U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
83 posts, read 252,913 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

I think this is an interesting idea about the Creative Class. I believe it's true too.

Here is the website linked to the maps section of the site: maps : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida

What are your thoughts about the Creative Class cities? Which ones "get it" and which ones are the next to attract these groups of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
83 posts, read 252,913 times
Reputation: 27
Default Another quick link

Another link to the best cities for the Creative Class: best cities : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 9,090,851 times
Reputation: 2460
I find it odd that the cities in the western half of the country have more single men than women. Conversely, the eastern half of the country has more single women. Who'd a thunk it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I find it odd that the cities in the western half of the country have more single men than women. Conversely, the eastern half of the country has more single women. Who'd a thunk it?
Why odd? Hasn't that always been kind-of the case? In the older eras the single men were more likely to go West due to Gold, Cattle, etc. Now much of the draw in the West is tech, engineering, etc. Those things also tend to draw men more. (Not as disproportionately as mining, I don't think, but still tech/engineering is disproportionately men as I recall)

Anyway the site seems really impressed with Bridgeport, Connecticut as it's in every category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
83 posts, read 252,913 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Anyway the site seems really impressed with Bridgeport, Connecticut as it's in every category.
Yeah, I noticed that too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,219,532 times
Reputation: 13610
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizonz View Post
I think this is an interesting idea about the Creative Class. I believe it's true too.
If you like the "idea," you should read his book. I have and it's a good one.

overview : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 13,177,414 times
Reputation: 3642
I love looking at these kinds of maps. I looked at all of the categories for the US on that site, very interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
83 posts, read 252,913 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Why odd? Hasn't that always been kind-of the case? In the older eras the single men were more likely to go West due to Gold, Cattle, etc. Now much of the draw in the West is tech, engineering, etc. Those things also tend to draw men more. (Not as disproportionately as mining, I don't think, but still tech/engineering is disproportionately men as I recall)

Anyway the site seems really impressed with Bridgeport, Connecticut as it's in every category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I love looking at these kinds of maps. I looked at all of the categories for the US on that site, very interesting...
Good, I'm glad you liked it.. I love maps like that too..

Maybe you've seen this one too: Mapping the Quality of Life in the US | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
 
56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Reputation: 12509
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I find it odd that the cities in the western half of the country have more single men than women. Conversely, the eastern half of the country has more single women. Who'd a thunk it?
You also have to think about the military influence is pretty big out West. Think about the military bases near LA, Seattle, Denver, Colorado Springs, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Spokane, San Diego and other cites, big and small. Considering that the military is composed mostly of men, I can see why the West has more single men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Greater PDX
1,018 posts, read 3,727,253 times
Reputation: 941
Is anyone else already starting to grow weary of the term "creative class?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top