U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,835 times

Advertisements

My home state is Michigan. I lived in Ohio for about one year. I have been in Illinois, for grad school, for about 11 months now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:14 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,396,369 times
This is funny! Everyone is posting saying where they're from, but my point was that you should put it in your public profile - whatever makes it show up in the top right corner when you post! That way when you say something about your area, we know where that is! Glad to see so many responses though! Me, I'm from New Yawk, moved to Colorado Springs, moved to Tucson, moved to Boca, moved to Miami Beach, & now I'm in Miami.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,082,877 times
I used to just have "Bay Area, CA" as my location, since I was living in a smaller town... now that I'm in San Francisco, it's probably safe to list it.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 AM

26 posts, read 90,969 times
Greensboro, NC baby!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 PM

373 posts, read 1,706,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
To those of you who don't put the city & state you're in, WHY NOT???!!! Is it paranoia? Cause that's really going overboard!
I mean, we all talk about our areas, but when someone says something like "Here they do it like this" or whatever - it's like, here WHERE??!!
It makes it a useless post because we don't know where "here" is!!! At least, if for whatever bizarro reason that I can't even imagine, you just can't put your city/state on the top right, at least put it in the post!!! "Here in Cinci" or wherever!
Sorry, but GOD that drives me NUTS!!!
Oh, I've been on here about four months, and only through the enlightening material in your post did I figure out there was a profile section. I just changed it (hopefully). Wow, I feel naive.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,928,319 times
I am from Minnesota, soon to be moving to Colorado, I have lived in Minnesota most of my life, even though I was born in Iowa.
My heart and mind is in Colorado, with it's peaceful mountains, and I will be looking for my new home at the end of May!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 PM

2,867 posts, read 9,945,145 times
Exclamation "Location" can be defined many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I think some folks are a little paranoid. People can find you if they want to. If you tend to make someone really ticked off they might "do something" and having your hometown just helps them out.

I was on a voice chat program years and years ago. I had no personal information post or listed, but some nut did not like something I said, found my phone number somehow, and called me. I was very angry, trying to protect my family right. Anyway, one has to be careful now a days.
Case and point, Marks. We're broadcasting our meaning on a variety of issues to a global audience.

Besides, the question in the profile is "location." Who is to say for any one of us what that means? To some it means "city/state"; to others it means something else, perhaps a description of one's daily surroundings. In the end, it's up to the registered user to define what "location" means for him or her self in terms of what the user is willing to disclose to the World-Wide-Web community.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-25-2007 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or