U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 03:13 PM

23 posts, read 83,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
So are you ashamed of The South and its culture then?

I'm not ashamed of the South and its culture because I never considered myself southern to begin with.

I just feel that I have much more in common with the people from the northeast than I do with the South. Nobody here considers themselves Southern. It's not negative or positive, that's just the way it is.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM

646 posts, read 604,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGETOWN1 View Post
Having lived most of my life in Virginia I feel qualified to state the following.
Northern Virginia is in NO WAY southern. There is much more of a mid-atlantic or even northeast feel to it. I have cousins in New Jersey, and there really is very little difference in the feel of the two places.

Richmond has some southern characteristics, but is changing rapidly. Many of the newer residents in Chesterfield and Henrico are from the North as well. You won't find too many accents here.
Tidewater is more mid-atlantic as well. Many transplants from the North as well as a sizeable military presence. Definitely not too southern. Southside Virginia and Southwestern Virginia most definitely are southern. Many of the residents have strong accents and identify much more with say Tennessee or Kentucky.
All you have to do is compare the voting trends in Virginia and say Alabama or Georgia to see what I am talking about. Heck, people here are much more likely to call a carbonated drink soda than the people to the south of here who invariably call it Coke. ( Look up the Pop vs. Soda website) Virginians voted much more like their northern neighbors than their southern ones.

I never ever ever considered myself southern in the first place, and frankly I'm pretty happy that Virginia is losing a lot of it's southern culture.

Tidewater is more mid-atlantic as well>> Just thought I'd add that Hampton Rds is the term now and you'll find it listed that way on the Virginia city sites.

Most of the people there refer to it as a more defined area now, for Maryland also has a Tidewater region. HR is the metro area, T'water is the extended region. But yes the HR area is very MidAtlantic and even somewhat NE character and SE traits still. Large port culture has added much intrinsic international and national outlook and flavor.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Tomorrow's Another Day...........that 'day' is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGETOWN1 View Post
I forgot one more important thing from earlier. In 2005, Virginians voted for Governor. The choice was between a man from southwestern Virginia and man born in Minnesota and raised in Kansas/ Missouri. The man from the midwest with no discernible accent trounced the man from sw Virginia who has a very strong twang. In fact, in the eastern part of the state, roughly from Loudoun and Fauquier counties south through Richmond and down to the NC border, he won by 12 points 55-43. Many of the political pundits in the state were hesitant to say it but thought a good number of these voters simply were unwilling to vote for a candidate who did not sound like they sounded. I'm not sure about that, but deep down I tend to agree. The one candidate sounded like he was from Tennessee or Alabama and the other one sounded like one of us--- suburban and mid-atlantic.

I think that says a lot right there.

Great pts I agree with that. Voting trends however don't tell the whole story and tend to make something more rigid in appearance when actually it was Allen and the former gov that led the state into major technology economic export.
Allen though vs Webb, a military dem (married to a pretty Chinese lady so typical of VA culture), did his own self in with his "macaca" moment and lost to Webb, the gun toting dem.

Then his Jewish mother appeared out of the shadows to rescue her son from a Pakistani/Indian backlash. How typical Virginian can you get!!!??.

Voters had voted for a Jew before, why wouldn't they for a Midwesterner, they had voted for Wilder a Black gov before and before that he was Lt gov for several terms. Nothing really all that new here since you put it the way you did about someone different. EEK! Now that's VA politics!! They vote for the person there.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-29-2007 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
if you think that Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and Pennsylvania are immune to southern culture, think again. A LOT of people will tell you otherwise.
I have posted several times on this thread, including quite recently, that Pennsylvania has a lot of southern culture. I lived in Illinois, and that same duaghter went to college in Indiana. I grew up about 15 miles from Ohio. I know what those places are like.I have never disputed any of the above.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 28,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Well I'm glad THE AUTHORITY on all things Southern has spoken! If you knew the answer, why start a thread? Just to have an opportunity to tell people how "wrong" their impressions are?

No two states are entirely alike, so to kick out some of the "border states" because they don't meet all of the criteria you imagine a Southern State must have seems silly to me. The South isn't one homogenous region (no region is). The South is a collective region due to some shared cultural attributes, a history of banding together, and an accident of geography, but VA is not exactly like AL, AL is not exactly like FL, FL is not exactly like MS, which isn't exactly like TN, etc.

Virginia, for example, is CLEARLY part of the South, historically, geographically, and culturally. They seceded from the Union with the rest of yous, had racially segregated facilities like the rest of yous, love thumping bibles, and even say "y'all" a lot. If VA doesn't belong in the South, where does it belong? Is it its own glorious region like Texas is??? What makes VA NOT Southern? Suburban sprawling mess in the northern portion of the state? Umm, name a major metropolis in the South that ISN'T a sprawling mess.

Clapping my hands to you my friend.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
I agree. And how anybody can argue for Richmond being Northeastern is beyond me. At least 2/3 of Virginia is still unquestionably Southern.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-01-2007 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree. And how anybody can argue for Richmond being Northeastern is beyond me. At least 2/3 of Virginia is still unquestionably Southern.
I know, it boggles the mind that people still try to lump Virginia into the Northeast. It's actually kind of sad.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Mid Atlantic then fine and as I've said before Southeast a while back but very often included in the Northeast. I realize Northeast can be an insult to some there. Though many in other parts of the country consider the title to be somehow be a compliment. You don't like Yankees apparently.

You have to admit there are plenty of long time Yanks living there especially from PA and NY.

I was there recently in VA at a meeting a woman I met that conducted it was from PA she said "this is not the South". LOL I think many think their own things, but it's an insult to some to be referenced with the NE. A lot of entities look at it that way.
If you live there you do a tremendous amout of advertising for NE markets very little to the south if any.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-01-2007 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
To the first sentence, where was that done? To the second there are plenty on here who argue with that. Its presented in our local regional weather on nightly news in NY.

It's really all opinion. Have you ever lived in the East at all? I don't think Virginian's consider it an insult to be called Eastern.

It's on many other maps this way, usually trade oriented ones. I suppose it depends on particular interest in how to classify it.

WALL MAP OF NORTHEAST REGION UNITED STATES

Regional Map : Weather Underground

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-30-2007 at 12:54 AM..

Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I know, it boggles the mind that people still try to lump Virginia into the Northeast. It's actually kind of sad.

Sorry lots of sources do, especially further in the NE.

Regional Map : Weather Underground

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-30-2007 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or