U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Die hard Scranton fan, metropolitan area, good intellectual vibe, reasonable cost of living, four season climate, liberal atmosphere, urban pioneer, row home fixer upper, pedestrian friendly

View Poll Results: Where Should the Overstressed, Depressed, Fashion-Obsessed, Dorky Guy Move?
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 7 12.73%
Chicago, IL 8 14.55%
Madison, WI 3 5.45%
Rochester, MN 0 0%
Ann Arbor, MI 5 9.09%
Traverse City, MI 2 3.64%
Columbus, OH 4 7.27%
Pittsburgh, PA 6 10.91%
Philadelphia, PA 3 5.45%
New York City, NY 11 20.00%
Boston, MA 5 9.09%
Annapolis, MD 1 1.82%
Baltimore, MD 2 3.64%
Charlottesville, VA 1 1.82%
Burlington, VT 3 5.45%
Northampton, MA 2 3.64%
Pittsfield, MA 1 1.82%
Boston, MA 8 14.55%
Hartford, CT 2 3.64%
Providence, RI 6 10.91%
Portland, ME 3 5.45%
Nashua, NH 1 1.82%
Concord, NH 0 0%
Manchester, NH 2 3.64%
Newburyport, MA 0 0%
Harrisburg, PA 0 0%
State College, PA 0 0%
Syracuse, NY 1 1.82%
Stay in Scranton, PA 5 9.09%
Other (Please Specify Below) 4 7.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id have to recommend Chicagoland of course. ;-) You just cant go wrong. There isnt anything here that you cant find in great abundance. Schools are top-notch, shopping is world class, sports are in abundance, art/science/etc are also world class. Nightlife in Chicago and many suburbs is phenomonal, as is the cuisine. Plus, the cost of living is cheaper here than in NYC, although its hardly "cheap". There are hundreds of suburbs to choose from, so youre bound to find dozens that fit your bill/lifestyle. Here, Google these or look here on citydata, see if you like any of these (all in Illinois of course).

Geneva, Wheaton, St. Charles, Oak Park, Lake Forest, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wayne, Bartlett, Warrenville, Hinsdale, Plainfield, Naperville, Lisle, Barrington, Barrington Hills, South Barrington, South Elgin, Winfield, Wayne, Long Grove, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Gurnee, Crystal Lake, Algonquin. Im forgetting many, hopefully this will be a good base for you. If youre ever out in the area, let me know and Id be glad to show you around.
Hell, if every upper middle class suburb can be nominated, why not suburbs outside of Cleveland or Detroit?

Hoffman Estates? Naperville?

I think he wants Evanston. (I want Evanston.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Um, Cleveland and Detroit are not exactly what youd call "desirable" (sadly). I referenced these burbs because theyre close to Chicago. Capeesh? LOL

Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id have to recommend Chicagoland of course. ;-) You just cant go wrong. There isnt anything here that you cant find in great abundance. Schools are top-notch, shopping is world class, sports are in abundance, art/science/etc are also world class. Nightlife in Chicago and many suburbs is phenomonal, as is the cuisine. Plus, the cost of living is cheaper here than in NYC, although its hardly "cheap". There are hundreds of suburbs to choose from, so youre bound to find dozens that fit your bill/lifestyle. Here, Google these or look here on citydata, see if you like any of these (all in Illinois of course).

