U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,911,567 times

Advertisements

Holy smokes! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen those picts of palm trees.

My mother did grown cactus outside here in the great north. Maybe I should try some palms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,028,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
How is Vancouver different from Seattle?
You mean other than it's in Canada?
More compact, better mass transit, closer to great skiing, its got better beaches closer to the city.
They are similar though.

Last edited by irwin; 04-24-2007 at 12:07 AM..

Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

I don't understand the sentence I highlighted in bold. You don't like vacations?
No, I do, but I don't like palm trees.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
You mean other than it's in Canada?
More compact, better mass transit, closer to great skiing, its got better beaches closer to the city.
They are similar though.
I agree, also much more scenic, with the Lions Gate Bridge and Stanley Park, amongst other things.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Holy smokes! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen those picts of palm trees.

My mother did grown cactus outside here in the great north. Maybe I should try some palms?

Like I said, the reason they can grow palms 49 degrees north of the Equator has nothing to do with the growing season being warm enough. It has to do with average and record winter cold.

Vancouver BC's coldest average overnight low is still 33 F in January, and their all-time record low is 0 F.
Where I live we go below 0 F almost every winter.

But if you want you could try them growing anyways.

I've got date palms growing in pots that I started from seeds. I move them indoors in early fall and bring them outside in late spring. They stay alive and healthy because I have grow lights.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No, I do, but I don't like palm trees.
Did you mean in the previous post (not this one) that you don't like to vacation in tropical places?

And I wouldn't be upset if I never saw another spruce or fir tree.

For me there's no better way to relax; hot sun, hot sand, palm trees, warm ocean, cold drink(s)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-24-2007 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 AM

I think the main reason northerners (myself included) are fascinated with palm trees are that their presence is an indicator what's probably a more ideal climate for people tired of cold rain, grey skies, ice, snow etc.

I also like most of them because they are interesting plant specimens.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Did you mean in the previous post (not this one) that you don't like to vacation in tropical places?

And I wouldn't be upset if I never saw another spruce or fir tree.

For me there's no better way to relax; hot sun, hot sand, palm trees, warm ocean, cold drink(s)
I mean, they're nice looking, but down here in Houston it seems to make too much of a contrast when you have tall pines and grand oaks in the backdrop and in front of them you have fern plants and palm thingies. So I guess that's what I meant to say.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:07 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,089,852 times
i would say, a great symphony

good theatre, a few art museums and galleries

good diversity of restaurants, parks

on the coast and lots of golf courses

Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I mean, they're nice looking, but down here in Houston it seems to make too much of a contrast when you have tall pines and grand oaks in the backdrop and in front of them you have fern plants and palm thingies. So I guess that's what I meant to say.
Maybe it depends on the species of palms. In South Carolina they seem to be able to blend their palms into their tall pine/oak background easily and nicely. But at the same time there are less palm trees to choose from there since their winters get colder than around Houston.

In SC, you see cabbage palmettos (state tree), pindo palm (small date-like palm), sago palm (very small cycad) and banana plants mostly. Sometimes you see tiny windmill palms, needle palms and chinese fan palms.

I suppose a giant, regal-looking Canary Island date palm would look strange next to a live oak with moss. I don't think they can grow in SC but I've seen pics of them even in San Antonio. In the East, you usually don't see that palm until you hit Florida.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-25-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.