U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM

30,220 posts, read 67,365,623 times

Advertisements

I found this in today's Scranton Times-Tribune! I suppose when there's not much crime or REAL "news" to report about, issues like these become hot topics. Here's yet another boring, drab story from Scranton's suburbs. I suppose it's nice to know though that our local papers aren't flooding with crime-related issues (unless you can count this as a "fashion crime.")

ABINGTON TOWNSHIP — It took an appeals court ruling for Henry and Marsha Yeager to get their indoor tennis court.

Commonwealth Court Judge Rochelle S. Friedman on Wednesday reversed a decision by a Lackawanna County judge that prohibited the Yeagers from enclosing the tennis court at their home near Stevenson and Miller roads.

The Yeagers plan to begin construction immediately, said their attorney, Bill Jones.

The lighted tennis court sits on the Yeagers’ 55 acres near their 17,000-square-foot home.

In July 2004, Dr. and Mrs. Yeager applied for a building permit from Abington Township zoning officer William White.

According to Wednesday’s decision, Mr. White denied the permit because “it was a building that was ... a commercial-type, steel building that looks like a factory. And I just did not feel that I could ... issue a permit on that based upon what I was given here.”

The building proposal followed all township ordinances, Mr. Jones said.

The Yeagers appealed to county court, which upheld the township’s decision. They then appealed to Commonwealth Court.

“I think most people would think if you applied for a permit and you met the objective criteria of the ordinance, there’s an expectation that they would issue (the permit) of course, especially since he changed the design to make it aesthetically pleasing,” Mr. Jones said.

The township could either ask Commonwealth Court to reconsider Judge Friedman’s decision or appeal to the state Supreme Court, Mr. Jones said.

Calls to the township’s attorney, Andrew Hailstone, were not returned Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,565,045 times
I'll counter with this one...

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/12450496/d...s=dfw&psp=news
DALLAS -- The first witness in a lawsuit Wednesday between two neighbors was a real ass.

Buddy the donkey walked to the bench and stared at the jury, the picture of a gentle, well-mannered creature and not the loud, aggressive animal he had been accused of being.

The donkey was at the center of a dispute between oilman John Cantrell and attorney Gregory Shamoun that began after Cantrell complained about a storage shed Shamoun was building in his backyard in Dallas.

He said Shamoun retaliated by bringing Buddy from his ranch in Midlothian and putting him in the backyard.

Cantrell complained of donkey noise and manure piles.

"They bray a lot any time day or night. You never know when they're going to cut loose," he testified.

Shamoun said Buddy was there to serve as a surrogate mother for a calf named Lucy that needed to be bottle-fed.

Neither jurors nor Buddy had the last say.

The neighbors settled their dispute while jurors deliberated.

Shamoun agreed to buy some of Cantrell's land and Cantrell agreed to withdraw his complaint with the city.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:22 PM

32,386 posts, read 59,868,870 times
17,000 square foot house??

I used to work at a teeny newspaper in Girard, Pa. -- in the issue that was current the week I went in for my interview, the lead headline was "Parachutist Lands In Barnyard". I didn't last too long at that paper!

Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,659,836 times
I love to pick up a major newspaper and see a boring headline. It means (to me) that everything is okay. No news is good news.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM

143 posts, read 788,667 times
Sorry folks Ive got you all beat...This is from the Toledo Blade

A Toledo man has pleaded "not guilty" to inducing panic after a bizarre incident with a fire extinguisher.
Police say Matthew Bialorucki put a fire extinguisher into his oven Wednesday, and it started to swell.

According to police, Bialorucki then took the extinguisher to a ditch near railroad tracks by Jackman and covered it with a dead opossum.

Bialorucki called the fire department to complain about a natural gas odor. The bomb squad later moved in to render the extinguisher safe.

Bialorucki's bond was set at $500.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=local&id=3936529 (broken link)

Old 07-22-2007, 01:11 AM

60 posts, read 234,160 times
Default Police calls: Money, whiskey stolen from golf course

This could be a fun thread.

Watch for more in the future

Police calls: Money, whiskey stolen from golf course

Wooldridge Woods, 1313 S. Main St., Mansfield -- During a break-in, an employee told police Friday $9,261 and two bottles of whiskey, worth $28, were missing.

700 block of Arlington Avenue, Mansfield -- A radio from a vehicle, worth $130, was reported stolen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gibson Avenue, Mansfield -- Two tires were reported slashed Friday. Damage was estimated at $140.

400 block of West Fourth Street, Mansfield -- A screen door was damaged Friday, police said.
1000 block of Springmill Street, Mansfield -- A man walking down the street Friday told police another man punched him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or