U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Uniquely Individual Villages of the Megalopolis
646 posts, read 604,118 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I know, it boggles the mind that people still try to lump Virginia into the Northeast. It's actually kind of sad.


Here we see Va included in the group by National Geographic as Mid Atlantic only with MD, DC. See in blue background under Mid Atlantic.



 
Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
Reputation: 2078
Mid-Atlantic I don't mind, it's that whole "Virginia isn't Southern" argument that I can't stand.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Uniquely Individual Villages of the Megalopolis
646 posts, read 604,118 times
Reputation: 36




WALL MAP OF NORTHEAST ATLANTIC


Even showin only 1/3 of the state Virginia reveals a NE orientation, the way roads are built etc. that influences the state.

http://www.mapresources.com/Lrs/CTRY/USA/USA-NE-192778_L.JPG (broken link)

Different perspective it's east side and top heavy orientation tips it NE.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 AM
 
Location: Uniquely Individual Villages of the Megalopolis
646 posts, read 604,118 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Mid-Atlantic I don't mind, it's that whole "Virginia isn't Southern" argument that I can't stand.

Someone in Indiana doesn't mind? Then again where I've been in Indiana it's like the South there or was, it's been a while and I'm talking thru I 80. I think it was.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 06:35 AM
 
47 posts, read 186,764 times
Reputation: 30
can't believe this is even debated. I live in eas central Virginia, no not Hampton Roads, NoVa, Richmond or southside near nc. Nobody here would ever think that Virginia is not southern. If you told somebody here that, they would laugh in your face. You don't think they have fox hunts here...they do, and it's pretty common. And we hunt deer with hounds, which is a very southern tradition which is dying out more in SC and Ga than it is here. We actually have LOTS of old plantation houses, and I don't mean just old farm houses, but mansions. Have you ever heard of the James River plantations??? We have cotton fields here, do y'all have those up north? We also have cypress swamps, do y'all have those up north? And yes, most of Virginia has a humid subtropical climate except for the higher elevations. I mean it was almost 80 degrees on thanksgiving. And last year in January it was nearly 80 degrees (not every day but still). It does not snow much here either. I actually haven't seen snow in three years. High schools here are named after confederate heroes...Turner Ashby, Lee-Davis, Washington and Lee, etc...Most people here do have southern accents. I have been to states farther south and people have told me that I had a strong southern accent. The schools in virginia are accredited by the southern association of schools and colleges. VMI is in the big south conference. ODU and VCU were in the sunbelt conference (which doesn't exist any more). Ride up rt. 17 between newport news and fredericksburg and baptist churches outnumber gas stations. I never even met a jewish person until I went to college. My school was not diverse, about 50/50 black and white. We don't say pop, we call it soft drinks, we say y'all, reckon, fixin to, rivah, and so on...

Elsing Green Plantation, King William County
http://www.elsinggreen.com/images/frontview2.jpg (broken link)
http://www.elsinggreen.com/images/driveway.jpg (broken link)















shirley plantation

Dragon run



http://www.afrofoodways.com/Images/cotton_field.gif (broken link)

and of course most people don't live in estates like this. But they don't in SC or LA either. It just shows that there are still plantations here. The part about places in Virginia being cold and that makes it not southern doesn't make much sense either. All higher elevations of the south are going to be colder than the coastal areas...western nc, upstate sc, northern ga and alabama, eastern tenn, and eastern kentucky
 
Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Uniquely Individual Villages of the Megalopolis
646 posts, read 604,118 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater50 View Post
can't believe this is even debated. I live in eas central Virginia, no not Hampton Roads, NoVa, Richmond or southside near nc. Nobody here would ever think that Virginia is not southern. If you told somebody here that, they would laugh in your face. You don't think they have fox hunts here...they do, and it's pretty common. And we hunt deer with hounds, which is a very southern tradition which is dying out more in SC and Ga than it is here. We actually have LOTS of old plantation houses, and I don't mean just old farm houses, but mansions. Have you ever heard of the James River plantations??? We have cotton fields here, do y'all have those up north? We also have cypress swamps, do y'all have those up north? And yes, most of Virginia has a humid subtropical climate except for the higher elevations. I mean it was almost 80 degrees on thanksgiving. And last year in January it was nearly 80 degrees (not every day but still). It does not snow much here either. I actually haven't seen snow in three years. High schools here are named after confederate heroes...Turner Ashby, Lee-Davis, Washington and Lee, etc...Most people here do have southern accents. I have been to states farther south and people have told me that I had a strong southern accent. The schools in virginia are accredited by the southern association of schools and colleges. VMI is in the big south conference. ODU and VCU were in the sunbelt conference (which doesn't exist any more). Ride up rt. 17 between newport news and fredericksburg and baptist churches outnumber gas stations. I never even met a jewish person until I went to college. My school was not diverse, about 50/50 black and white. We don't say pop, we call it soft drinks, we say y'all, reckon, fixin to, rivah, and so on...

