U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM

414 posts, read 2,417,113 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Samford Law School next year in Alabama. Deep South woot woot! No one would mistake Alabama for not being in Dixie. Its the heart of Dixie

Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,351,410 times
All of:

Alabama
Arkansas
Georgia
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee

Louisiana, possibly excepting NO.

Parts of:

Kansas - far SE
Delaware
Florida - N
Indiana - far S
Kentucky - most of the state
Maryland
Missouri - S
Oklahoma - E, especially SE
Texas - The heavily-populated E part.
Virginia - most of the state

West Virginia is arguable.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 PM

4,954 posts, read 7,887,434 times
Northern Virginia is part of the whole D.C. area "Yuppieville". I grew up in the Washington area - there's nothing southern about it.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:45 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,729,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Missouri had a pro-Southern governor determined to take Missouri out of the Union no matter if the citizens overwhelmingly opposed secession or not. When he was elected he made it look like he was neutral in stance It's citizens were not pro-Southern. Over 100,000 men fought for the Union, 50,000 for the Confederacy. Antebellum Missouri and post-Civil War Missouri are very different from one another. Missouri voted for Douglas, a moderate pro-Unionist from Springfield, Illinois during Lincoln's election....NO SOUTHERN STATE VOTED FOR DOUGLAS. Give it a rest. Also, as far as I'm concerned...if an area does not meet the classification of Southern and is geographically far enough North (regardless of the Mason-Dixon)...it's not Southern. The Mason-Dixon line does not tell the entire cultural truth about areas lying immediately south of it.
My only point was to correct a previous post when someone said Missouri was a part of the Confederacy. They did have one star to represent their state on the Confederate flag but they remained in the Union.

I agree it has nothing to do with modern Missouri. I've never even been there.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:41 AM

331 posts, read 1,483,899 times
Here is my final word on the subject:

Red = "The South" (excepting that I will give a special dispensation to Wisconsin and Iowa, which clearly had a moment of temporary insanity . . . )

Old 04-26-2007, 05:53 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,911,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmexandproud View Post
Here's my proposal--these count as the South:
-Tennessee (more than 20 minutes south of Kentucky)
-North Carolina (in towns and rural areas with fewer than 75,000 people)
-Florida (north of I-10 then the Gulf Coast west of Panama City)
-Arkansas (south of I-30/I-40 east of Little Rock)
-South Carolina
-Georgia
-Alabama
-Mississippi
-Louisiana

Do not count:
-Texas: it's so great, it's its own region and country. It's like eight states in one with ten different cultures and types of topography.
-Virginia: It is now a mid-Atlantic state.
-West Virginia: hillbilly and country doesn't mean southern. And, they say "pop." More industrial in history, like the northeast and upper midwest.
-Kentucky: They say "pop," don't know what grits and sweet tea are, and it doesn't have a great deal of that Southern hospitality. Ever been to Louisville, Lexington, and Owensboro?
-Arkansas: western Arkansas is more like Oklahoma and east Texas.
-Florida: south of I-10, it's now New York South

Virginia is still a predominantly Southern state I think overall. Once you are outside of D.C.'s suburbs Virginia becomes southern in demeanor. Culturally, politically, they are still very conservative. While I do agree that Kentucky may not have enough Southern characteristics to be considered entirely southern everywhere you go, nobody in KEntucky is clueless about grits or sweet tea....that is present in pretty much all of Kentucky. However the food is mixed in with Midwestern cuisine and politically I think that the Golden Triangle region is more moderate than conservative and kind of both Midwestern and Southern at the same time. But south of these areas in the rural parts Kentucky is distinctly Southern...and land area wise this is the majority of the state. dialect-wise, everything in Kentucky meets the qualifications of an entirely southern state I think south of louisville frankfort and lexington. What is certain though is that there is no place in Kentucky aside from the Cincy suburbs which is entirely Midwestern or more Midwestern than Southern. Arkansas is definitely the South...Eastern Oklahoma and Eastern Texas are more southern than southwestern. This is excluding the parts of Oklahoma that touch Missouri or Kansas. Tulsa I kind of see as southwestern. Houston and Dallas I think are southwestern and southern at the same time. Tennessee is unquestionably Southern....I will be damned if any part of Tennessee is Northern or Midwestern. Climatologically, dialect-wise, culturally, politically, religion, Tennessee meets every qualification of the South. I agree that Florida is a not a pure culturally Southern state due to a great deal of Northern migration, but honestly before this migration took place it was. I think it is its own entity but I would not much of a problem calling any state that is tropical and part of the lower 48 the South. If Florida is not the South, than there is no such thing as the South in the U.S.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,772,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Virginia is still a predominantly Southern state I think overall. Once you are outside of D.C.'s suburbs Virginia becomes southern in demeanor. Culturally, politically, they are still very conservative. While I do agree that Kentucky may not have enough Southern characteristics to be considered entirely southern everywhere you go, nobody in KEntucky is clueless about grits or sweet tea....that is present in pretty much all of Kentucky. However the food is mixed in with Midwestern cuisine and politically I think that the Golden Triangle region is more moderate than conservative and kind of both Midwestern and Southern at the same time. But south of these areas in the rural parts Kentucky is distinctly Southern...and land area wise this is the majority of the state. dialect-wise, everything in Kentucky meets the qualifications of an entirely southern state I think south of louisville frankfort and lexington. What is certain though is that there is no place in Kentucky aside from the Cincy suburbs which is entirely Midwestern or more Midwestern than Southern. Arkansas is definitely the South...Eastern Oklahoma and Eastern Texas are more southern than southwestern. This is excluding the parts of Oklahoma that touch Missouri or Kansas. Tulsa I kind of see as southwestern. Houston and Dallas I think are southwestern and southern at the same time. Tennessee is unquestionably Southern....I will be damned if any part of Tennessee is Northern or Midwestern. Climatologically, dialect-wise, culturally, politically, religion, Tennessee meets every qualification of the South. I agree that Florida is a not a pure culturally Southern state due to a great deal of Northern migration, but honestly before this migration took place it was. I think it is its own entity but I would not much of a problem calling any state that is tropical and part of the lower 48 the South. If Florida is not the South, than there is no such thing as the South in the U.S.
See things like this could be avoided if we just went by what makes the most sense: if a state cannot be described as southern in every single sense of the word, don't include it.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,306,202 times
your placing an awful lot of importance on political boundaries. Real world just doesn't work like that. A border between kentucky and illinois (or anywhere) doesn't cut off a culture (sometimes it does but its the exception not the rule). Your talking about arbitrary lines on the globe. People and cultures are not that easily put into a box.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,832,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post

Sure have been there, and they darn well DO know what grits and sweet tea are!

In this ex-New-Yorker's view, "The South" is everything east of the Rockies and below Atlantic City, NJ!
if its south of the mason dixon and east of the mississippi I think it counts
except florida I'm not sure what florida is

Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 PM

331 posts, read 1,483,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
if its south of the mason dixon and east of the mississippi I think it counts
except florida I'm not sure what florida is
Florida is Long Island with palm trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or