Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which traffic lights way do you prefer?
3 way traffic lights - From red directly to green (U.S. standard) 28 63.64%
4 way traffic lights - From red, yellow to green (Europe standard) 10 22.73%
I don't care 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times

Advertisements

In Europe, and most of the world, has 4 way traffic lights signals, while in the U.S., it's 3 way.

For example, the U.S. does not have #2 as on the pictures. In Europe standard, from Red light, it's Red-Amber, then turns to green. In the U.S., from Red light, it turns directly to green.

Why is it like that in America? Where else is it like America?
Which way do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Why the heck it would go from red ( stop ) to yellow ( slow down, caution )?

It makes better sense that it will go from red ( stop ) to green ( go ) to yellow ( slow down, caution ) then back to red ( stop ).

Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Why the heck it would go from red ( stop ) to yellow ( slow down, caution )?

It makes better sense that it will go from red ( stop ) to green ( go ) to yellow ( slow down, caution ) then back to red ( stop ).

Because it means prepare to green (go). In Europe, most cars are driving manual, so it means be prepared to shift and ready to go. But the red-amber lasts only for 1-2 seconds

Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
4 way.

As noted, it's nice to have a heads up that the light will turn green.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
I am not against this idea... would like to see it, use it, before really say much one way or the other.

When in Mexico, I do like how the green flashes a couple times, indicating its getting ready to go to yellow. Gives opportunity to speed up before that sucker gets there! Seriously, anything that gives motorist more warning/information/knowledge could be a positive. One other thing on this topic [sort of ] - make the time of a yellow light more consistent, and reasonable, so person can safely and controllably slow down before red.

Back more on topic - wonder how if this was in place, how it would help those idiots in the left turn lanes that have to be awoke to get their arses going when the light does turn green? Seems like the first car or two are snails ,,, and then the rest of those in that lane are jammed up close together, trying to get across before the light goes red.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I really could care less, but I can see how the 4 cycle tends to make more sense if you really break it down.

If you're driving and see it flash yellow, you know it's going to turn and don't have to slow down any more than needed.

If you're stopped and see the flash to yellow, it gives you a second to prepare to go and check cross traffic, etc. I hate it when the light turns green, and THEN drivers start looking around to proceed through the light.

It's only yellow for maybe a second, just gives you that quick alert to be ready.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Because it means prepare to green (go). In Europe, most cars are driving manual, so it means be prepared to shift and ready to go. But the red-amber lasts only for 1-2 seconds
If somebody is such a bad driver that they need a warning to get ready to move at a light, they shouldn't be on the road. I have driven standard vehicles since long before I could drive them legally on the road at 16, never needed a "warning" that the light was about to turn green and I could go. Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Bo; 07-29-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
In America, a red-yellow light would just mean "Go" to most of us. We're fast enough off the blocks as it is that we don't generally need a "warning" that we are about to get a green light.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
If somebody is such a bad driver that they need a warning to get ready to move at a light, they shouldn't be on the road. I have driven standard vehicles since long before I could drive them legally on the road at 16, never needed a "warning" that the light was about to turn green and I could go. Moderator cut: off-topic
Respectfully disagree - as stated earlier, the more information that a motorist has, the better they can act/react. Its not a matter of being a 'bad driver' - its matter of letting driver know that light is getting ready to turn green. I don't know about you, but during a red light, I am [and I do see many others doing the same] looking at the opposing signals, seeing when they go to yellow and then red, and me getting ready to get going down the road. I do not like stop/go [city traffic] driving, and anything that can help get cars moving sooner, faster, that is an improvement or at least worthy of discussion IMHO. Lastly, not every red light is timed the same, and with 'smart' lights, that change based on flow/needs & time of day, so having this extra second or two to inform driver that to quit yacking, texting, etc. and to pay attention that the nap time is over, that to me, as said, is of potential benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
In America, a red-yellow light would just mean "Go" to most of us. We're fast enough off the blocks as it is that we don't generally need a "warning" that we are about to get a green light.
I dunno... most of the city traffic driving I've experienced [midwest, Boston, FL, CA, TX] seems that ~1/3 do get going , 1/3 piddle about for hourrrrrs until going, and the other 1/3 are somewhere in between. Unfortunately for my blood pressure and patience, seems that I get behind those 1/3 piddlers more often than not

Old 07-29-2009, 03:45 PM

46 posts, read 163,860 times
I usually just watch the crosswalk signals. Especially the ones that count down. I feel like I'm in a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.