Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philly is not two hours from the shore!
its like an hour from Atlantic city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philly is not two hours from the shore!
Travelling from north Jersey to PA. I clock in 2 hours. It's an estimated 1 hour and 11 minutes if you're going by south Jersey travel to PA. Interesting how the Atlantic City Expressway makes a difference. It depends on where you are in Jersey, basically. (- A no brainer of course. I just wish an indoor waterpark would come up here...)

Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 PM

133 posts, read 498,319 times
Generally speaking, yeah in my mind the entire eastern seaboard equals the east coast. Every thing from Maine down to Florida. When I am in Florida (even on the Gulf of Mexico side) I still consider myself as "on the east coast". I do not think it matters how far from the Atlantic you are, if you are in one of the states that touches that Atlantic Ocean, you are on the east coast. So yeah, I would consider Pittsburgh and east coast city, located in western PA.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,258 times
No, to me East Cost means anything from Maine To Florida.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
I have now revised my position on this. I think any city within the Northeastern states and South Atlantic states should be classified as East Coast. Ironically, I hear the term "East Coast" referred to most often as the states within the Eastern Time Zone. Personally, I don't think there is enough similarities even within Bos-Wash to separate it as it's own region; in a country that is 3000 miles wide, I think it is reasonable to say any state with a coastline (or near coastline such as PA or VT) is East Coast.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
"East Coast" makes me think "Northeast" though I would agree its proper use would mean the whole Eastern Seaboard. It's similar to how most people (including C-D members) equate "West Coast" with "California" though its proper use includes the PNW.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
To me eastcoast means northeast. That's it. But if you use it LITERALLY then it would also equal Florida.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
To me, if I-95 cuts through it, then it's the east coast. That's Maine to Florida and all states in between, if I-95 doesn't touch it then it's not east coast.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 AM

66 posts, read 306,038 times
Haha this is a funny thread because it amounts to people saying that it either refers to what's literally the east coast, or just the northeast. Come on people, it's clearly both. You can't really say one or the other is wrong since one is actually a very literal definition, and the other is clearly the colloquial use of the term.
That said, south of Maryland I would definitely generally refer to as the South, and relatives in North Carolina certainly do not say they are from the East Coast. That's what we northerners say.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxl35 View Post
Haha this is a funny thread because it amounts to people saying that it either refers to what's literally the east coast, or just the northeast. Come on people, it's clearly both. You can't really say one or the other is wrong since one is actually a very literal definition, and the other is clearly the colloquial use of the term.
That said, south of Maryland I would definitely generally refer to as the South, and relatives in North Carolina certainly do not say they are from the East Coast. That's what we northerners say.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.