Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM

218 posts, read 837,059 times

Advertisements

...and really, I have to wonder why so many people hate Salt Lake City. I expected to hate it since literally everyone I've encountered says it's the worst place they've ever been, but I really liked it. Granted, I was only there for two days, but it's got beautiful scenery, great outdoors activities, many touring bands coming through (mainstream and underground), a huge number of movie theaters, Sundance, diverse food, low traffic, a sizable nightlife, nice architecture and a thriving underground beer scene (which is particularly of note as the private memberships are disappearing). I can understand being annoyed with Mormon beliefs getting in the way of politics, but the city has so much to offer. I MUCH prefer it to other cities in the region; Boise has a much better reputation but is filled with too many close-minded trailer park types and has much less to offer in terms of culture. Missoula is very nice but so much smaller and too much of a college town. Even Seattle, which is a bit further away, is so overpriced in comparison (and doesn't seem to offer TOO much more overall). What's so bad about Salt Lake City?!

*I almost posted this in the Salt Lake forum, but I'm more interested in why this city constantly gets put down while other, lesser (in my opinion) cities have much better reps (while also hopefully getting a less biased opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,591,134 times
Well, it's fairly remote from other cities, and it is in a long valley, which means that smog can get pretty terrible in both the winter AND summer despite the relatively small size of the metro area.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
...and really, I have to wonder why so many people hate Salt Lake City. I expected to hate it since literally everyone I've encountered says it's the worst place they've ever been, but I really liked it. Granted, I was only there for two days, but it's got beautiful scenery, great outdoors activities, many touring bands coming through (mainstream and underground), a huge number of movie theaters, Sundance, diverse food, low traffic, a sizable nightlife, nice architecture and a thriving underground beer scene (which is particularly of note as the private memberships are disappearing). I can understand being annoyed with Mormon beliefs getting in the way of politics, but the city has so much to offer. I MUCH prefer it to other cities in the region; Boise has a much better reputation but is filled with too many close-minded trailer park types and has much less to offer in terms of culture. Missoula is very nice but so much smaller and too much of a college town. Even Seattle, which is a bit further away, is so overpriced in comparison (and doesn't seem to offer TOO much more overall). What's so bad about Salt Lake City?!

*I almost posted this in the Salt Lake forum, but I'm more interested in why this city constantly gets put down while other, lesser (in my opinion) cities have much better reps (while also hopefully getting a less biased opinion).
I agree with you completely. SLC is one of the most scenic big cities in the country, and it's a heck of a lot cleaner than pretty much any other big city in America. There's very little trash, graffiti, crime, or substandard housing in SLC. And while SLC doesn't have many high-rises, it's got a downtown that's full of life and that is very safe even in the middle of the night.

Also, when the Mormon pioneers were planning the city, they decided the streets needed to be wide enough for 12 wagons. This means that today there's very little traffic in the city because the streets are really, really wide. It also means that when the TRAX streetcars were built, the streets were already wide enough to accommodate them without adversely affecting vehicular traffic.

It's still en vogue in this country to make fun of the religious, in particular conservative Christian churches. This makes SLC an easy target for the millions of anti-Mormons out there who continue to perpetuate lies and half-truths about Mormons.

But, as you discovered, when visitors go to SLC they invariably find a gleaming, flowering city built in the middle of what used to be barren wasteland adjacent to spectacular mountains. It's easily one of my favorite cities in the country.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM

14 posts, read 33,949 times
SLC's Mormon population is possibly less than half, so it's certainly what I would call an oasis. It has some great music and scenery too. Underrated.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Been in SLC several times and am always impressed with it. While I generally don't like larger cities, SLC doesn't feel that way to me for some reason. It could be how clean it is, it could be how less congested it is compared to most other cities it's size, it even could be the attitude of the people I have run into there. I really can't put my finger on it, but it is a city that I like.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,473,929 times
For me, it's not so much an SLC thing as a Utah thing. Anywhere I must drive 100 miles across the state line to get a decent beer is automatically downgraded.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,547,003 times
Liquor Laws (http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/liquor_laws_affecting_visitors.html - broken link)

You can buy beer in Utah.

Whether it's 'decent' or not is subjective.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 AM

96 posts, read 242,098 times
I have never been there, but I have an friend who visited a long while back. He only had good things to say about it there, and kept talking about not wanting to leave. From what I heard, it sounds like a very scenic area with all the amneties one could want for a good life. If people don't like it, well I wouldnt know the reasons, but I do try to see the positives in life rather then the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.