Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 AM

673 posts, read 4,061,198 times

Advertisements

Which states have the best and worst economies?

Here is what the top 5 that from what I have seen have among the best economies at the current time in my opinion

-Wyoming: Its the wealthiest state in the west, surpassed Colorado with the high price of natural gas, coal and oil.

-Alabama: I saw that the unemployment rate was 3.4% and Birmingham and Huntsville are rather affluent cities with lots of industry.

-Montana: Unemployment rate is 2% although its a low-wage state. Probubly good for those in the construction field!

-Idaho: This state seems to be a very fast growing state economically. Lots of people moving to Boise.

-Oklahoma: It seems alot of the growth is spilling over from Texas

States with bad economies:

-Michigan
-Ohio
-Indiana
-Mississippi
-South Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM

653 posts, read 3,401,346 times
Wisconsin economy not the greatest either.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:02 PM

800 posts, read 4,289,252 times
Isn't Michigan one of the worst right now? One of the reasons I'm leavin'

Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,305,333 times
Best:
-Texas
-Georgia
-Massachusetts

Worst:
-Michigan
-Michigan
-Michigan

Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,452,436 times
Alabama definitely has one of the best economies with a very low unemployment rate as stated by the original poster. Texas also has a very strong economy.

The latest issue of Atlanta magazine has an article talking about all the major employers (BellSouth, GeorgiaPacific, etc) that are moving their headquarters out of GA because of mergers and buyouts, as well as the anticipated closure of Fort Mac and Gillem in Atlanta and Ford and GM plant closures. I'm sure Ga will keep rolling along but this has to be a bump in the road.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,454,327 times
South Carolina does have a bad economy. I don't know why; it's wedged in between Georgia and North Carolina, both of which have strong economies. All I can figure is that it's due to our large indigent population. Some people blame it on the education system, but IMO the education system is a product of the people of a state. I guess it's 'the chicken or the egg'. Back before the Civil War, Mississippi and South Carolina had the highest number of slaves, relative to the overall population. Today they have the two worst education systems, and the worst economies, highest obesity & diabetic rates, etc., etc.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:35 PM

469 posts, read 2,731,483 times
Here in Gulfport MS, half the newcomers are from Detroit and Nebraska. When people are fleeing from Michigan to the promised land of financial security that is Mississippi, something has gone terribly wrong.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:36 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,881,112 times
My home state of Michigan probably takes the top 5 spots ... one for each of its major cities and so on.

Ohio is depressed, Indiana is not great, and Wisconsin sounds bad.

Illinois is actually doing very well, although the state budget is in shambles and they want to tax everything (including the air, probably starting next year or the year after that)!

Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 44,296 times
Poor Michigan-horrible economy but beautiful state. Illinois -chicagoland still is growing and developing out to the west north and south-chicago gets bigger and bigger everyday

Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,550,957 times
highest unemployment rate is Rhode Island (yes worse than Michigan) all do to corruption and lack of jobs here. although that could all change if the big 3 car manufacturers go under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.