Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 25,104 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions on where you think the best place to raise a family is!? I'm personally more interested in raising a family in a small town and in the South...but again I'd really like to hear your Opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courttpaige View Post
I'm looking for opinions on where you think the best place to raise a family is!? I'm personally more interested in raising a family in a small town and in the South...but again I'd really like to hear your Opinions. Thanks!
Texas is a great place to raise a family

Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM

136 posts, read 344,707 times
Lot of places are!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Can you be more specific? What do you think makes a good place to raise a family? Beyond the very basics (in an ideal world we all want safe neighborhoods and good schools) there are going to be some very, very different opinions about what makes a place good for families, even if you do limit it to just small town and southern.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
It would help to know what criteria you desire. There are varied lists, but many of them are more about larger towns and cities.

America's Best Places To Raise A Family - Forbes.com

Not sure it lists anything in the South.

The 100 best places to raise a family - TODAY 101

Columbus, Georgia and Virginia Beach, Virginia are in this lists top 5. I don't think either is small.

ProgressiveFarmer.com | Best Places To Live in Rural America 2009

Their list is intended as more rural. In the South their top ten includes: Fayette County, Texas; Oconee County, Georgia; Obion County, Tennessee; and Madison County, Virginia. Of towns in those counties Watkinsville, Georgia looks about the best educated and Kenton, Tennessee the lowest in crime. Watkinsville looks like it might be a suburb of Athens though. Madison County, Virginia looks to be the most rural of these counties.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Watkinsville-Georgia.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Kenton-Tennessee.html
http://www.city-data.com/county/Madison_County-VA.html

Brentwood, Tennessee seems to have a high rate of families and a low rate of crime. It's clearly a Nashville suburb though.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Brentwood-Tennessee.html

Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courttpaige View Post
As the others have said, you need to provide more details on what exactly you're looking for. "Small town and in the South" is pretty vague.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a small town that's not too far from a big city (1-1.5 hours), that has good schools, cultural amenities, good restaurants, shopping, historical neighborhoods, and is in an area that has beautiful countryside and four distinct seasons.

So, with that in mind, here's my list of where you should look:

Cookeville, Tennessee
Oxford, Mississippi
Rome, Georgia
Salisbury, North Carolina

Old 07-28-2009, 06:24 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,235 times
Best place to raise a family is in a house, condo, or apartment; not in a car.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
I recommend Fairhope, AL (25 miles from Mobile). Great town and IMO a great place to raise a family.

www.cofairhope.com

Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs and Wake Forest North Carolina. All are towns boarding Raleigh in Wake County. Cary (Which still calls itself a town at 130,000 people) is often cited as a wonderful place to raise a family.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,362 times
Someone already posted some "best places" to raise a family, so I will throw out a dose of bad news with the "worst"

10 Worst Cities to Raise a Family

This has the state rankings for childen's overall well being: Everychildmatters.org (http://www.everychildmatters.org/homelandinsecurity/geomatters.pdf - broken link)

IF you go to the bottom, they have an overall chart with scores for each state. From what I can tell, Virginia is the best state in the south, followed by North Carolina and Missouri (which are quiet distant). On the flips side, basically if a state touches the Gulf of Mexico, it is horrible for kids (Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas). Also throw South Carolina in there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.