U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,982,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Both coast are left coasts (if you follow the restriction of 'east coast' to the Northeast, that is).

ABQConvict
but I have a coworker who is from California. To him, East Coast means any state from Maine to Florida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM

7,612 posts, read 9,469,701 times
Default I think "East Coast" ...

...largely means the Bos-Wash corridor; people will say "the Carolinas" or "Florida" if they need to mention the southern part of the eastern seaboard;

The "Left Coast" means both "geographically left" and "politically left".

Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,992,179 times
Re the map referenced above. Please don't put upstate NY in "The Midwest." You MIGHT be able to get away with that in far Western NY (ie the Buffalo area) but it really does not fit the character of the New York State at all.

The Midwest is mostly flat. Upstate NY is not mostly flat.

Religion is a political force in the Midwest. It is not a driving political force in Upstate NY.

Midwesterners have a bit of a twang (or a different sort of flat-a accent in Minnesota, etc) Upstate New Yorkers have a very generic accent like you hear on the nightly news.

The Midwest tends to be conservative. Upstate New York is only "conservative" in comparison to New York City. (in fact the "bluest" county in New York State, even bluer than anywhere in NYC, is Tompkins County... firmly in Upstate NY)

The Midwest is full of Baptists and Lutherans. Upstate New York is still largely Catholic.

The Midwest has a lot of Germans and Scandinavians. Upstate New York is full of Italians and Irish (far less Germans and almost no Scandinavians).

Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 PM

The Midwest tends to be conservative. Upstate New York is only "conservative" in comparison to New York City. (in fact the "bluest" county in New York State, even bluer than anywhere in NYC, is Tompkins County... firmly in Upstate NY)

Ithaca? Yes, I think you are right.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Re the map referenced above. Please don't put upstate NY in "The Midwest." You MIGHT be able to get away with that in far Western NY (ie the Buffalo area) but it really does not fit the character of the New York State at all.

The Midwest is mostly flat. Upstate NY is not mostly flat.

Religion is a political force in the Midwest. It is not a driving political force in Upstate NY.

Midwesterners have a bit of a twang (or a different sort of flat-a accent in Minnesota, etc) Upstate New Yorkers have a very generic accent like you hear on the nightly news.

The Midwest is full of Baptists and Lutherans. Upstate New York is still largely Catholic.

The Midwest has a lot of Germans and Scandinavians. Upstate New York is full of Italians and Irish (far less Germans and almost no Scandinavians).
Hey Jeromeville, I'm a native of Upstate and have lived in the Midwest for many years. The Midwest IS different than upstate, but not in most of the ways YOU cite LOTS of Catholics in the Midwest, ever been to Chicago or Milwaukeee or St Louis or Dubuque or St Cloud? Religion is a "political force" in the Midwest? How so, and where? LOTS of Germans in upstate, check out c-d's stats for Rochester, Buffalo and lots of smaller cities in the western third of the state. LOTS of Italians and Irish in the Midwest, ever been to Chicago or St Paul or Cleveland or Detroit? Lots of solidly blue counties in the Midwest, too. Ever been to MN's Iron Range or MI's Wayne County, the Twin Cities, Johnson County, IA or Cook County, IL? Midwest mostly flat? How about the Porcupine Mountains, or Southern IL, or MN's Arrowhead, or southern OH, MO's Ozarks, or the Black Hills or the Turtle Mts? Coversely, drive for several hours along the southern shores of Lakes Ontario and Erie in NY and tell me that's not flat! Think Midwesterners all speak with a twang? I challenge you to listen to a native Chicagoan or Milwaukeean and a native Buffalonian and tell me you can tell the difference between their accents. Think Upstate is "mostly Catholic"? Go to any small town in the Finger Lakes region and count how many Catholic churches vs. Protestant churches.

Stop relying on stereotypes and get out there and see what upstate and the Midwest are really like!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,389,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Hey Jeromeville, I'm a native of Upstate and have lived in the Midwest for many years. The Midwest IS different than upstate, but not in most of the ways YOU cite LOTS of Catholics in the Midwest, ever been to Chicago or Milwaukeee or St Louis or Dubuque or St Cloud? Religion is a "political force" in the Midwest? How so, and where? LOTS of Germans in upstate, check out c-d's stats for Rochester, Buffalo and lots of smaller cities in the western third of the state. LOTS of Italians and Irish in the Midwest, ever been to Chicago or St Paul or Cleveland or Detroit? Lots of solidly blue counties in the Midwest, too. Ever been to MN's Iron Range or MI's Wayne County, the Twin Cities, Johnson County, IA or Cook County, IL? Midwest mostly flat? How about the Porcupine Mountains, or Southern IL, or MN's Arrowhead, or southern OH, MO's Ozarks, or the Black Hills or the Turtle Mts? Coversely, drive for several hours along the southern shores of Lakes Ontario and Erie in NY and tell me that's not flat! Think Midwesterners all speak with a twang? I challenge you to listen to a native Chicagoan or Milwaukeean and a native Buffalonian and tell me you can tell the difference between their accents. Think Upstate is "mostly Catholic"? Go to any small town in the Finger Lakes region and count how many Catholic churches vs. Protestant churches.

Stop relying on stereotypes and get out there and see what upstate and the Midwest are really like!
This is exactly right!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,730,111 times
When I lived in Iowa I remember folks (perhaps with tongue in cheek a little bit though it was sometimes hard to tell) would refer to the Mississippi River as the "east coast" and the Missouri/Sioux Rivers as the "west coast".

Having grown up in upstate NY in a not always blue county (but half a mile from an ALWAYS blue county) maybe I'll go on the thread swerve too:

-Riding the Amtrak you see more totally flat country from Buffalo to Syracuse than crossing Iowa. Having grown up in the hilly parts of the Finger Lakes Region that came as an especial shock.
-When I lived there the Quad Cities were more reliably liberal than the Syracuse area where I had proximately come from. Much more emphasis on economic liberalism than social liberalism though.
-In the small towns of the Finger Lakes the Methodist, mainline Baptist, Presbyterian churches are prominent in view. The Catholic church is on the side street or otherwise not on the green or with the others. I don't think generally religion was a primary determinant of voting as much in either upstate NY or eastern Iowa as it seems to be in central PA where I now live.
-Dubuque (in general size category intermediate between Binghamton and Elmira) has an inclined railway and a Roman Catholic archbishop. Good place for debunking easterners Iowa stereotypes.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,730,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
In location, but what makes it blue are generally the transplants - mostly from downstate, or upstaters who don't fit in.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,599,786 times
I think of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. In that case, Virginia, not Florida, is the southern end of the East Coast.

The coast bends far west too - Ohio and Florida are about equally far west!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM

The Southern states are on the East Coast. Aren't NC, SC, Ga, and Florida on the Atlantic Ocean, as in East Coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or