U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Hell
606 posts, read 533,521 times
Reputation: 85

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Austin is a nice city but it certainly isn't internationally important.
Austin is famous for its high-tech I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,908 posts, read 12,519,839 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
The first 8 or 9 make sense. I am not sure about the rest. It also seems like Philadelphia should be ranked higher.
I would concur. 9th most productive metro in the world. 4th in the USA but you would never know it if you asked your average american.


Seems there is a teenie bit of indifference in regards to the Philadelphia area. I guess everybody views it as a declining region but it is anything but...

Top 30 urban agglomeration GDP rankings in 2005 and illustrative projection to 2020 (using UN definitions and population estimates) Rank Cities ranked by estimated 2005 GDP at PPPs Est. GDP in 2005 ($bn at PPPs) Cities ranked by projected 2020 GDP at PPPs Est. GDP in 2020 ($bn at 2005 PPPs) Real GDP growth rate(% pa: 2006-20)


2005--------------2020
1 Tokyo 1191 Billion Tokyo 1602 2.0%
2 New York 1133 Billion New York 1561 2.2%
3 Los Angeles 639 Billion Los Angeles 886 2.2%
4 Chicago 460 Billion London 708 3.0%
5 Paris 460 Billion Chicago 645 2.3%
6 London 452 Billion Paris 611 1.9%
7 Osaka/Kobe 341 Billion Mexico City 608 4.5%
8 Mexico City 315 Billion Philadelphia 440 2.3%
9 Philadelphia 312 Billion Osaka/Kobe 430 1.6%
10 Washington DC 299 Billion Washington DC 426 2.4%
11 Boston 290 Buenos Aires 416 3.6%
12 Dallas/Fort Worth 268 Boston 413 2.4%
13 Buenos Aires 245 Sao Paulo 411 4.1%
14 Hong Kong 244 Hong Kong 407 3.5%
15 San Francisco/ Oakland 242 Dallas/Fort Worth 384 2.4%
16 Atlanta 236 Shanghai 360 6.5%
17 Houston 235 Seoul 349 3.2%
18 Miami 231 Atlanta 347 2.6%
19 Sao Paulo 225 San Francisco/ Oakland 346 2.4%
20 Seoul 218 Houston 339 2.5%
21 Toronto 209 Miami 331 2.4%
22 Detroit 203 Toronto 327 3.0%
23 Madrid 188 Moscow 325 4.0%
24 Seattle 186 Mumbai (Bombay) 300 6.0%
25 Moscow 181 Madrid 299 3.2%
26 Sydney 172 Detroit 287 2.3%
27 Pheonix 156 Istanbul 287 5.2%
28 Minneapolis 155 Seattle 269 2.5%
29 San Diego 153 Beijing 259 6.6%
30 Rio de Janiero 141 Metro Manila 257 5.9%

Source: PwC estimates and projections using UN population data and definitions (see Section III of full report for further details of data sources and methodology used).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,765,930 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I would concur. 9th most productive metro in the world. 4th in the USA but you would never know it if you asked your average american.


Seems there is a teenie bit of indifference in regards to the Philadelphia area. I guess everybody views it as a declining region but it is anything but...

Top 30 urban agglomeration GDP rankings in 2005 and illustrative projection to 2020 (using UN definitions and population estimates) Rank Cities ranked by estimated 2005 GDP at PPPs Est. GDP in 2005 ($bn at PPPs) Cities ranked by projected 2020 GDP at PPPs Est. GDP in 2020 ($bn at 2005 PPPs) Real GDP growth rate(% pa: 2006-20)


2005--------------2020
1 Tokyo 1191 Billion Tokyo 1602 2.0%
2 New York 1133 Billion New York 1561 2.2%
3 Los Angeles 639 Billion Los Angeles 886 2.2%
4 Chicago 460 Billion London 708 3.0%
5 Paris 460 Billion Chicago 645 2.3%
6 London 452 Billion Paris 611 1.9%
7 Osaka/Kobe 341 Billion Mexico City 608 4.5%
8 Mexico City 315 Billion Philadelphia 440 2.3%
9 Philadelphia 312 Billion Osaka/Kobe 430 1.6%
10 Washington DC 299 Billion Washington DC 426 2.4%
11 Boston 290 Buenos Aires 416 3.6%
12 Dallas/Fort Worth 268 Boston 413 2.4%
13 Buenos Aires 245 Sao Paulo 411 4.1%
14 Hong Kong 244 Hong Kong 407 3.5%
15 San Francisco/ Oakland 242 Dallas/Fort Worth 384 2.4%
16 Atlanta 236 Shanghai 360 6.5%
17 Houston 235 Seoul 349 3.2%
18 Miami 231 Atlanta 347 2.6%
19 Sao Paulo 225 San Francisco/ Oakland 346 2.4%
20 Seoul 218 Houston 339 2.5%
21 Toronto 209 Miami 331 2.4%
22 Detroit 203 Toronto 327 3.0%
23 Madrid 188 Moscow 325 4.0%
24 Seattle 186 Mumbai (Bombay) 300 6.0%
25 Moscow 181 Madrid 299 3.2%
26 Sydney 172 Detroit 287 2.3%
27 Pheonix 156 Istanbul 287 5.2%
28 Minneapolis 155 Seattle 269 2.5%
29 San Diego 153 Beijing 259 6.6%
30 Rio de Janiero 141 Metro Manila 257 5.9%

Source: PwC estimates and projections using UN population data and definitions (see Section III of full report for further details of data sources and methodology used).
There's no such thing as a GDP for a metro. It's called a GAP, and that list is a little twisted if you ask me. Not saying that it's not real, but it seems to be estimated wrong.