Geneva, Wheaton, St. Charles, Oak Park, Lake Forest, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Wayne, Bartlett, Warrenville, Hinsdale, Plainfield, Naperville, Lisle, Barrington, Barrington Hills, South Barrington, South Elgin, Winfield, Wayne, Long Grove, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Gurnee, Crystal Lake, Algonquin. Im forgetting many, hopefully this will be a good base for you. If youre ever out in the area, let me know and Id be glad to show you around.
Chicago burbs suck with exception of maybe Glenview, Winnetka, Kenilworth, and Wilmette. Lake Forest is nice but too far out. Evanston sucks. I like the city -- Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Lakeview, Andersonville, Loop/South Loop, Hyde Park, Wicker Park. Cuisine in burbs is hit or miss some decent restaurants in places like Hinsdale or the Glen. Cuisine in city is good. 400k though in the burbs is going to get you a very crappy house/townhome. 400k in the city will get you a decent pad maybe a little smaller and certainly more up north in place like Edgewater.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,155,879 times
If your gay, Columbus, i live here and Columbus is VERY gay friendly, per population there is nothing in the midwest similar. And the neighborhood someone mentioned east of downtown that gay men are fixing up, that is one of many neighborhoods that the gay community has fixed up. Basically, all of central city Columbus is gentrification by gays and art types, for the past 10 yrs. It is just now gaining attention outside of the region though, so prices for some sought after neighborhoods are on par with a decent one in Chicago.

If you do not decide on Chicago, maybe too large? I would say Columbus, unless you want something smaller and more "college town" then Madison, Columbus has the college section of the city, but its hardly a college town, so if that's what you want I wouldn't move to Columbus.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM

942 posts, read 1,067,146 times
If you have made up your mind to move, and truthfully I don't think you really want to go far. Yes I understand Scranton isn't giving you what you need, and at some point moving far away might be in your future. For now why don't you just test the waters so to speak, try Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, not to far, but out of your area. If it doesn't work out and you find your just needing somemore time at home, then Scranton isn't too far away. Please don't go moving off to some far off place right now, I just don't see that for you right now. People see your name and posts all over this forum, the pictures you posted of those houses. After awhile you become everyones kid, and some people will adopt you in a small way. Don't go to far yet, you have plenty of time. Pittsburgh especially might give you all those social outlets and connections you need right now, smaller than Philadelphia, and maybe easier to adjust to for your first move in life. And don't stay too depressed, there is alot of life out there, your still very young.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 AM

11 posts, read 53,534 times
Dear Scranton Wilkes-Barre --

It is a tough decision moving from home -- but it sounds like you already have your bags half-packed -- On all the accounts but one -- that you mentioned, I recommend Evanston, Illinois near Chicago -- It is a college-town home of Northwestern University -- It is diverse, cultural, and intellectual. It has a great downtown area, is located on the shores of Lake Michigan -- but the downside -- is that it is pricey -- real estate is no bargain here. and real estate is on the slow side right now --

I have lived here for nearly twenty years now -- and really love this location. It is only 20 minutes to Chicago -- with all the wonderful cultural opportunities afforded there. Most young people that I know are enamored with Chicago -- there is so much to do and to see -- but again -- it can be pricey -- and it tends to suck out all the money in your wallet if you are not careful --

I recommend that you relocate where you know people -- as this will help you tremendously -- both emotionally -- and perhaps getting started again in terms of your business -- Real estate is rough all over now -- So you may want to have an alternative -- i wouldn't suggest moving anywhere right now unless you have a potential income opportunity --

also, there are some websites out there to help you find your right place -- I wonder if you have checked these out -- One that i know of is called

****.org -- Find Your Spot .org -- Check this out -- It might be of help to you --

I know that there are other such sites as well -- and will try to find my list of them -- I made one recently -- If i find it, I will respond again to you -- The more information that you have the better --

One last note -- When evaluating the cost of living in any town be sure to calculate the housing and transportation cost together -- Sometimes a city might have a high housing index -- but the affordability of getting around the town offsets this high price -- The Center for Neighborhood Technology in Chicago -- CNT --- has developed an index that rates major cities on the housing and transportation costs combined --- You would be surprised at the results -- Chicago is a cheaper place to live -- taking both factors into account -- than, for instance, Cincinnati, Ohio !

Hope that you find this information to be a help to you -- I know that transitions are difficult -- but if you find yourself called to go -- listen to that inner voice !

Best Wishes -- Judy C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or