U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not to diverge too far off topic, but how come the East Coast is often referred to as the "Eastern Seaboard", but you never hear any talk of a "Western Seaboard" in CA, OR, WA?
Maybe the same reason you don't near about the "Atlantic Northeast"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM

512 posts, read 867,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Southeast the term can be used anywhere. It all depends on what you are talking about. The province Ontario has a southeast portion. Apparently we also have a "Mid-Western" part of Ontario too.

How about "southeastern California," near the Arizona border?

What I was making reference to was a map of the lower 48. However, the southeastern U.S. can also be geographically considered the southeatern part of North America.
Ok. I'm wasn't arguing with you.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:27 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,698,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Ok. I'm wasn't arguing with you.
I know I was just kidding around too. I hope I didn't annoy you too much with my previous response.

I also thought it might be funny to hear of a "Mid-West" in Canada, as I myself have never heard that term used anywhere but in the U.S.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Maybe the same reason you don't near about the "Atlantic Northeast"?
Well yeah, but "northeast" is a direction, but "seaboard" is a ...um, something-else

Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well yeah, but "northeast" is a direction, but "seaboard" is a ...um, something-else
Seaboard is a synonym for 'Coast'.

I don't think there's any good reason why people don't say "Western seaboard", they just don't. I think he was saying "Atlantic Northeast", as in, "Why do they say 'Pacific Northwest', but not 'Atlantic Northeast'?"

But you can call it whatever you want to

Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 PM

165 posts, read 420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Actually, Pennsylvania does border the ocean. Part of it lines the Delaware Estuary.
*looks at map more closely*

I didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Seaboard is a synonym for 'Coast'.

I don't think there's any good reason why people don't say "Western seaboard", they just don't. I think he was saying "Atlantic Northeast", as in, "Why do they say 'Pacific Northwest', but not 'Atlantic Northeast'?"

But you can call it whatever you want to

Yes, that's right. And I'm a she...

Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,564,868 times
I'm sorry, I know this is an old topic, but I just can't keep quiet any longer. As a person who was born and raised in Pittsburgh with familial ties to Philadelphia, New York and Boston, I am rather sick of people saying Pittsburgh is the Midwest. How? From what I've seen of Pittsburgh and such cities as Philly, Baltimore, New York and DC, Pittsburgh is far more like these cities structurally than the Midwest. We have thousands of rowhouses on the Northside, Southside, Hill District, Uptown, South Oakland, Strip District, Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, etc.; nearly everything is made of brick, with a narrow and chaotic street layout and a significant structural density (60 years ago the Hill District had 40,000 people per square mile). Is this like the Midwest? Pittsburgh also has a large number of colleges and universities with a seriously liberal population. Oh, and all this stuff I hear about Pittsburgh being a friendly place to drive is true, but I guess you missed the study by All State (?) that ranked Pittsburgh as a more dangerous place to drive than New York City. Pittsburgh is also highly educated. With that being said, it is true that Pittsburgh is largely socially conservative with a very strong Democratic allegiance. This is most likely an influence of blue-collar Appalachia and not the Midwest. Overall, based on the architecture in the southern portions of the city, the strong traditional values, the popularity of hunting and fishing and the friendliness of the people, Pittsburgh is more of an Appalachian styled city than a Midwestern one. I could say a lot more on this, but I'll restrain myself and clarify that I don't mean to offend anyone--I would simply like to know why everyone considers Pittsburgh Midwest, but can't see how Pittsburgh is more Appalachian or even Eastern than Midwestern.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,900,535 times
Yes and no. You're forgetting that Vermont and New Hampshire are mostly inland states, as is I believe Pennsylvania. As far as i'm concerned, these are the northeastern states: Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,900,535 times
I would suspect that you don't hear about the "WEstern Seaboard" because the cities on the West Coast are a very good distance apart from each other with the exception of San Diego and Los Angeles. San Francisco is about 6 hours from Los Angeles, Portland is very far away from San Francisco, and Seattle is a good distance away from Portland. With the east coast, you essentially have major cities that are continuously lined up with each other every 100 miles, and once you get into the Northeast, it becomes that or possibly less. D.C. and Baltimore are practically the same city, Baltimore is very close to Wilmington, Wilmington is very close to Philadelphia, Philadelphia is very close to New York, New York is pretty close to Hartford, Hartford is very close to Providence, Providence is very close to Boston, etc. You essentially have a whole bunch of major cities lining the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or