U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM

135 posts, read 462,596 times

Advertisements

In response to the OP: East Coast does not necessarily mean "Northeast". I am located in Charleston, SC, very much "East Coast" geographically speaking, but totally different from our larger cities further north, with the exception of Boston, Charleston and Boston have striking similarities between the two, but I digress. I believe "East Coast" begins at the greater DC area and continues up to Maine. In my opinion, "East Coast" is an attitude that includes a certain forwardness when needed and a more culturally exposed and intellectually inclined person. This is not to say one cannot find people like this in other areas of the "East Coast" and that everyone in the NE fits this mold, as this would be a TOTAL LIE. However during my extensive periods in DC and Boston, I've found a good majority of the people to have this attitude. I don't take issue with it though. Hell, I'm engaged to one of "you's" ....-She's from Philly,lol.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 02-02-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
In my opinion, "East Coast" is an attitude that includes a certain forwardness when needed and a more culturally exposed and intellectually inclined person.
Oh, give me a break! You need to get out more, beyond DC and Boston.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM

697 posts, read 2,025,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I think he's from Charleston, South Carolina.

He's just stating his thoughts on how "East Coasters" feel about themselves and that "East Coast" is more of an attitude than a geographic location.

When I hear East Coast, I also think of just the Northeast, but I can see it as the entire eastern coast from Maine to Florida. It would all depend on the context of the discussion.

It's funny though. When I hear West Coast, I only think about California. I rarely think of Washington and Oregon (they are Northwest to me), even though they are physically on the western coast.

Maybe it's just me.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 PM

135 posts, read 462,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Sure, my thoughts exactly... And only because you suggested, why don't you just send my plane tickets too? As my username should indicate and you might well imagine I only fly first-class, I'm waiting.. lol.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
In my opinion, "East Coast" is an attitude that includes a certain forwardness when needed and a more culturally exposed and intellectually inclined person.
More culturally exposed and intellectually inclined than who? That was the point of my post!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM

79 posts, read 178,603 times
No, to me anyways, "East Coast" can mean anything from coastal Maine to the Florida Keys. "Northeast" to me means Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachussetts, New York.

I am originally from Upstate NY, but here in KY, I am commonly referred to as being from the "East Coast" or as a "yankee"...lol.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
jlx

17 posts, read 69,646 times
Default delmarva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Maryland is pretty much in the Northeast. Corporate, politics, educated, classy Northeastern feel to it. I guess it's mainly a white-collar state, especially DC.

The Mason-Dixon Line days have been over for quite some time.
Maryland is in an area commonly referred to as "delmarva" (don't know if anyone mentioned that) short for delaware, maryland and virginia. This is their own unique area, newscaster radiohosts etc refer to the region this way. They do no really consider themselves "East Coast" in the sense of the word new englanders do.

Note: the Mason-dixon line days are not over for those in the south-they indeed note the difference north v south in all aspects of culture and identity unless they are "transplants"

people tend to categorize areas differently based on their experience. For instance in NJ going to the ocean is commonly referred to as "going down the shore" People from NY or those who are or think they are superior will say"going to the beach". Although some of us like myself who have lived in different areas will use the terms interchangeably not to denote class just normal speech patterns.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,205,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicoe13 View Post
No, to me anyways, "East Coast" can mean anything from coastal Maine to the Florida Keys. "Northeast" to me means Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachussetts, New York.
Rhode island doesnt make the cut?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,328,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
Maryland is in an area commonly referred to as "delmarva" (don't know if anyone mentioned that) short for delaware, maryland and virginia. This is their own unique area, newscaster radiohosts etc refer to the region this way. They do no really consider themselves "East Coast" in the sense of the word new englanders do.
Really? I must be extremely missing something because I've lived here my whole life and can't recall this area ever being called Delmarva. Not once have i heard a newscaster say it. Only when talking about the Delmarva Peninsula do they call it Delmarva. This area is what we as Marylanders call the Mid-Atlantic, but never Delmarva. Out of curiosity, where do you live? And yes, we consider ourselves as being on the east coast, well at least if you live in the Bos-Wash metro

Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,037,027 times
When I think east coast, I am thinking about everything on the eastern coast, from Florida up to Maine. Same thing for the west coast, Washington down to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or