U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,861,463 times

Advertisements

Best - Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM

935 posts, read 2,190,223 times
Those that said Virginia, you are probably talking about the east because I know in the western part of the state most people can only get a job in health care, coal mining, and Wal-Mart. So, for those wanting to go to Virginia I recommend heading east unless you want to work in those 3 that I mentioned.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
Yes and no. If you take a snapshot of current per capita income, I see your point. But if you look at overall trends, then suddenly the picture gets more complicated. Add a generally lower cost of living, lower taxes, etc., then you begin to realize per capita income alone isn't an effective benchmark. I mean, North Carolina and Georgia were in Alabama's shoes 20 years ago. Look at them now. What's more, if you have an unemployment rate that remains 1-1.5% below the national average, that's a strong economy relative to the rest of the country--no matter what means you use to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
I'm not sure your criteria are for economies, but I would never put Alabama near the top, basically for reasons that can be garnered right from this city-data site "Although Alabama's prosperity has increased, particularly in recent decades, the state still lags in wage rates and per capita income". Personally, I find per-capita income to be one of the central factors of a "good economy".

This is an interesting site, particularly about midway down the page:
BEA News Release (GDP by State)

Per Capita Real GDP by State:
Top 10 (wealthiest to poorest)

Delaware
Connecticut
New York
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Alaska
California
Virginia
Minnesota
Colorado

Bottom 10 (poorest to wealthiest)
Mississippi
West Virginia
Arkansas
Montana
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Alabama
Idaho
Maine
Kentucky

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM

181 posts, read 789,522 times
Texas is obviously best, duh.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
what about california isnt itthe worst state? the unemployment rate is about 10-11 %

Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,967,323 times
Default I used to work with a boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
North Dakota has a very strong economy in my opinion. I work in retail, and have never seen a place where people shop and spend money constantly like they do here. And yet they always have more. We have super-low unemployment below 3% and very little poverty. Businesses cannot keep enough workers here.

The western part of the state is starting to boom with oil and the entire state with wind energy. The state has a large budget surplus too.

In a way its not always good, because some of the people here cannot relate to what other regions are going through, and think they are better and immune.
1:1 on with in Florida. His Dad had been out of work for over a year and they were living in their truck for a time. His Dad got a job in North Dakota and they moved immediately.

Florida has to be right up there in the worse unemployment states. I think it is somewhere around 10% right now.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,958,783 times
I think Nebraska has the best economy..

Michigan, Florida, California, and South Carolina are on crutches.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes and no. If you take a snapshot of current per capita income, I see your point. But if you look at overall trends, then suddenly the picture gets more complicated. Add a generally lower cost of living, lower taxes, etc., then you begin to realize per capita income alone isn't an effective benchmark. I mean, North Carolina and Georgia were in Alabama's shoes 20 years ago. Look at them now. What's more, if you have an unemployment rate that remains 1-1.5% below the national average, that's a strong economy relative to the rest of the country--no matter what means you use to measure.
I agree. The GDP of a city is not a very good indicator of the quality of it's economic climate. Unemployment, per capita incomes, cost of living, etc.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows

Going by that the following states are at their, recorded, high for unemployment. (Bear in mind they've only been recording by state since 1976)

California
Florida
Georgia
Nevada
North Carolina
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Carolina

No state is at its historical low right now. Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Wyoming seem to have the lowest unemployment rates. Louisiana and New Mexico are also doing pretty good when compared to their historical highs and lows.

The states with the lowest historical lows are Wyoming and New Hampshire. Both have had unemployment get below 2%. Wyoming has the lower unemployment rate of those two today. The state with the highest historical highs are Michigan and West Virginia who both have had unemployment rates go above 15%. Contemporary West Virginia is, in comparison, okay compared to that high.

I'm having trouble finding recent poverty figures by state.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM

16,946 posts, read 22,260,462 times
Vermont is terrible, economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or