U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

A lot of "you" work up here, and vice versa. There is more intermingling than you think. Most of the engineering dept at DH's job lives outside of Bouder, some as far away as Littleton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,124,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I believe the original ranking of the eleven world-class cities goes as such:

12 points
New York
10 points
Los Angeles
Chicago
9 points
San Francisco
6 points
Houston
Washington, D.C.
Dallas (I would imagine with Fort Worth included)
Boston
4 points
Atlanta
Miami
Minneapolis
3 points
Philadelphia
2 points
Seattle
Detroit
Cleveland
1 point
Baltimore
Columbus
Kansas City
Richmond
Richmond is a great city. I feel spoiled because my family has been here so long and I just love living in Richmond. Its truly a city for blue blooded aristocrats.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM

353 posts, read 378,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
A lot of "you" work up here, and vice versa. There is more intermingling than you think. Most of the engineering dept at DH's job lives outside of Bouder, some as far away as Littleton.
I know. I work in Boulder. And going there and back everyday really gives you a great perspective on the two cities. It's an instrumental comparison. If there are ever normal people in Boulder it is because of normal folks like your husband and myself who come in from Denver. But the real Boulderites are, well, they're totally far out, dude.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409
I believe the original ranking of the eleven world-class cities goes as such:

12 points
New York
10 points
Los Angeles
Chicago
9 points
San Francisco
6 points
Houston
Washington, D.C.
Dallas (I would imagine with Fort Worth included)
Boston
4 points
Atlanta
Miami
Minneapolis
3 points
Philadelphia
2 points
Seattle
Detroit
Cleveland
1 point
Baltimore
Columbus
Kansas City
Richmond
Columbus, Kansas City and Richmond before Denver? Denver is larger than all but Columbus, which has only the capital of Ohio and Ohio State to its name. (I would guess that the metro area is smaller, too.) Richmond is under 200,000 people. I realize it is the capital of Virginia, but that is its only claim to fame. Denver is the largest city in the Rocky Mountain area, and as such is an educational and cultural center.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,958 times
I agree SF is the 4th most important city. But it goes again, that a lot of Bay ARea's HQ's are located in the suburbs, but perhaps they would not relocate to the Bay area if it werent for SF.

example: Oracle in dublin (east bay).

Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,446,841 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Boulder is, like it or not, a suburb of Denver. I've only been to AA once and I think that it its situation with Detroit, too. That is not the situation with Madison/Milw. and Santa Fe/Albuquerque. Santa Fe is not a big college town, as the other three are, and is 58 miles from Albuquerque. The U of NM is in Albuquerque. Madison is 77 miles from Milwaukee....
My metaphors were flawed, to be sure. I actually spent about 5 minutes just trying to think of those 3 examples and the fact is that no two places can be compared very easily, let alone two PAIRS of places. It's like trying to compare the earth and its moon to Saturn and its moons. Doesn't work very well.

I agree that Boulder is a moon of Denver (here he goes with the metaphors again, oy vey...) Whereas Madison is quite distinct and geographically separated from Milwaukee. However, the comparison isn't totally invalid, in the sense that there ARE people who commute from Madison to Milwaukee, Ann Arbor to Detroit, Lawrence to Kansas City (a better example than Albuquerque and Santa Fe...) --- just because you commute from one city to another for work doesn't mean your identity is merged with the main hub. Boulder is its own entity, it's not merely a suburb of Denver, and if you removed Denver it wouldn't destroy the unique character of Boulder. It would just cause an economic adjustment the size of a magnitude 9 earthquake.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:23 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Quote:
Columbus, Kansas City and Richmond before Denver? Denver is larger than all but Columbus, which has only the capital of Ohio and Ohio State to its name. (I would guess that the metro area is smaller, too.) Richmond is under 200,000 people. I realize it is the capital of Virginia, but that is its only claim to fame. Denver is the largest city in the Rocky Mountain area, and as such is an educational and cultural center.
It really doesn't have all that much to do with size. It has to do with the city's ability to cater to the world.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
It really doesn't have all that much to do with size. It has to do with the city's ability to cater to the world.
Very well said. I think it also has to do with the vibrancy, size, and importance of the urban core. I would put Philly, St. Louis, Miami, Portland, and Honolulu above Denver because, while some are smaller than metro Denver, those cities have much more vibrant and important urban cores. Denver is a relatively small city surrounded by a relatively large suburban cohort. Compare that to, say, Portland where there is much more balance between the import and size of Portland itself and the surrounding suburbs. Culture, economics, politics, transportation and life in general in metro Portland orbits around the urban core. But in Denver it is much more scattered--sort of like LA--where you have the Tech Center, downtown, the suburban business districts, etc. If you look at the most 'important' cities--whatever that means--they revolve around their core city.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:42 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,981,261 times
Great another thread and the irrelevant city population is the basis of a city instead of the reality based metro figures.

And even in metro terms... to put Richmond, as fine as it might be, into the same category as a Denver is just absurd.

Ugh.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Great another thread and the irrelevant city population is the basis of a city instead of the reality based metro figures.

And even in metro terms... to put Richmond, as fine as it might be, into the same category as a Denver is just absurd.

Ugh.
I have no idea what you just said. All I'm saying is that the size of a city doesn't always make a city 'world class.' I never mentioned Richmond, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or