Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Funny!

IMHO, any place that the majority of residents consider "Southern" is Southern. When I was in north central West Virginia, one local, a fellow customer in a gas station corrected me when I asked for pork rinds. He said "Pork Skins; you're in the South now!" What would be the point in argueing with that man? Besides if all the locals believe it is Southern, to me it adds a quirky charm.

I agree with the previous posters, the South is a very large region, and there are different 'brands' of "Southern" in different states, even in different regions within a state.
Well that could easily be argued. In Texas, we say pork rinds, so...

Old 04-21-2007, 07:43 PM

...and Virginia seems to be the most popularly debated state. All I can say is that where I'm from, no one I know thinks Virginia is in the south. It's just too far up! And there's snow capped mountains. Something most people down here have never seen. But just so everyone knows, "country" does not necessarily mean "southern." For example, the first believed cowboy ranch in this country was in New York state.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,207,961 times
mpope, have you ever been to Virginia?

Snow capped mountains? During late December, January, February, and March it is possible to have snow in VA, and it will cover the mountains. You'll find the same in the mountains of NC, TN, and even GA. It snows in Texas too, doesn't it?

Too far up? Maybe it's far from your corner of the world, but if you ask almost anyone from Virginia, they consider VA to be part of the South. It's definitely not DEEP South, but it's also definitely not Northeast.

I hate debates about sectionalism, but as a VA native I LOL at the thought of anyone considering VA anything other than a Southern state.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
mpope, have you ever been to Virginia?

Snow capped mountains? During late December, January, February, and March it is possible to have snow in VA, and it will cover the mountains. You'll find the same in the mountains of NC, TN, and even GA. It snows in Texas too, doesn't it?

Too far up? Maybe it's far from your corner of the world, but if you ask almost anyone from Virginia, they consider VA to be part of the South. It's definitely not DEEP South, but it's also definitely not Northeast.

I hate debates about sectionalism, but as a VA native I LOL at the thought of anyone considering VA anything other than a Southern state.
Well don't tell it to me, lol you need to take that up with the rest of Texas. I'm saying what a majority of people here believe. You want to be southern, fine. I could care less. All I'm saying is that down here in the "South of the South", it is not common for people to believe that Virginia is the South. Historically? Yes. But some might even find it an insult that people would think that Virginia even qualifies. But that's not my opinion.

What I can say on my behalf is that I have been to Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg, and Tappahannock. Now, I'm sorry but nothing about either of those places said "south" to me. I should know because I've never lived anywhere but Georgia and Texas. That's just me. I don't know, maybe it's just the black culture of the state that isn't southern. I, for one, felt out of place.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:12 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Default Virginia is southern

And mpope, some people in NC down to Florida consider Texas the southwest and not the true south. It's where ever you are from. I grew up in Texas just north of Austin in the Killeen-FT Hood area and now live in Virginia (Alexandria). I use to think just like you saying that Virginia is not southern. Now that I live here, the state is very very southern especially when you get south of Northern Virginia. If you visit southern VA, you cannot tell me the state is anything but southern & western Virginia as well as Richmond to the Hampton Roads.

And the black culture? I'm black and Virginia has ALWAYS had a strong black culture. Over 1 million and growing fast. Not to mention that parts of Virginia is in the DC-Bmore area. An area that has the 2nd largest black population in the United States.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And mpope, some people in NC down to Florida consider Texas the southwest and not the true south.
That's because they probably have never been to Houston, or Beaumont, or Tyler, or San Antonio. Nothing about either of those is southwestern, but I can't control what people think. If they think Texas is southwestern, fine whatever. It won't be the first time. A lot of people don't consider Florida southern.

Quote:
If you visit southern VA, you cannot tell me the state is anything but southern & western Virginia as well as Richmond to the Hampton Roads.
I believe I did just tell everybody, though.

Quote:
And the black culture? I'm black and Virginia has ALWAYS had a strong black culture. Over 1 million and growing fast. Not to mention that parts of Virginia is in the DC-Bmore area. An area that has the 2nd largest black population in the United States.
Never said Virginia didn't have a black culture. It has a great black culture. I said that I felt the black culture of Virginia was not southern.

It seems to be a thing of southern states not thinking other states qualify. One thing is for sure though, the only states that can't be argued are Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, SC, and NC.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:28 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,332,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Well, my first indication that I am in the south would be the sighting of a waffle house -- that would be as soon as I cross the border into Kentucky, and there is one near St. Louis in Missouri. There are some fakes creeping their way north, but it's not the real thing Definitley the waffle houses, thats the dead givaway. And proof...kentuckians are aware of grits!!
And Krystal!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
That's because they probably have never been to Houston, or Beaumont, or Tyler, or San Antonio. Nothing about either of those is southwestern, but I can't control what people think. If they think Texas is southwestern, fine whatever. It won't be the first time. A lot of people don't consider Florida southern.
I can see your point on Houston, Beaumont, or Tyler (which are all at least within 100 miles of Louisiana). But San Antonio is not what people think of as southern. I being from Texas and living from other parts of the south do not consider San Antonio as a typical southern city whatsoever. It is either Texas or southwestern.

Quote:
I believe I did just tell everybody, though.
my bad

Quote:
Never said Virginia didn't have a black culture. It has a great black culture. I said that I felt the black culture of Virginia was not southern.
Expand on this because I'm confused. You mean the rides, and how blacks in the south carry themselves. Because I see but only in Richmond and in the rural parts. Not in northern Virginia area, though.

I guess everything is relative. I have to correct people on their misconceptions about Texas everytime. Many don't consider Texas a southern state and many do. I love the old quote that I see on various message boards. "Texas isn't southern or western. Texas is Texas."

Old 04-22-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can see your point on Houston, Beaumont, or Tyler (which are all at least within 100 miles of Louisiana). But San Antonio is not what people think of as southern. I being from Texas and living from other parts of the south do not consider San Antonio as a typical southern city whatsoever. It is either Texas or southwestern.
The Mexican culture usually tends to draw people away from the fact that San Antonio is indeed southern and not southwestern. It's the home of Church's chicken for crying out loud. My cousins who live there are the most kuntry people in our family, and our family's originally from Georgia. But people are going to believe what they want to believe. To me, it's too green, plus it sits on a Gulf Coast River, it has a humid subtropical climate, and it's in the eastern half of the state. Now El Paso is completely southwestern. SA is just Mexican. There's a difference. Not a big diff, but a significant one.

Quote:
Expand on this because I'm confused. You mean the rides, and how blacks in the south carry themselves. Because I see but only in Richmond and in the rural parts. Not in northern Virginia area, though.
The churches and the dialect were not southern at all. I don't know, Virginia just does not have the warmth and down-home feel that a southern state possesses.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $how Me $tate Bred View Post
Missouri was one of those states they were the last state to join the confederacy.
Missouri never officially joined the Confederacy...

They were thinking about it, but somehow the Union (or enough pro-union citizens) got control of its state government before could get around to seceding. However, one of the stars on the Confederate Battle Flag represents Missouri, since many Missourians fought for the Confederacy anyways. It was probably like Kenutcky, a mish-mash of pro-Confederate and pro-union citizens instead of a relatively homogenous area of public opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.