U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,147,695 times

Advertisements

Michigan is a no-brainer... Too many of us Michiganders transplanting elsewhere, too!

Ohio... Not the greatest, but C-bus doing alright. NW Ohio.. Not doing good at all.

The midwest, as a whole, not good.

Strongest?

I keep hearing so many good things about SE (Altlanta, Carolinas), Texas, and Wyoming.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM

505 posts, read 1,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
highest unemployment rate is Rhode Island (yes worse than Michigan) all do to corruption and lack of jobs here. although that could all change if the big 3 car manufacturers go under.
Interesting. I'm surprised yet not very surprised at the same time.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

240 posts, read 393,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Which states have the best and worst economies?

-Alabama: I saw that the unemployment rate was 3.4% and Birmingham and Huntsville are rather affluent cities with lots of industry.
I'm not sure your criteria are for economies, but I would never put Alabama near the top, basically for reasons that can be garnered right from this city-data site "Although Alabama's prosperity has increased, particularly in recent decades, the state still lags in wage rates and per capita income". Personally, I find per-capita income to be one of the central factors of a "good economy".

This is an interesting site, particularly about midway down the page:
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...ewsrelease.htm

Per Capita Real GDP by State:
Top 10 (wealthiest to poorest)

Delaware
Connecticut
New York
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Alaska
California
Virginia
Minnesota
Colorado

Bottom 10 (poorest to wealthiest)
Mississippi
West Virginia
Arkansas
Montana
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Alabama
Idaho
Maine
Kentucky

Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM

170 posts, read 290,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Which states have the best and worst economies?

Here is what the top 5 that from what I have seen have among the best economies at the current time in my opinion

-Wyoming: Its the wealthiest state in the west, surpassed Colorado with the high price of natural gas, coal and oil.

-Alabama: I saw that the unemployment rate was 3.4% and Birmingham and Huntsville are rather affluent cities with lots of industry.

-Montana: Unemployment rate is 2% although its a low-wage state. Probubly good for those in the construction field!

-Idaho: This state seems to be a very fast growing state economically. Lots of people moving to Boise.

-Oklahoma: It seems alot of the growth is spilling over from Texas

States with bad economies:

-Michigan
-Ohio
-Indiana
-Mississippi
-South Carolina
Oklahoma has lots of Oil & Gas Industry related businesses. Also, lots of coal. We grow wheat, beef, etc. There are new research centers, the medical field, etc.

Yes, we lost our General Motors plant in Oklahoma City, but it did not seem to matter too much to most people. Seems the citizens of Oklahoma County voted to buy the plant and lease it back to the Federal Government (Tinker Air Force Base) for, I think, $1.00 per year. Hopefully, Tinker will increase the number of aircraft related employees from Oklahoma. There's LOTS of aircraft jobs here. FAA is also located at Will Rogers Airport.

"They" say housing is pretty good here, too. I've heard the Real Estate Industry hasn't been affected too much. But, I don't know for sure. I do know that you get MUCH MUCH more for your money here than you do in most states. Some people are shocked when they come here for the first time. They are amazed at how much house you can get for so little.

People here are also worried about the economy. Maybe we just haven't felt the economic bust yet, and hope we don't. I do know that when the oilfield busts, it's just plain awful! I certainly feel that if Oklahoma starts in the direction of "Green" related jobs, then we will continue to do well.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
I was talking about my friend about Michigan. His best friend from college owns an auto supply company near Detroit. I guess they positioned themselves very well, and transitioned over to selling supplies to a french manufacturing company.

He said the Detroit area is kinda in a state of shock right now. People are starting to see that if things really end up the way they're going, the entire region will basically just die.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,106,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Interesting. I'm surprised yet not very surprised at the same time.
the providence journal today the RI unemployment rate hit 9.3 % today. NPR said it would prob hit 14% in the next two years. no jobs here and of those that are here, many are manufacturing.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,238,906 times
In no particular order

Best: Texas (hands down), Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Washington, California (yes, really, but just in healthcare), Tennessee, Wyoming (oil industry)

Worst: Michigan (hands down), Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, upstate New York, Connecticut, Mississippi, Kentucky (can't find a real job here to save my life), Rhode Island, Louisiana

Old 11-21-2008, 05:05 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,729,292 times
California now has the #3 unemployment rate and its state government has about $0. Plus the construction industry is moribund. It will be interesting to see if it can pull itself out and maintain a strong economy.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Location: PNW native currently residing in the SoCal high desert
259 posts, read 561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
In no particular order

Best: Texas (hands down), Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Washington, California (yes, really, but just in healthcare), Tennessee, Wyoming (oil industry)

Worst: Michigan (hands down), Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, upstate New York, Connecticut, Mississippi, Kentucky (can't find a real job here to save my life), Rhode Island, Louisiana
Maybe it's because I'm not an economist, but I don't understand how California could have a strong economy when there is a state deficit the size of Arnold's ego .
I would think strong economy would also = no state dficit. Not just low unemployment.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

180 posts, read 453,614 times
North Dakota has a very strong economy in my opinion. I work in retail, and have never seen a place where people shop and spend money constantly like they do here. And yet they always have more. We have super-low unemployment below 3% and very little poverty. Businesses cannot keep enough workers here.

The western part of the state is starting to boom with oil and the entire state with wind energy. The state has a large budget surplus too.

In a way its not always good, because some of the people here cannot relate to what other regions are going through, and think they are better and immune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or