaware or D.C. And frankly the modern definition of the Mason-Dixon line is a much better way to define Dixie then the way you just mentioned. However it's not the best way because you don't simply leave the pure North and enter the pure South upon the crossing of a simple line, speaking in terms other than geographical ones. But it pretty much accurately measures where the two cultures meet each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or