U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 06:35 PM

625 posts, read 1,562,595 times

Advertisements

My family (wife 2 daughters 2 and 5) are getting a late start planning our summer vacation. We would like something within a 1100 mile radius of Madison, WI. We like the following but are flexible:

1) Nice single unit 2 bedroom on a lake
2) Woods for hiking
3) some lite shopping
4) Swimming
5) Horseback riding
6) Fishing (I like to dable not that important)
7) Not crazy busy
8) Things for kids

We have looked at the Lake Champlain area of New York and Vermont but are not sold. Please don't suggest Northern Wisconsin - it's great but been there done that. Please offer suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 AM

We are desperate for suggestions, please help!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:43 AM

244 posts, read 960,530 times
Hi! I'll bump this up for you. If I think of anyplace I'll let you know.

Actually, I thought of something. A few years back before I had children, we went to Bar Harbor, Maine. It was beautiful, and may fill some of your requirements.

I'm not sure of distance to Wisconsin (I'm in NJ), but the area is gorgeous and there is lots to do for families. They have many, many quaint shops to browse and stroll into, with wonderful restaurants mixed in. They have boating, hiking, horseback riding, you name it! Acadia National Park has everything to explore. They have the mountains where you can watch the sunset (unusual for the east coast!).

The only thing I can't promise is lack of crowds. I think this is a very busy place, but when you go will also determine this.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 AM

70 posts, read 296,592 times
I highly recommend the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountain region for you. The whole area is gorgeous, you can drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway, visit the largest wilderness in the Eastern US, one of the best national parks in the country, Asheville is a real fun little mountain town and the Biltmore Estate is stupendous. For kids, I know I enjoyed Gatlinburg on the Tennessee side of the park. It's sort of tacky, but has lots of fun little things for kids- at least as a diversion one day. I'm not sure of the details of where to get your cabin or on what lake/valley, but for a wilderness experience within 1000 miles of Wisconsin, its the most wild, awe inspiring land you can find. Not to mention the local culture (bluegrass, etc.) is a fun addition.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We actually went to Smokey Mountains a three years ago, although that was in Virginia.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 77,216 times
Default Give Michigan a try!

You're not going to hear this from many people that haven't lived there or visited much, but try a vacation to Traverse City, MI. It's especially wonderful in the summer, around the Cherry Festival.

Don't believe me? Click on www.visittc.com. You will see it's one of the most naturally beautiful areas in the country. I lived there for two years and miss it still everyday! Someday I hope to end up there again.

There are beautiful beaches, sand dunes, vineyards, lush forests and you have to see Torch and Elk Lakes. They have been voted some of the most beautiful lakes in the WORLD, not just the US.

The people there are friendly and nice. Reservations at hotels on the beach can be pricey in the summer, but have great views of the Bay (crystal clear - and cold - water).

If you like to golf, none better! Check out this site: http://www.arcadiabluffs.com/

Yes, Michigan is a wonderful place to visit and live!

Last edited by TKO1068; 04-22-2007 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 11:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,073,047 times
Bear, have you considered heading west? Have you ever been to the Black Hills of South Dakota? The scenery is very beautiful and there are a lot of things for children to do in Rapid City. There are also a lot of cabin rentals throughout the Hills. There are lakes to fish in, streams to sit beside, beautiful waterfalls, fresh air. You could see Mt. Rushmore and watch Crazy Horse being blasted out of the mountain. Keystone is the cutest little town at the base of Rushmore. You could see Deadwood and they always have something going on there. Evans Plunge in Hot Springs is a great place to swim with their "healing waters". (Natural spring water) Custer State Park is also nice and there are several caves and caverns to explore in the Hills. You could take the 1880 train from Hill City to Custer and see the countryside from it. You could also take a day trip into Wyoming and Montana. You could take a drive through my fave place~Spearfish Canyon. What do ya think?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM

70 posts, read 296,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Bear, have you considered heading west? Have you ever been to the Black Hills of South Dakota? The scenery is very beautiful and there are a lot of things for children to do in Rapid City. There are also a lot of cabin rentals throughout the Hills. There are lakes to fish in, streams to sit beside, beautiful waterfalls, fresh air. You could see Mt. Rushmore and watch Crazy Horse being blasted out of the mountain. Keystone is the cutest little town at the base of Rushmore. You could see Deadwood and they always have something going on there. Evans Plunge in Hot Springs is a great place to swim with their "healing waters". (Natural spring water) Custer State Park is also nice and there are several caves and caverns to explore in the Hills. You could take the 1880 train from Hill City to Custer and see the countryside from it. You could also take a day trip into Wyoming and Montana. You could take a drive through my fave place~Spearfish Canyon. What do ya think?
Yeah I second this suggestion. Definitely a cool, unique area with lots of scenery, outdoors recreation, and Old West history. Deadwood can be somewhat of a western version of Gatlinburg (smaller though). But seeing Mt. Rushmore alone is part of a quintessential American family road trip. Definitely had fun when I was in this area-- and that was during the very hard to please teenage years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or