Elsing Green Plantation, King William County













shirley plantation

Dragon run


and of course most people don't live in estates like this. But they don't in SC or LA either. It just shows that there are still plantations here. The part about places in Virginia being cold and that makes it not southern doesn't make much sense either. All higher elevations of the south are going to be colder than the coastal areas...western nc, upstate sc, northern ga and alabama, eastern tenn, and eastern kentucky
I live in eas central Virginia, no not Hampton Roads, NoVa, Richmond or southside near nc. Nobody here would ever think that Virginia is not southern.>>

That's what I thought and then that would be true of the country. You could just as well be Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, from Mark Twain in the Midwest on the Missisippi. I'm sure a lot of that is true for your area. Cities in Virginia and many other entities are independent.

Sounds like your school was integrated. I guess most of Va isn't.


Oh, I know there are significant southern pockets, it can vary from county to county but there are cities, but what do you think of those who classify it other than South? There are many who do for different reasons.

Are they misleading people with different classif now?

The state gears its tourism advertising to the New York and NE market. They tv ads all the time there to get Northeasterners to come apparently bc they want them to come.

I have never seen a tv ad in Georgia or elsewhere in the South geared from VA Tourism to encourage tourism from the Southern areas to come to VA.

Unless that's changed recently then apparently many Virginians appreciate the NE into it while others may dislike it. But the state gears itself that way.
Plus there is a whole lot of too typical stereotyping going on here, there may be quite a few backwoods areas but there are many very urban areas.

Those who come to NYC and not see the rest of NY State but rarely might also be shocked at the differences there too.

Urban/Rural (not suburban) differences can be quite striking. Appalachian culture can run all the way from Alabama to Pa and Upstate NY. Same moutain chain, for instance.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
 
47 posts, read 186,764 times
Reputation: 30
That's what I'm saying. If you go to a city in a certain region, it's not going to reflect on that area. Cities have too many people from other parts of the country and world for that matter to seem like they're part of a certain region. The only people in Virginia who don't consider themselves southerners are people who moved here from up north. Everyone here that I know hates this immigration of yankees. We definately don't welcome or encourage it. They move here not knowing what it's like then they try to change the way things have been done forever. And the eastern two thirds of the state are very integrated, atleast as far as black/white. The only part of the state that doesn't have a significant black population is up in the mountains.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 02:02 PM
 
23 posts, read 83,420 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater50 View Post
That's what I'm saying. If you go to a city in a certain region, it's not going to reflect on that area. Cities have too many people from other parts of the country and world for that matter to seem like they're part of a certain region. The only people in Virginia who don't consider themselves southerners are people who moved here from up north. Everyone here that I know hates this immigration of yankees. We definately don't welcome or encourage it. They move here not knowing what it's like then they try to change the way things have been done forever. And the eastern two thirds of the state are very integrated, atleast as far as black/white. The only part of the state that doesn't have a significant black population is up in the mountains.
I'm a native Virginian, and I have never considered myself a Southerner.
Hardly anyone I know considers themselves Southern, so speak for yourself.
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:00 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Reputation: 5741
I think one thing that long-time, regular contributors to geographical threads like this have agreed on is that there is NEVER going to be any agreement on exactly which states constitute the South today (other than maybe a few in the Deep South). There are just too many criteria, ranging from personal experience and perspectives to standards of history (i.e. the Old Confederacy) Personally, as I have said for at least a hundred times, my own -- and only my own -- is mostly based on history: The Old Confederacy (which certainly includes Virginia) plus Kentucky.

True, I agree, that things change as time marches on, and some see things differently and thru different lenses. But IMHO there is a lot to be said for the "Southern Focus Poll" survey which attempted to find the South by where a majority of people considered themselves to LIVE in the South. Further, by the percentage who personally CONSIDERED themselves Southerners.

I have posted this one before (as have others), but now is as good a time as any to do so again for those who may not have seen it. Prefacing, the results represent the "average" of 14 years of surveys asking respondents two questions: "Is Your Community in the South?" and "Do You Consider Yourself a Southerner?" Here they are:

Percent who say their community is in the South (percentage base in parentheses)

Alabama 98 (717) South Carolina 98 (553) Louisiana 97 (606) Mississippi 97 (431) Georgia 97 (1017) Tennessee 97 (838) North Carolina 93 (1292) Arkansas 92 (400) Florida 90 (1792) Texas 84 (2050) Virginia 82 (1014) Kentucky 79 (582) Oklahoma 69 (411)

West Virginia 45 (82) Maryland 40 (173) Missouri 23 (177) Delaware 14 (21) D.C. 7 (15)

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791) West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197) Delaware 12 (25) D.C. 12 (16)
 
Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM
 
23 posts, read 83,420 times
Reputation: 11
The transplants in NOVA are what keeps this state running......LOL

I'm just stating the facts. And I was born and raised in Virginia, thank you.

Northern Virginia just isn't part of the South. Culturally or any other way. It really does add to the state's character. Without Northern Virginia, the commonwealth would be a lot more boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top