Can I see the link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,287 posts, read 4,650,691 times
Reputation: 662
It appears that another economic measure for metro areas is GMP (Gross Metropolitan Product). Here are links to the 2005 and 2004 listings, and the Phili area ranks high on the list.

http://www.gpec.org/infocenter/topics/economy/gmp.html (broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_Metropolitan_Product

I agree with rainrock that people tend to be indifferent towards Phili, but that's mostly because it sits between and is overshadowed by New York and DC. Boston also gets more air time, it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,765,930 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
It appears that another economic measure for metro areas is GMP (Gross Metropolitan Product). Here are links to the 2005 and 2004 listings, and the Phili area ranks high on the list.

http://www.gpec.org/infocenter/topics/economy/gmp.html (broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_Metropolitan_Product

I agree with rainrock that people tend to be indifferent towards Phili, but that's mostly because it sits between and is overshadowed by New York and DC. Boston also gets more air time, it seems.
Probably because its ranked lower on the world class list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
 
1,486 posts, read 4,026,916 times
Reputation: 496
I agree that Philly should be ranked higher. Philly is an important US city simply because of historical and cultural reasons. But Philly is also a major seat of commerce and business in the Delaware Valley. It's metro area is also huge; bigger than many other cities that outrank Philly proper.

But I agree it gets often overlooked because of its position between such important cities like DC and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,908 posts, read 12,519,839 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
But Philly is also a major seat of commerce and business in the Delaware Valley. It's metro area is also huge; bigger than many other cities that outrank Philly proper.
I would strongly disagree with that statement.Philadelphia has one of the most confined metros in the country.

Mercer County NJ 400,000 people and one of the wealthiest counties in the country (Princeton-Lawrenceville-Trenton) is about 15 miles from the city of Philadlephia and 65 miles from NYC, yet its included in NYC's metro and not Philly. That is absolutely ridiculous and screams of some shady politics still going on to this day between DC and NYC. It all began in the 1790's with a plot between NYC and Wash to steal Philadelphias political,cultural and financial might.They did a very good job as DC immediately got the Capitol and NYC soon got the gold . Thomas Jefferson(Va), James Madison(va),and Sec of Treasury Alexander Hamilton(NY) systematically stripped Philadelphia, Pennsylvania of being the political and financial power of the young country and would eventually steal the cultural aspect as well.

200 years later they are at it again, now Philly can't even get a county 15 miles away to be included in its census.

How does the Bay Area metro sprawl for 50-60 miles all the way down to San Jose. Ditto Wash( it gets to gobble up everything from Central Va all the way up to and including areas N of Baltimore , Bostons metro sprawls through a good swath of New England all the way down to Providence. But Philly is squeezed into 9 counties which directly touch Philadlephia.







Here is the GDP link.

http://www.pwc.com/extweb/pwcpublications.nsf/docid/3549C1C5922EE2FF8025728A00543FA9 (broken link)

Last edited by rainrock; 04-23-2007 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,852 posts, read 8,988,044 times
Reputation: 2364
These are the most important cities from most important to least:
  1. New York (of course)
  2. Washington, DC (government)
  3. Los Angeles (size)
  4. Chicago (comeback kid)
  5. Houston (New Chicago)
  6. Atlanta (sunbelt)
  7. Seattle (culture)
  8. Boston (historical)
  9. Philadelphia (historical)
  10. San Francisco (historical)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
 
1,486 posts, read 4,026,916 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I would strongly disagree with that statement.Philadelphia has one of the most confined metros in the country.

Mercer County NJ 400,000 people and one of the wealthiest counties in the country (Princeton-Lawrenceville-Trenton) is about 15 miles from the city of Philadlephia and 65 miles from NYC, yet its included in NYC's metro and not Philly. That is absolutely ridiculous and screams of some shady politics still going on to this day between DC and NYC. It all began in the 1790's with a plot between NYC and Wash to steal Philadelphias political,cultural and financial might.They did a very good job as DC immediately got the Capitol and NYC soon got the gold . Thomas Jefferson(Va), James Madison(va),and Sec of Treasury Alexander Hamilton(NY) systematically stripped Philadelphia, Pennsylvania of being the political and financial power of the young country and would eventually steal the cultural aspect as well.

200 years later they are at it again, now Philly can't even get a county 15 miles away to be included in its census.

How does the Bay Area metro sprawl for 50-60 miles all the way down to San Jose. Ditto Wash( it gets to gobble up everything from Central Va all the way up to and including areas N of Baltimore , Bostons metro sprawls through a good swath of New England all the way down to Providence. But Philly is squeezed into 9 counties which directly touch Philadlephia.







Here is the GDP link.

http://www.pwc.com/extweb/pwcpublications.nsf/docid/3549C1C5922EE2FF8025728A00543FA9 (broken link)
Philly is the 7th largest metro area in the country. Ahead of Dallas, ahead of Houston, ahead of Atlanta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 12:08 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,765,930 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Philly is the 7th largest metro area in the country. Ahead of Dallas, ahead of Houston, ahead of Atlanta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_areas
These are not the metropolitan areas. These are the statistical areas. It's a little different.

Statistical areas are a bit larger and usually encompass cities and towns outside of a city's metropolitan area. Still, Philadelphia's metro is still larger than both Houston and Atlanta's, but not Dallas and Fort Worth's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top