U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Die hard Scranton fan, metropolitan area, good intellectual vibe, reasonable cost of living, four season climate, liberal atmosphere, urban pioneer, row home fixer upper, pedestrian friendly

View Poll Results: Where Should the Overstressed, Depressed, Fashion-Obsessed, Dorky Guy Move?
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 7 12.73%
Chicago, IL 8 14.55%
Madison, WI 3 5.45%
Rochester, MN 0 0%
Ann Arbor, MI 5 9.09%
Traverse City, MI 2 3.64%
Columbus, OH 4 7.27%
Pittsburgh, PA 6 10.91%
Philadelphia, PA 3 5.45%
New York City, NY 11 20.00%
Boston, MA 5 9.09%
Annapolis, MD 1 1.82%
Baltimore, MD 2 3.64%
Charlottesville, VA 1 1.82%
Burlington, VT 3 5.45%
Northampton, MA 2 3.64%
Pittsfield, MA 1 1.82%
Boston, MA 8 14.55%
Hartford, CT 2 3.64%
Providence, RI 6 10.91%
Portland, ME 3 5.45%
Nashua, NH 1 1.82%
Concord, NH 0 0%
Manchester, NH 2 3.64%
Newburyport, MA 0 0%
Harrisburg, PA 0 0%
State College, PA 0 0%
Syracuse, NY 1 1.82%
Stay in Scranton, PA 5 9.09%
Other (Please Specify Below) 4 7.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My suggestions: Madison, Wisc., Ann Arbor, and Minneapolis. None are fashion-obsessed (at least from what I've seen, but then again I don't swing in high-fashion circles myself! LOL), but all have that cultural and progressive vibe that you seek. Ann Arbor is smaller -- about the size of Erie -- but U of M provides a lot of cultural and educational opportunities. It's got a great downtown and the entire city is very walkable. Fabulous farmer's market (although not as fabulous as Madison's).
None of the places you recommend are in Ohio/Indiana/Illinois, but rather in the Northern enclaves of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

The North will rise again!

... wow, two people so far voted with me on Ann Arbor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 PM

331 posts, read 1,484,106 times
You really, really, really need to live in New York.
Not necessarily forever, but at age 20-something, you need to do it.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 AM

171 posts, read 789,353 times
Default Time to fly....

I am here to wish you luck with finding your dream location. You are young, adventure is at your feet and family will understand that this is your time to fly. You can always come home for the holidays. You are looking for a place to be yourself. I too am surprised no western part of the USA was mentioned. I would think you'd consider both coasts since fashion seems to start in the biggest cities there. Here is a link I found that may narrow down your search or just add cities to your list. I hope it helps you to narrow it down.

Also you mentioned friends in their new cities, happy, adjusted and where they've found the grass is greener. Which cities are those? Which cities may be for you? And when do you get to go visit those friends for a long weekend to explore for yourself. This way you can find an area which isn't just tolerant, but welcoming you with open arms, a place to call home. Good luck to you!!

(Hope this is ok to post here) Fashion link: http://www.infomat.com/calendar/indexbycity.html

PS I have found that we rarely regret the things we did try, but instead the things we never did.

Last edited by Kaligirl; 04-24-2007 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-24-2007, 04:58 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
You really, really, really need to live in New York.
Not necessarily forever, but at age 20-something, you need to do it.
Couldn't agree more. One of my regrets is not moving to Manhattan, living in a crappy apartment, blowing all my money (exaggerating - sort of) and having the time of my life. All 22-25 year olds must do it!!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Couldn't agree more. One of my regrets is not moving to Manhattan, living in a crappy apartment, blowing all my money (exaggerating - sort of) and having the time of my life. All 22-25 year olds must do it!!
Right on. That's exactly what I did. Loved every minute of it! Still get occasional pangs of nostalgia, but I'd never be able to afford to maintain "the style to which I'm now accustomed" if I moved back.

Given that SWB is a business major, I'd suggest that he get a job in NYC when he finishes college (there's always jobs out there for accounting/management types), work for a couple years, then go to B-school and get an MBA at Columbia or NYU. That way he'll have 4-5 years in the city, and the ability to write his own ticket after that . . .

Old 04-24-2007, 07:54 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,924,218 times
Vagus, just wondering when you lived in NYC? I was fortunate I grew up in New York, and was able to spend those transitional growing up years in Greenwich Village. However, back then, , in the dark ages, $107./mo for a studio was considered the height of luxury. You can't get a garage space for that nowadays.

Just wondering?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Vagus, just wondering when you lived in NYC? I was fortunate I grew up in New York, and was able to spend those transitional growing up years in Greenwich Village. However, back then, , in the dark ages, $107./mo for a studio was considered the height of luxury. You can't get a garage space for that nowadays.

Just wondering?
$107 for a studio in the Village?!?!?!

Dark Ages is right! I suspect you were WAYYYYY before my NYC time (mid-80's -- mid 90's) -- unless you had some ancient rent-control deal handed down from generation to generation . . .

I was actually born in the City, but my parents made the mistake of moving to Lawn Gisland when I was mere tyke . . . Always wondered how I would have turned out if I had grown up there . . . Ended up moving back after college, left for job reasons after a decade.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,924,218 times
My last rental in the Village, 1989, was just under $1000.00 for a spacious 1 bedroom apartment in an NYU complex on West 3rd Street, heavily subsidized by the School and only open to faculty.

And the $107 studio was a rehab that was probably worth 30 bucks! In the dark ages!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
$107 for a studio in the Village?!?!?!

Dark Ages is right! I suspect you were WAYYYYY before my NYC time (mid-80's -- mid 90's) -- unless you had some ancient rent-control deal handed down from generation to generation . . .

I was actually born in the City, but my parents made the mistake of moving to Lawn Gisland when I was mere tyke . . . Always wondered how I would have turned out if I had grown up there . . . Ended up moving back after college, left for job reasons after a decade.
"Lawn Gisland" - is that near "Statten Niland"??

My college roommate lived on the Upper East Side in the early 90's - $1200 for a *tiny* studio (maybe 300 sq ft) with a kitchette and 1 window that looked into an alley. NO natural light. She loved it.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,455,711 times
Id have to recommend Chicagoland of course. ;-) You just cant go wrong. There isnt anything here that you cant find in great abundance. Schools are top-notch, shopping is world class, sports are in abundance, art/science/etc are also world class. Nightlife in Chicago and many suburbs is phenomonal, as is the cuisine. Plus, the cost of living is cheaper here than in NYC, although its hardly "cheap". There are hundreds of suburbs to choose from, so youre bound to find dozens that fit your bill/lifestyle. Here, Google these or look here on citydata, see if you like any of these (all in Illinois of course).

Geneva, Wheaton, St. Charles, Oak Park, Lake Forest, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wayne, Bartlett, Warrenville, Hinsdale, Plainfield, Naperville, Lisle, Barrington, Barrington Hills, South Barrington, South Elgin, Winfield, Wayne, Long Grove, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Gurnee, Crystal Lake, Algonquin. Im forgetting many, hopefully this will be a good base for you. If youre ever out in the area, let me know and Id be glad to show you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or