U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
 
766 posts, read 2,270,266 times
Reputation: 698

Advertisements

It's still a bit dubious to consider anything south of the Northern Virginia suburbs of D.C. to be the "East Coast". As much as there might be a rapid influx of northerners to North Carolina, the perception is that it's still a southern state (although as an Illini fan, we like to chalk up ESPN's obsession with Duke and the ACC as "East Coast bias", even though that really isn't geographically true). The exception is the Miami-Palm Beach area of Florida, which is very much influenced by its New York/New Jersey transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2007, 10:01 PM
 
3,155 posts, read 9,790,801 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
LittleMissSunshine, how do you figure? I've never, not once, heard a southerner say they were from the "east coast". How does it include NC, SC, and Georgia - and no, I don't mean geographically.
I doubt that I'm considered a Southerner still (grew up in NC, been on the West Coast for 15+ years... moving back to NC this summer) but since living on the west I coast I say "from the east coast" all the time. Because the house I grew up in is literally less than a mile from the Atlantic Ocean. I figure that's more East Coast than most of NJ & NY.

So yeah, I'm from the East Coast. But when I first moved west I use to say I'm from the Southeast and then when people found out I was from NC they (westerns) would all say... well tha'ts East Coast. When they think of SE they think of Mississipi, Alabama, etc. So thats where my "from the East Coast" thing came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
513 posts, read 869,041 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
It seems to. Especially since I've seen states that don't border the ocean at all, like Pennsylvania and Vermont, included in the "East Coast." And I also hear people from Atlantic-bordering Southern states use the terms synonymously.

How do you define the "East Coast"?
If speaking geographically I mean Maine to Florida. If speaking about the economic powers, I mean DC to New York. In general when I think or hear East Coast I think Northeast. But that is most likely due to the fact that I live in the Northeast. We don't usually think or talk about the South East Coast... unless to envy the weather.

As to PA and all that, it's on the East Coast because where else is it? I went through the schools in PA for the lower grades and teachers would teach you that you're on the East Coast. Also because it is within the Eastern Standard Time Zone. I'd say once you get past PA, say, to Ohio, you're approaching the Mid-West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 AM
 
766 posts, read 2,270,266 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
If speaking geographically I mean Maine to Florida. If speaking about the economic powers, I mean DC to New York. In general when I think or hear East Coast I think Northeast. But that is most likely due to the fact that I live in the Northeast. We don't usually think or talk about the South East Coast... unless to envy the weather.

As to PA and all that, it's on the East Coast because where else is it? I went through the schools in PA for the lower grades and teachers would teach you that you're on the East Coast. Also because it is within the Eastern Standard Time Zone. I'd say once you get past PA, say, to Ohio, you're approaching the Mid-West.
Pennsylvania is split. The Philadelphia area is definitely considered to be part of the East Coast even though it's not on the ocean, per se. (Boyz II Men was part of the "East Coast Family" and they were from Philly - that's empirical evidence!) However, Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania have much more in common with the Midwest. It's similar to how the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia would be considered part of the North while the rest of Virginia is arguably the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
513 posts, read 869,041 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Pennsylvania is split. The Philadelphia area is definitely considered to be part of the East Coast even though it's not on the ocean, per se. (Boyz II Men was part of the "East Coast Family" and they were from Philly - that's empirical evidence!) However, Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania have much more in common with the Midwest. It's similar to how the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia would be considered part of the North while the rest of Virginia is arguably the South.
I agree about PA. I just didn't think of splitting it in the last post. But yea, Philly is East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,594 posts, read 23,717,721 times
Reputation: 3505
Geographically, East Coast can be from Florida to Maine, but I've heard of another term that suits NC to FL; "South-Atlantic Coast."

There are other reasons to name it that besides cultural differences.

The Gulf Stream passes by here keeping the sea temps radically warmer than even neighbouring southern VA. The water comes from the Carribbean while the coast north of Cape Hatteras NC gets water coming from the north; the cold Labrador current. Different fish species live on either side of Cape Hatteras. Hurricanes strengthen in the south Atlantic but always weaken as they pass Cape Hatteras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
513 posts, read 869,041 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Geographically, East Coast can be from Florida to Maine, but I've heard of another term that suits NC to FL; "South-Atlantic Coast."

There are other reasons to name it that besides cultural differences.

The Gulf Stream passes by here keeping the sea temps radically warmer than even neighbouring southern VA. The water comes from the Carribbean while the coast north of Cape Hatteras NC gets water coming from the north; the cold Labrador current. Different fish species live on either side of Cape Hatteras. Hurricanes strengthen in the south Atlantic but always weaken as they pass Cape Hatteras.

Yea you can't really call it the Southeast as whenever I hear that term I think of India or Indonesia, etc. Looks like those Southerners are slippery folks, even down to what to call them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,594 posts, read 23,717,721 times
Reputation: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Yea you can't really call it the Southeast as whenever I hear that term I think of India or Indonesia, etc. Looks like those Southerners are slippery folks, even down to what to call them!
Southeast the term can be used anywhere. It all depends on what you are talking about. The province Ontario has a southeast portion. Apparently we also have a "Mid-Western" part of Ontario too.

How about "southeastern California," near the Arizona border?

What I was making reference to was a map of the lower 48. However, the southeastern U.S. can also be geographically considered the southeatern part of North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times
Reputation: 3485
When I lived in upstate NY and FL while growing up, I thought of upstate NY as definitely Northeast, but not East Coast. When I moved to the midwest, I heard people use the terms Northeast and East Coast interchagably, so I started doing the same (when ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!) So one day when I made a new acquaitance in Milwaukee, he asked me if I grew up there. "Nope", I said. "East Coast" Where? he asked. "Western NY." He just laughed. What's so funny, I asked. Turned out he was from Rhode Island. "Upstate NY is NOT East Coast", he scolded me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times
Reputation: 3485
Default Seaboard?

Not to diverge too far off topic, but how come the East Coast is often referred to as the "Eastern Seaboard", but you never hear any talk of a "Western Seaboard" in CA, OR, WA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top