U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,551,622 times

Advertisements

Dude,

Delmarva is a term that is used on the eastern shore where Delaware, Maryland and Virginia share a peninsula. It has nothing to with this side of Maryland (DC & Baltimore and NOVA). Are you serious! No newscasters in the DC area call this part of the region the DELMARVA. I consider the East Coast from Boston to the DC area. It's all about the people's mindset, voting patterns, way of life and attitude. You can't buy this type of **** in parts of VA, the Carolinas, Georgia or Florida.

Delmarva Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by DC's Finest; 05-27-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
CNI

194 posts, read 521,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I consider the East Coast from Boston to the DC area. It's all about the people's mindset, voting patterns, way of life and attitude. You can't buy this type of **** in parts of VA, the Carolinas, Georgia or Florida.
And all of this time I actually though I was traveling "east" to the "coast" when I would visit Va Beach, Nags Head, Myrtle Beach.
I didn't think I could get any further "east" (at least not on foot or in a car) and I could have sworn (looking out at the Atlantic Ocean) that I was at the coast.
You learn something new everyday.
There's a degree of ELITISM at play here.
While many readily agree that there are huge differences in "mindset, voting patterns, way of life, and attitude" from the southern to the northern end of the "eastern seaboard" I find it hard to imagine that some think they can defy geography and ignore the fact that states touching the Atlantic are "east coast".
The "east coast" is not one monolith.
It is a variety of mindsets, attitudes, etc.
Those who claim there is some oneness of thought need to understand that D.C. is not the same as NYC or Philly or Boston. NYC is not the same as Boston. And so on.
Northeast is one thing. East coast is some thing different.
I would never define "west coast" as only the state of California.
The Californian mindset, way of life, attitude may be more influential and better known (due to media, business, pop culture) but that does not change the fact that there are Pacific northwest components to the west coast as well.
Just as there are southern components to the east coast.
Just like a family has all different kinds...so do regions.
If a person unfamiliar with the USA asked what part of the country I reside in I think east coast would be a good way to describe Virginia. Northeast would be a good way to describe Boston.
In fact, some of the places some would like to claim are not east coast are closer to the Atlantic than DC.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,208,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
And all of this time I actually though I was traveling "east" to the "coast" when I would visit Va Beach, Nags Head, Myrtle Beach.
I didn't think I could get any further "east"

Well, accually Boston is like 200 miles east of there. It's just also north.

But I think calling the northeast the east coast is silly. The east coast is anything east of 95

Last edited by TheWereRabbit; 05-28-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: BOLDing

Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM

133 posts, read 458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Upstate NY is in the same mess as Pittsburgh: a no man's land. Neither east nor west. Most people (out here anyway) think of all of NY and PA as the east coast. I once met a guy from Ohio who felt he was from the east. Ditto some from Michigan.
Um, no Upstate NY is not in the same category as Pittsburgh. Everybody agrees that NY is a northeast state. Buffalo is a northeast city, even though it is far western New York State. You may be confused because compared to the stereotypcial northeast, UNY is not as populated but neither is western MA compared to the eastern half. Where I live in NY-we definately consider ourselves Northeasterners, and everybody else does too.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
Um, no Upstate NY is not in the same category as Pittsburgh. Everybody agrees that NY is a northeast state. Buffalo is a northeast city, even though it is far western New York State. You may be confused because compared to the stereotypcial northeast, UNY is not as populated but neither is western MA compared to the eastern half. Where I live in NY-we definately consider ourselves Northeasterners, and everybody else does too.
And Pittsburgh isn't the Northeast, but Buffalo is? That is hilarious. Pittsburgh looks a lot like the East Coast with a row house-filled core, narrow streets, and a chaotic street pattern. Pittsburgh has one of the largest Italian populations in the country, both by percentage and sheer numbers. In addition, I've never known Pittsburghers to call themselves anything but Northeasterners. Buffalo however, looks just like a Great Lakes city, with a modest East Coast demographic influence.

Now to answer the question: Northeast does not equal East Coast, but the whole Northeast has a significant influence from the East Coast, and is similar enough in terms of architecture, demographics, and even culture to call itself one region.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:15 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
Both Pgh & Buffalo are Northeast. The only ones who would be confused about this would be people from other parts of the country. Are Pgh. & Buffalo "East Coast"? I'm from Rochester, and I and no one I know there, consider Rochester East Coast. I now live in the Midwest, where many people use East Coast and Northeast interchangeably, incorrectly in my way of thinking. I'll let Buffalonians and Pittsburghers decide whether they are "East Coasters" or not (I don't consider them to be).

Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 PM

133 posts, read 458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
And Pittsburgh isn't the Northeast, but Buffalo is? That is hilarious. Pittsburgh looks a lot like the East Coast with a row house-filled core, narrow streets, and a chaotic street pattern. Pittsburgh has one of the largest Italian populations in the country, both by percentage and sheer numbers. In addition, I've never known Pittsburghers to call themselves anything but Northeasterners. Buffalo however, looks just like a Great Lakes city, with a modest East Coast demographic influence.

Now to answer the question: Northeast does not equal East Coast, but the whole Northeast has a significant influence from the East Coast, and is similar enough in terms of architecture, demographics, and even culture to call itself one region.
I do not live in Buffalo and have only been through there on my way to other places so I do not have extensive knowledge of Buffalo like you! I have also never been to Pittsburgh. I was replying to someone's naive assumption that UNY was a "no man's land" a sort of disputed terrirtory. That is a assinine thing to say. No matter how you feel NYS is a northeast state, and everything within it's borders is northeast. I agree with you that the East Coast does not equal the Northeast, but really it is a term that has no clear definition. It is relative to the user what the term east coast refers to. I will always defend Buffalo as a northeastern city. It is in the northeast, as for Pittsburgh I have never been there and do not know about it's culture, but it is obvious that it is located in the northeastern US. So sure it's a northeastern city regardless of how many rowhouses it has or Italian districts. But if you want to break it down like that. I am sure that cities in UNY like Utica and Syracuse have a higher percentage of Italian-Americans and transplants from Boston, NYC, and other far eastern locales.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
I was replying to someone's naive assumption that UNY was a "no man's land" a sort of disputed terrirtory. That is a assinine thing to say. No matter how you feel NYS is a northeast state, and everything within it's borders is northeast.
I think her comment was about New Yorkers and Bostonians calling Upstate New York and W. PA the Midwest, while the people of the Midwest call Pittsburgh and Buffalo the East Coast--both areas sometimes deny PGH and BUF.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,230,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Well, accually Boston is like 200 miles east of there. It's just also north.

But I think calling the northeast the east coast is silly. The east coast is anything east of 95
LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States

Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 PM

500 posts, read 1,257,202 times
I think of the term "east coast" as any state that touches the Atlantic Ocean. For any state that borders a state that touches the ocean, I call them "east". >D I take the word "coast" very literally. Mwahaha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or